Someone please push me....

Options
...off this stupid plateau! Sitting at the same weight for a week...when I normally drop 2-3 lbs a week. Ive changed up my diet...will go low protein a few days then low carbs a few days. I have upped my water intake the last week..its not that time of the month....and the hubbys Xmas work Xmas party is in 10 days and I need to drop 6lbs for then to meet a mini goal of mine. Help?!

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    last chance workout!!! Hit it like there's big bucks on the line ;)
  • Anweena
    Anweena Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body doesn't like your diet change? Are you retaining any of that extra water? Sometimes my body just takes a week off of losing, even though I've done everything right. 2-3 lbs a week isn't the healthiest, maybe your body is just done with doing that and thinks you are 'starving' and is thus keeping the weight?
  • Ericgunner
    Options
    Maybe your body has got used to what you been eating and is storing instead of losing, have a weekend eat what you want to eat yes you will more than likely put some weight on. But it might be enough to kickstart your body into thinking it's not in starvation mode, and hopefully your weight loss will start again.

Good luck

Eric
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Try taking a break from the scale. Weighing every day can get incredibly frustrating the longer you have been losing, because your body changes more slowly with less to lose.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ...off this stupid plateau! Sitting at the same weight for a week...when I normally drop 2-3 lbs a week. Ive changed up my diet...will go low protein a few days then low carbs a few days. I have upped my water intake the last week..its not that time of the month....and the hubbys Xmas work Xmas party is in 10 days and I need to drop 6lbs for then to meet a mini goal of mine. Help?!

One week does not constitute a plateau and I'm not saying this to be a pecker. Stick to your plan for another couple of weeks and if you are still stuck at that point, examine the details. I don't think you need to complicate things further.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I only weigh at home every other day...and only officially weigh in once a week. I eat clean...and try to shake things up when things slow down..to keep my body guessing. Maybe some is water weight....maybe my body just needs a time out. I dont believe in cheat days....hell..I havent even had a cheat meal in months.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I found something out that shocked me! If you take Tylenol/Acetamenophen even one time, it will make you hold on to a few pounds of water! Crazy, I know! I don't know if you have taken it, but just a little fyi to stick in your back pocket for the future if not.

Also, if you did a crazy amount of exercise yesterday or the day before, the damaged muscles (which is a good thing) will retain water while they repair themselves to get bigger and stronger. That inflamatory process can hang on to a pound or two. Take a rest today and weigh tomorrow :)

I do work in the medical field so I tend to talk about physiology a little too much sometimes ;)
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think you should be rushing to loose weight, especially if you plan on keeping it off. It would be better to enter the slow steady race of a lifestyle change. 2lbs a week is hard to maintain, it'll be easy at first because your body will be will to release the extra fat storages. If you have been consistent with your eating and realize that your weight loss is slowing, it's probably a good thing. Showing that you are getting closer to your goals which will make it harder to loose. Do you exercise? If not, you should and that will also help greatly with loosing weight. Someone else on here mention to stop using the scale. I only use the scale as a secondary tool. My primary is the mirror. I even prefer to tell my progress by how my clothes fit. The scales misses out on a lot of things. So be patient, continue to work hard, and if you do this.... YOU WILL WIN IN THE END. Imagine how you could look at next years party:)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with one of the above comments. I dont believe one week is really a stand still. I been at a stand still for about 3 weeks, but I also haven't been pushing myself like I need too. Keep at it, drinks lots of water and I am sure you will see more weight come off
  • katcod1522
    Options
    Just the 30 day shred yesterday...but have a 4 mile run tonight after work with a buddy. No tylenol..but motrin a few days ago...for headache.

And yeah...probably not everyones idea of a plateau...but for someone who is used to the scale moving..its frustrating no less :) So..Ill stick to my plan thru the end of the week and see how things go Saturday when I weigh in officially..before my 7.5 mile run :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

And yeah...probably not everyones idea of a plateau...but for someone who is used to the scale moving..its frustrating no less :)

Of course it's frustrating. If you're trying to lose weight you want to see the number go down each week but unfortunately weight loss is non-linear. Changing things too often or too fast is counterproductive.
  • katcod1522
    Options
    I am a runner....so exercise isnt an issue for me. And I cross train 2 days a week as well. And it has taken me 5 months to drop 42lbs..so slow is my friend :) Just frustrating...as Im sure it would be for others as well :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I found something out that shocked me! If you take Tylenol/Acetamenophen even one time, it will make you hold on to a few pounds of water! Crazy, I know! I don't know if you have taken it, but just a little fyi to stick in your back pocket for the future if not.

Also, if you did a crazy amount of exercise yesterday or the day before, the damaged muscles (which is a good thing) will retain water while they repair themselves to get bigger and stronger. That inflamatory process can hang on to a pound or two. Take a rest today and weigh tomorrow :)

I do work in the medical field so I tend to talk about physiology a little too much sometimes ;)

I learned a couple things from this! Cool! Good to know!