neti pots...how weird are they?

2»

Replies

• JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    It does take a little getting used to, but it works!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I've used both a neti pot and a sinus rinse bottle. I prefer the sinus rinse bottle. It lets me control the flow and use some pressure if I need it. If I was really clogged up the neti pot would just go in one side and sit there until I got tired of standing over the sink.
    My surgeon gave me a rinse bottle after I had my septum fixed (turns out that was part of the problem) and it really helps clear out any extra gunk. The bottle also means I don't have to have my head at a funny angle so I don't have water running down my face.
  • ishmael81
    ishmael81 Posts: 14 Member
    I use one about 3 times a week. I used to get a sinus infection 5-7 times a year and haven't had one since I started using the neti.

It is a weird sensation, but once you get used to it (and get used to the benefits) it's very worth it.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Apparently, they're great stuff but they give me the heeby geebies!!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    It definitely feels weird, and can sting a bit if you get it too salty or not salty enough, but they are quite worthwhile. I have allergies, and using the neti pot helps relieve some of the sinus pain and pressure. In addition to flushing out anything that shouldn't be there, they help to keep your nasal passages moisturized. Dry nasal passages can lead to tiny cracks in the membrane that allow viruses in easier. So they really do help you stay healthier when there are colds spreading about.
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    I've been congested real bad for a week now cuz of the crazy unseasonalby warm weather here (I live in NJ). Someone had told me to get a Neti-Pot but i had no idea what one was... I googled and read about it and was gonna post a similar thread today, but you beat me to it.

Thanks for posting the question and thanks everyone for the answers! I'm definitely going to get one too!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
    My husband uses it all the time. He has horrible sinuses (to the point that they want to remove them). I personally cannot even attempt it because the thought of pouring water in my nose makes me gag but he feels much better within minutes. It's not going to cure you.... but it does lessen the symptoms.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I love my neti pot...I remember the first time I used one infront of my son, he was absolutely horrified...but I'm telling you, as a drug free alternative (I still pop the claritan) it's fantastic, and you feel great. If you don't like that, fill a sink with steaming hot water, bend over and put a towel over your and the sink so the steam can't escape, that clears you up AND opens your pores lol
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    We don't use the netti pot, but bought this squeeze bottle with the saline solution as a kit. Its easier cause you can just squirt the stuff up your nose instead of trying to tilt your head to get the stuff in your nose...either way you go, it does work great!
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    My father did this for years, but he would essentially "snort" a glass of salt water. He swore by it...
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    so, i feel like i've been fighting off the same sinus beast for the last two years or so, and i am turning to desperate measures. well, thinking about it, at least. i have an aversion to sticking things up my nose, especially water, but i think i'm going to give a neti pot a go.

does anyone use them? are they horrible to get used to? is the process akin to water-borading? do they work? i've heard a couple of good reviews, but not enough to actually get me to stick one up my nose, so i'm halfway hoping for a huge vote of confidence on the neti pot front, and i'm halfway hoping everyone will tell me to keep the blasted thing out of my nose, because the thought of it pretty much freaks me out.

what say you?

No, they are not like water-boarding. :laugh: It does feel weird though. I've had mine for a couple of years and I can't say I'm "used" to it, but it doesn't weird me out as much. It still feels funny though, and I find myself making funny faces when I first start the rinse every time. It kind of tickles when it runs out the other side of your nose.

I will say that I personally haven't seen any difference from an allergy standpoint, BUT I'm not consistent in using it every day. I do find that it helps immensely when I have a sinus infection, and when the winter air is dry and my sinuses hurt from lack of moisture.

Two tips: Even if it seems like a good idea, NEVER put any peroxide into your neti pot mixture. Not even 2 drops like I did. It will set your face on fire. But DO get some iodine and put a couple of drops into your mixture when you use it. It does not burn, and it helps get rid of the infection.
  • ajbeans
    I love my neti pot...I remember the first time I used one infront of my son, he was absolutely horrified...but I'm telling you, as a drug free alternative (I still pop the claritan) it's fantastic, and you feel great. If you don't like that, fill a sink with steaming hot water, bend over and put a towel over your and the sink so the steam can't escape, that clears you up AND opens your pores lol

Every time I try to do this I pass out. I have no idea why. I just can't do it. I've tried using cooler water, thinking I got overheated, but no. It's just the steam. Weird. I pass out if the bathroom gets steamy when I take a shower too.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    well, i popped my neti-cherry! :blushing:

it really wasn't so bad. my nose is still getting clogged up, but when i breathe, i feel like i'm actually taking big, deep breaths, and when i blow my nose, i'm actually sending something out other than air. so it's a definite improvement. i'm going to do it again before bedtime and see if it helps any tonight - that will be the real test!
  • ajbeans

it really wasn't so bad. my nose is still getting clogged up, but when i breathe, i feel like i'm actually taking big, deep breaths, and when i blow my nose, i'm actually sending something out other than air. so it's a definite improvement. i'm going to do it again before bedtime and see if it helps any tonight - that will be the real test!

Make sure to do it at least an hour before bed. If you don't, you'll probably have water draining down your throat all night. Which isn't a huge health problem, it just doesn't feel nice.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Just keep your head down and your mouth open when you're flushing the saline solution through. With a little proper technique, none of the salt water goes down your throat and it doesn't really feel weird at all.

smirk, chortle, smirk, grunt!

my mind is always halfway to the gutter, and this sounded deliciously inappropriate at the start! thanks for the (unintended) chuckles! but i will take your advice - i do not want salt water attacking the back of my throat!

LOL... yes... I admit - I was thinking the same things you were when I wrote the post. haha

And I'm glad to hear your first time wasn't so painful! :-)
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Really usefull tips Pals.
    Iwas only thinking about trying this procedure myself recently.
    I woke up with a horrible sticky mucus throat.
    I suffer with sinuses and I always feel like one nostrill is always slightly blocked.
    I'm going to definately try it soon.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    I am so not coordinated for the Neti-Pot. I have the squeezie bottle thingy. I LOVE IT. Makes a huge difference.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    After having sinus surgery, the ENT gave me the squeeze bottle kit. It works great and you can buy it at the pharmacy (probably Walmart too). Whatever you decide to use, DO NOT use plain water. One time I forgot to put the saline packet in the water and thought I was going to die! Also, lukewarm water works the best.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,309 Member

I use mine daily. You can use it as many times a day as you want. You can also make your own "powder" by using equal parts salt ( canning salt is a good choice, but you can use kosher salt, or sea salt, too.) and baking soda. 1/4 Teaspoon of Salt, with 1/4 Teaspoon of Baking soda. I use Brita filtered water, I've been doing it for years. It is a miracle cure for sinus problems and sinus headaches. Sometimes I'll use it three or four times a day until my headache is gone.