Beating SAD

Options
2»

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the therapy idea. I mean, it can help some but for me it really does not. I find that reading a lot, spending time with friends and family, and keeping my mind busy help best. :) Of course, have a psychiatrist managing your meds and regular appointments with them!!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the therapy idea. I mean, it can help some but for me it really does not. I find that reading a lot, spending time with friends and family, and keeping my mind busy help best. :) Of course, have a psychiatrist managing your meds and regular appointments with them!!!

Don't you have therapy if you see a psychiatrist? Surely he/she doesn't just hand you a script and toss you out the door.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Don't you have therapy if you see a psychiatrist? Surely he/she doesn't just hand you a script and toss you out the door.

My psychiatrist is amazing. Really nice guy. I've been seeing him since 2002. However, it's not talk therapy it's medication management. I hesitate seeing someone that is not an actual DOCTOR. Sometimes a counselor is just someone with a master's degree. So no, he does not just toss the pills at me.
  • vallejos6
    vallejos6 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is just keeping this in mind: As of December 21/22, the days start getting longer and we get more sunshine back in our day - 3 min per day, if memory serves. I know that doesn't seem like much to go on, but for me it really helps. I look forward to the lengthening of the days, and if I remember to I try to do something to commemorate the solstice and celebrate the return of the sunshine. :smile:

From a more practical standpoint - I agree with others to check with your doctor. Your meds could probably stand a tweak.
    The amount of daylight you gain back per day actually depends on where you are and does vary a little bit each day. For instance, in interior Alaska, we get around 7 minutes back each day, but we are quite dark right now (sunrise at 10:30am and sunset at 3:30 right now and we'll lose about 2 1/2 more hours before the solstice hits).

I think the advice given so far has been very good.. vitamin D is a lifesaver, which I actually take year round. Exercise helps a lot and those full spectrum lights are great and very inexpensive now!

~~Veronica
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

My psychiatrist is amazing. Really nice guy. I've been seeing him since 2002. However, it's not talk therapy it's medication management. I hesitate seeing someone that is not an actual DOCTOR. Sometimes a counselor is just someone with a master's degree. So no, he does not just toss the pills at me.

Talk therapy isn't the only kind of therapy. I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Behavioral modification therapy tends to work the best for depression that doesn't seem to be caused by environmental factors, at least in my experience. There are therapists and psychiatrists who use those methods, and there's also a workbook available that you can use on your own. It helps you identify the behaviors that feed into the depression and the behaviors that help you get out of the funk, and teaches you how to engage in the positive behaviors even when you just want to sink into bed and marinate in your sadness.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Agreed! ^^
  • aspen1377
    aspen1377 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this and for everyone's great replies. I've never been officially diagnosed, but I a known struggle with being in a funk during the winter months. Love the holidays of course and my birthday and anniversary are both in December so I have lots to celebrate! However I just said to my husband earlier tonight that I feel a sense of doom and gloom and I don't know why. I was just telling him ten days ago how blissfully happy and thankful i am. However I live in nebraksa and it changes seasons every fifteen minutes so that's why it's kind of up and down...thank u much!