Im not a runner?

Options
For the past couple of years i have had trouble with my hip. If i do any activity at all it will hurt really bad. I have went to multiple doctors. My last doctor sent me to physical therapy. When i showed up to the physical therapy the doctor told me im not a runner, but i have been running on and off for the past 10 years (since i was 12) and mostly on for the past 4 1/2 because im in the Army. I have a hard time believing that the pain is caused by running, in it seems like this doctor is blowing me off. if it was possible i would try and get a new doctor but that's nearly impossible in the Army. I have not ran in a week and have 2 weeks before i go and see him again. I am still being active and working out. I am looking for any advice that anyone is willing to offer. I just dont want to give up something i enjoy doing (other then the pain it causes) because, any activity causes this.......

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    have you seen a chiropractor?
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have terrible hip tendonitis that i have had for over a year now. My doctor suggested physical therapy but I turned it down. He also said to lose weight and to build up my abdominal muscles. I didn't take him seriously when he said it, but months later I decided on my own to lose weight. So far I've lost about 15 lbs and have done a lot of exercises to strengthen my abs that came along with my workout routine that I started. The hip problems are 90% gone! And I can FINALLY go running again with little to no pain!

So my advice is lose weight and start building your ab strength!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a blowoff to me. I would search to see if Dr. Jolie Bookspan had any advice. My physio therapist said I'd never get back most of the motion in my shoulder after a car accident. With her advice I got about 90% of it back in weeks, and am maintaining about 95% motion without pain.

Her advice will likely be that you need to adjust posture and stretch some area in a different way than you would think of doing.

I thought my shoulder tightness was due to tight back mussles. It turned out to be the tight chest mussles that were the cause.
  • killerkat89
    killerkat89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight, stretched, taken on yoga. Losing weight makes the pain less but its still there. I did have one doctor that didn't blow me off, and he told me that the ball joint wasn't fitting right together, but since hes the only one smart enough to see the problem on an MRI, its not there. I would love to get in to see a chiropractor, but that's a new field the Army is letting us go see, so its really hard to get a doctor to approve it.