to my fellow teachers

Options
How do you get in all.water for the day when in the classroom, since we don't have the ability to go to the restroom as often as other jobs. This has been a struggle for me and my daily water intake suffers for it.

Replies

• meganmorsey
    Options
    It can be a tough problem, especially for elementary school teachers. I teach high school and it's not such a big deal because we have 8 minutes between classes. However, our classes are 90 minutes and sometimes it's tough to make it all the way through. I've been known to ask the teacher next door to listen in to my kids while I go to the restroom. Maybe you have a nearby teacher that could watch your kids for a couple minutes for you to run to the restroom. I know my friend who teaches elementary has such a problem with not enough time to go to the bathroom. She can't step out of the room at all with her kindergarten babies!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I pace myself. Since I have planning at 11:30, I have the longest stretch in the afternoon. I bring 2-20oz bottles of water plus my 24 oz Hydroflask and I finish that each day! (That's 64 oz during school)

- i bottle in the morning
    -Sip on my Hydroflask full of water all afternoon
    - drink the final bottle of water while doing car ramp duty (paretn pick up) after school

Your body adjusts, but I do bolt for the bathroom before I can get to my car! LOL!

Good luck!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, but not in the regular classroom so I can drink all I want when I want for the most part. I have a few minutes in between groups now and my room is right across from the bathroom.

However, when I was in the regular classroom, I would just say, "Who can't manage their own behavior while I'm gone to the restroom. It will take me 2 minutes. If you don't think you can behave for 2 minutes, then you need to come with me. I'm fine with that. Just know that if you tell me you can behave and I come back and see that you were dishonest with me, I'll be angry. Now, who's coming with me?"

Every year there were a couple that would need to come with me ... they'd hang outside the door while I went to the bathroom. This happened because they just wanted to go and see what was up or because they really couldn't behave for 2 minutes. On the way to the bathroom, I'd have a real quick chat and tell them I'm proud they can be honest with me and they know they need to work on their behavior. We worked on things they could do while I was out of the room. By the end of the first quarter I was able to just quickly leave the room without students ..... except the year I had "Carter." Carter's name has been changed to protect the not so innocent. He pretty much stuck by my side all year. :)

I'm an elementary teacher and taught 1st and 2nd most of the time. When I taught K, I was in a room with another teacher and we had a bathroom in the class so it was pretty much never an issue.
  • amkelley
    Options
    I taught for 7 seven years, but this year I have been able to stay home with my 3 children. Anyway- I would get a large water bottle and fill it up before I left for work- I would drink a lot on the way to work, when I got to work- before the kids got there- I would use the restroom and fill my water jug back up to the top. I could usually drink that until the kids first restroom break or at lunch, then fill the whole jug back up at and drink that. I'd usually be ataround 64oz by the end of the day and then I would fill it up to drink a bunch on the way home and then I would try to drink even more after I got home. I had to have a larger jug- like a 24 or 32oz- to get it all in! Good luck!
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have a giant, one liter bottle that I keep on my desk. I keep an eye on it during the day and try to drink one of those each day before I go home. If I don't drink it during the day, I stand and make myself drink it all before I go home for the day.
    (Note: I work as a subject teacher, not as a classroom teacher, so I have a cubicle desk in an office and I take a cart of my materials to each homeroom).

Another suggestion I have is making a routine of drinking just a bit (4 to6 oz--or more if you can) several times a day. For example,
    -1st thing as you get to your desk/classroom
    -between each class
    -before lunch
    -after lunch
    -on the way home

In my case, there are 6 periods a day, so if I take a moment to drink (about) a cup of water between each class, at the beginning and ending of the day, it really adds up.

On a personal note, there are things teachers HAVE to do for their sanity and health. That may be having a picture of family on your desk, or keeping a mirror to check your teeth for food after lunch or whatever it is that makes you tick. This may be one of those things. Between class periods (or however your day is divided) just let your students know you need a few minutes to drink some water and collect your thoughts. {As a bonus, you're modeling a good habit, and maybe you'll influence a student they will start drinking more water.}

Hope that helps!

<3 G.Mouse
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My suggestions were so good, I decided to post them twice!

double post

*headdesk*
  • tekavincent
    tekavincent Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Big problem for me. I have no breaks between classes and I easily teach away from my desk bell-to-bell. A couple of my coworkers have tried to leave me notes on my computer or ask me randomly if I've been drinking water but I find myself still struggling. I tend to try to get all my water in post school, but typically never succeed.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I'm an SLP in a school setting, so I hear ya. I carry a 32 oz. bottle of water around with me and refill it at least once throughout the day. It definitely helps. I also make sure to take my breaks that I have scheduled for myself...otherwise I'd go nuts.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just started teaching this year and I have been struggling so much. I used to drink 4L a day and now
    I simply cannot. I decided to cut out my coffee and teas in the am and drink the majority of my h2o in the evening.
  • Biologize
    Biologize Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I was in the military, so I use strategy. I don't try to drink water while I am teaching. My job conditions just don't allow me to use the bathroom except for lunch. When I wake, I drink a large glass of water and coffee. I can use the bathroom before I get in the car. When I come home, I juice enough to give me 5 cups of liguids in vegetable and fruit juice. I drink a large glass of tea at home or driving back from school. If I cook soup for dinner, that's another few cups of liquid. I walk or use the Elliptical at night, where I drink another cup.
  • KMiche82
    KMiche82 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am a junior high teacher so we have 5 min breaks in between classes, but if I must go during class and just cannot wait I ask the teacher across from me or next to me to listen in for me. Once you start drinking water on a regular basis your body gets use to it and you do not have the urge to go to the bathroom as much in the beginning it will seem you go to the bathroom every hour but that will eventually even out once your body has the routine down good luck!