Would love some advice on my revised regime?

Options
Hi

I would love some advice on my new revised exercise regime. I used to do cross trainer at a quite a high resistance 5x per week but have been finding I'm getting a bit of pain in my calves and thighs despite stretching properly.

I'm hoping this will be the answer but would love some advice from anyone in the know.

SUN: CROSS TRAINER 45-50 MINS + DOG WALKS

MON: WEIGHTS/RESISTANCE + DOG WALKS

TUES : CROSS TRAINER 45-50 MINS + DOG WALKS

WED: CROSS TRAINER 10-15 MINS + DOG WALKS

THURS: WEIGHTS/RESISTANCE + DOG WALKS

FRI: CROSS TRAINER 45-50 MINS+ DOG WALKS

SAT: CROSS TRAINER 10-15 MINS WEIGHTS/RESISTANCE + DOG WALKS

TOTAL: AT LEAST 5200 CALORIES BURNT PER WEEK

CROSS TRAINER (STRENUOUS) 3X PER WEEK
CROSS TRAINER (MILD) 2X PER WEEK
WEIGHT/RESISTANCE TRAINING 3X PER WEEK
DOG WALKS 7X PER WEEK

Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm having days off from cross trainer and days off from upper body weights but no actual days off from exercise. I usually spend half an hour with weight/resistance training. I have resistance bands and 2 1/2 kg and 4kg dumbells. Just incase anyone is remotely interested!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    What does your weight training look like?

I think I'd cut out one of the cross trainer sessions. No reason to run yourself into the ground unless you're actually training for a race or something. Your body needs rest so it can recover. You can still take a walk on that day, but you dont need cardio daily.
  • AH2013
    Options
    Thanks!!

There's actually two days that I'm not doing cardio, but doing weights...is that fine?

I'm just doing curls, lateral side lifts and two arm overhead raises, 6 sets of 16 reps each with 21/2 kg & 4 kg dumbbells!
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think doing the same kind of cardio all the time isn't very good for you (but I'm no expert), I just know that I run, and from what I've read online, it's reccomended that I do one day a week of swimming or biking so that different muscles are used. Can't really remember the science behind though.

For the weight training I think you should add in legs and back excercises.

Other than that, awesome for you! I need to get my fitness plan a bit more organised - I have the issue where there is so much I love to do, I feel bad that I can't fit it all in more than once or twice a week haha - I want to do yoga, pilates, strength training, running, and once a week of another cardio, but ideally I should be only doing 1 or 2 of these things and doing them more often haha.
  • AH2013
    Options
    I think doing the same kind of cardio all the time isn't very good for you (but I'm no expert), I just know that I run, and from what I've read online, it's reccomended that I do one day a week of swimming or biking so that different muscles are used. Can't really remember the science behind though.

For the weight training I think you should add in legs and back excercises.

Other than that, awesome for you! I need to get my fitness plan a bit more organised - I have the issue where there is so much I love to do, I feel bad that I can't fit it all in more than once or twice a week haha - I want to do yoga, pilates, strength training, running, and once a week of another cardio, but ideally I should be only doing 1 or 2 of these things and doing them more often haha.

Haha, I know Alex, it's addictive once you start getting fitter. I do cross trainer because I have a bone disorder and can't run or do high impact sports. I was told to do only 2-3 strenuous workouts and then 2-3 less strenuous ones in a week plus work on my upper body because the resistance I use the cross trainer at works my legs really hard, and the walking, but not nearly as much!!
    Good idea about the swimming though, I could totally do that, and I might start taking my bike out again....it's covered in sand in the back yard!

I'm trying to do most of my stuff at home or in my office gym...as they are free and the closest gym with trainer is so far away plus they are extortionate in Dubai and I don't feel I would get there enough to justify the cost. I had a great PT a few years ago at the club I was a member at, but I didn't work then and could go 5 mornings a week. Might do some digging about to find a freelance trainer as I am getting quite frustrated not knowing what to do!!

Thanks for the tips!!!! :smile: