Surgery??

Options
2»

Replies

• fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had lap band a year ago, 165 lbs gone forever, 150 more to go. Love love love the band, its not the easy way out for sure.
  • meeka79
    Options
    I've Thanks for already been approved and I call in my weight Dec 9.At that point I'll be on the wait lost.... You have to have a bmi of 40 or over. I've been to all the classes etc. Thanks for all of the advice
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I had gastric bypass 8 years ago...lost 106 pounds in the first year...and slowly over the next 7 years gained 54 of it back. OVER HALF! Now I am doing it the right way with diet and exercise. I never changed my lifestyle, and though I am happy about the 50 pounds that are still gone, I didn't need surgery to force me to do it. I could have done it by counting calories and changing my life back then. I was just too lazy and had no willpower. Now I am on the track I need to be on...just 8 years late.

If you don't have the willpower and you need to lose weight to save your life, then do it, but you must realize that the lack of willpower and poor eating & exercise habits are not fixed with any surgical procedure.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing your research and doing what you feel is best for you. Don't listen to the haters here and those that tell you to just do it "the old fashioned way". You will still have to do the work to lose and maintain. But the surgery puts the odds in your favor. I had gastric bypass 3 years ago and have maintained my 200 pound loss. Bariatric surgery saved my life.

I wish you the best!!
  • athenawho
    Options
    One of my best friends from high school got gastric. She was wearing a size 28 (she's 5 foot 1 inch tall) and she lost a lot in a short time and now she's a size 22 and she can't lose more.

It does force you to change how you eat because you get fuller faster but eventually you need to start exercising and eating right because it will balance you out.

It you get the surgery and not change your lifestyle you'll never reach your goal.

Frankly, I have nothing against it and I've told my friend that if she wants to continue to lose she'll have to start exercising and eating right.

It's cheaper to just not get the surgery and lose weight the old-fashioned way.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I too am in the process of vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I am currently using MFP as a tool the same as I will use the surgery as a tool. MFP has truly helped me with being "accountable" for the choices that I was making previously. I do agree with some of the posts here that surgery is not a "quick fix"; however if you have health issues and are willing to make the commitment to a "lifestyle" change, then I say go for it. My mother had lap-band surgery almost 4 months ago and is down 45lbs. Good luck with your journey.

I think with this attitude you have a fantastic likelihood of success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!