How can I get a food smell out of fabric couch?

Options
Frost
Frost Posts: 312 Member
Hi All-I got a really great sleeper sofa off of Craig's List yesterday. It's in near perfect condition except for the smell. I tried Febreeze but it didn't do much. It is definitely from food. Smells like garlic and fried foods to me. My partner refers to it as the angry onion couch since it reminds her off a strong onion smell. I was thinking of getting a carpet steamer with a furniture attachment. Any suggestions on a good odor remover or furniture shampoo?

Replies

• Frost
    Options
    Hi All-I got a really great sleeper sofa off of Craig's List yesterday. It's in near perfect condition except for the smell. I tried Febreeze but it didn't do much. It is definitely from food. Smells like garlic and fried foods to me. My partner refers to it as the angry onion couch since it reminds her off a strong onion smell. I was thinking of getting a carpet steamer with a furniture attachment. Any suggestions on a good odor remover or furniture shampoo?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    well...it has a mattress also.....you can replace that fairly cheap and I would suggest calling a carpet cleaner person because they also steam clean furmiture and get it professionally steamed clean.
    good luck
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Although I don't use the Rug Doctor I have my own, they do have a great selection of cleaning supplies near their store displays, one of which is for odors that are hard to remove.

Good luck with the ANGRY:angry: ONION:angry: COUCH:angry::bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:

Craigs list and Freecyle lists are the best....cept when you get angry onion couches:frown: :ohwell: :tongue:

FC:heart:
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Use Vinegar, Spray it.initially it will smell like vinegar, but once it dries off it won't smell. When I was potting trianing my kids they had accidents and I tried everything but the vinegar took care of it. I use it for my pet,not on him.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    If the colour of the couch is not too dark (try a small piece on an inobtrusive place) take dry Bicarbonate of soda and rub it into the smelly patch (if you can find it :explode: ) or sprinkle it all over the couch and gentle rub it in, leave for a few hours ( do the nose close to the couch test :noway: ) and vacuum off.... wahla.
    You can use this same method to get rid of bad smells in your fridge, leave bicarbonate of soda in a small open bowl in the fridge all the time, replacing as necessary , use Vanilla essence in the same way (fridge not couch :devil: :laugh: )

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
  • Frost
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thank you! And much cheaper than purchasing steam cleaner!!! Yay!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    If the covers come off the cushions you can take them off and wash them, then I always stick a fabric softener in the cover when I put the cushion back on. I got a recipe on line once that called for vinegar, Dawn and peroxide that worked well. If you google "pet oder out carpet vinegar dawn" it will probably take you straight to the recipe.
  • Frost
    Options
    Interesting. I knew peroxide works for blood stains but didn't know it removed odors.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Hi I know this thread is a little old but I was looking for the chat thread and I found this instead...

I got a used couch and tried fabreeze but the the scent was bad so I googled it and vodka seems to help because of the alcholol ..so I spritzd the couch with it and i swear it smelled better then the fabreeze. its still not 100%b but it smells fresher then it did before..good luck