First time running with Plantar fasciitis injury..

Options
It's been over two years since I was diagnosed with a plantar fasciitis injury. I've tried everything to treat and heal this injury ranging from acupunture, cortisone shots, expensive inserts, expensive running shoes bought at a specialty shop and icing and stretching. I'm happy to say I haven't had a flare up since this summer.

I was an avid runner who has one half marathon under my belt. I miss it like I miss an old lover.

Today, after my spin class and I'm properly stretched out, I'm going to try running on the treadmill for 5 minutes. I'm going to stretch and ice my foot immediately afterwards and I'm going to wait and see how I feel tomorrow. I've done this in the past and the next day (or next few hours) I was in pain for weeks.

Anyone else experience running again after this type of injury. I'm afraid surgery may be my only cure or never running again. :(

Replies

• 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I had it in both feet several years ago.....I found that putting supports in my shoes on a daily basis has kept it feeling great! I do not jog with them in ...but I wear them the rest of the time....hope that helps.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had it in both feet several years ago.....I found that putting supports in my shoes on a daily basis has kept it feeling great! I do not jog with them in ...but I wear them the rest of the time....hope that helps.

/\ same /\

I did have surgery on one foot and every once in a while have a ping in the other foot. Trying hard not to have the surgery there too. I have centre started running again. 3 miles.
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Taping my feet to take pressure off of the tendons helped me. My podiatrist explained to me that each time I walked and had the pain, it was tendons tearing. I do the exercises and have orthotics, but taping my foot has worked the best. I am just now starting to run again on the treadmill too, I ran for 20 minutes before the pain hit. I hadn't taped my foot because the running was a last minute thought. I will keep a roll of tape in my bag from now on.
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have Plantar Fasciitis also, I bought my insoles at the Good Feet store and saw wonderful results. I am not allowed to run now due to me having spinal stenosis. I was a very good sprinter in middle school, I miss running too. My physical therapist asked me what was wrong with me (for missing to run). I do have some trouble with pain but I know its because I need better shoes for support. I plan on getting a real good pair of shoes at Christmas. I buy cheap shoes which is just plain stupid with how active I am now and with the pain I could be avoiding with just getting Good shoes. I was wondering why U call it an injury I was told I will always have this problem. I got diagnosed with this when I was 19, I am 36 now and couldn't stand for long periods without being in agonizing pain. A podiatrist told me I will have it the rest of my life. Well I sure hope U get some results including pain relief. I never had to get shots for it because for one I didn't know they even did that and second once I got the new insoles the pain went away as long as I have decent shoes to wear. Good Luck!!
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I have also suffered from this. I did shots, wore inserts and stretched every single morning. After a year it completely healed and not recurred. I think that the daily stretching was very important - and I have continued this practice a few times a week for about 60 seconds.... fairly easy to make a part of my morning routine.
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    Taping my feet to take pressure off of the tendons helped me. My podiatrist explained to me that each time I walked and had the pain, it was tendons tearing. I do the exercises and have orthotics, but taping my foot has worked the best. I am just now starting to run again on the treadmill too, I ran for 20 minutes before the pain hit. I hadn't taped my foot because the running was a last minute thought. I will keep a roll of tape in my bag from now on.

Any special way you need to tape your foot? I did go to a PT once who was a client and he taped my foot but I did not feel any relief from it.
  • Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the night splints? I just got over plantar fasciatis in my right foot. It came out of nowhere and hurt like hell- so I can relate. I do alot of walking daily (the inefficiencies of public transportation) so complete rest was not an option. What I found was the most help was the night splint, as much rest as possible, and keep stretching it. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I think mine is as good as it's going to get.

I got professionally refitted for running shoes rather than going on past advice and bought two different brands to alternate. On doctor's advice, I'm using (off the shelf) gel insoles with arch support (I have high arches) which I transfer from shoe to shoe, including my everyday ones. I've started wearing shoes with a bit of a heel to work, dead flat ones which I used to love are agony!

I also massage and ice (I keep a round water bottle in the freezer and roll my foot over it), and spend twice as long doing calf and Achilles stretches as anywhere else.

Finally, if I feel a twinge, I will switch to low-impact cardio until it's entirely gone and only then resume running - pushing on through was what got me injured!

Good luck!
  • MayaNelson
    Options
    I've had planta fascitis on and off for years. I have doctor made inserts for all my shoes - tennis, dress, etc. I occasionally do not use the inserts - but then I pay for it later. Icing helps as does doing all the stretches regularly. My podiatrist on occasion has given me cortisone injections, however he did advise that the cortisone was a temporary fix and could do harm if I had too many of them.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I think mine is as good as it's going to get.

I got professionally refitted for running shoes rather than going on past advice and bought two different brands to alternate. On doctor's advice, I'm using (off the shelf) gel insoles with arch support (I have high arches) which I transfer from shoe to shoe, including my everyday ones. I've started wearing shoes with a bit of a heel to work, dead flat ones which I used to love are agony!

I also massage and ice (I keep a round water bottle in the freezer and roll my foot over it), and spend twice as long doing calf and Achilles stretches as anywhere else.

Finally, if I feel a twinge, I will switch to low-impact cardio until it's entirely gone and only then resume running - pushing on through was what got me injured!

Good luck!

I've done almost the same for my PF/heel spurs. I find I have better relief when I stay active - with one caveat - I cannot push myself to high mileage or speed increases too quickly. No more than 1 mile total increase per week with my running schedule. I also have to be very careful with plyometric activity or walking great distances on hard surfaces.

Other things that have helped: rolling a tennis ball under my foot several times per day, making sure my shoes have adequate arch support (I have flat feet. Running with poor support shoes caused my PF), getting deep tissue massages on my foot, and icing/stretching after activity. Also...NO HIGH HEELS and NO BALLET FLATS.

OOH and wearing a splint for a max of 4 hours daily - usually while I'm watching TV or sitting at my desk at work. I'm also thinking about trying a Strasbourg sock at night to keep the fascia stretched.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Add me to this list. I have been suffering now since Sept. It is killing me. I can't run or walk on treadmill. I have been using the rubber ball doing it now as I type this. Ice, stretching. I want it to go away. I don't know how I am going to lose weight. I have been using the elliptical doesn't hurt on there. I wish I knew a good routine in the gym that would help me lose weight that didn't include lunges, squats all those things hurt now. I am getting depressed.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I developed the injury in February of this year. My podiatrist prescribed a treatment plan of stretching, icing, and rest for 3 weeks time. It did greatly lessen the severity of my symptoms. He also told me to never walk around barefoot (this was one of my bad habits). Eventually I got custom-made orthotics from the podiatrist. I also practice yoga on a regular basis and have found that the deep stretching postures have really helped. I haven't had a flare-up in about 3 months.
  • dawnstl
    Options
    Have you tried the night splints? I just got over plantar fasciatis in my right foot. It came out of nowhere and hurt like hell- so I can relate. I do alot of walking daily (the inefficiencies of public transportation) so complete rest was not an option. What I found was the most help was the night splint, as much rest as possible, and keep stretching it. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree with the night splint. I have been battling this for about 9 months and finally went to podiatrist and got a cortisone shot which helped tremendously. In addition to that, I am not supposed to go barefoot (which I love), do stretching exercises and wear my night split (called the Strassburg Sock). I felt fine after my shot and eventually stopped wearing my Strassburg Sock. Mistake! I am now wearing it again and it really makes a big difference.

I have been running the entire time I've had this issue. The doctor never told me I needed to stop. Good luck to you!!
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    Okay. So far so good.

I did exactly what I said I was going to do. I did the spin class and then I hopped on the treadmill for only 5 minutes. I put in my headphones and blared my favorite workout song (Pat Benatar- Promises in the Dark) with a speed of 4 on the treadmill. Not a super fast pace but I didn't want to over do it my first time out.

Honestly, it felt soooo great to be running again.

So, I'm icing it as I type and I did my stretches. I can always feel the slight burning and tight sensation when I know I'm going to get a flare up when I do my stretches. I do not feel any of them.

I'm hopeful and optimistic.

Now answer some of your questions. My podiatrist had me sleep with a boot that absolutely killed me. I tried three nights of it and I was in so much pain and I lost feeling in my foot. I haven't used it since.

I gave up running only because it caused so much pain afterwards that I could barely walk. I work on my feet all day long (Server and Bridal Consultant) and I couldn't afford not being able to walk.

I still walk around barefoot and I need to stop doing that. I have, however, given up on shoes that have no backs. Things like flip flops or cute sandals because that is one of the culprits that caused my injury.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'm going to relax the foot for a bit, stretch and then go to work with my stability sneakers and inserts.

Christine
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    When you say stability sneakers are you referring to Skechers shape-ups or "rocker" style shoes?

I only ask because they may feel good on the feet but can actually encourage poor stride and foot strike.
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    When you say stability sneakers are you referring to Skechers shape-ups or "rocker" style shoes?

I only ask because they may feel good on the feet but can actually encourage poor stride and foot strike.

Nope. Just plain old New Balance black sneakers that my podiatrist recommended. They are supposed to have a little more stability in the heel and I wear them when I'm waitressing.
  • Barneystinson
    Options

[/quote

Nope. Just plain old New Balance black sneakers that my podiatrist recommended. They are supposed to have a little more stability in the heel and I wear them when I'm waitressing.

Ah, okay, good!
  • dawnstl
    Options
    Christine, try the Strassburg Sock. It's different from a boot and a little more giving. Just don't pull it up as high as the instructions say too otherwise you're toes get sore. I hate wearing anything on my feet when I go to sleep but I was able to get used to this sock pretty quickly.
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    Where can you buy the Strassburg Sock?
  • Salinat
    Options
    Water bottle in freezer, frozen golf ball. Sensory ball. I use these methods before bed. In 3 weeks i have spends 400 in running shoes and inserts. Nothing has worked! These methods before bed have helped.