Would you do this?

Options
A local radio station was taking "contestants" this morning for a weight loss challenge. They were using some BMI charts to pick the "heaviest" contestants, figure out a lofty but "safe" goal, and if they reach their goal by Dec 22, they get $1000.

As tempting as it was, I just kept thinking that yeah, I COULD do it, but that doesn't mean I should try to lose 25 lbs in 22 days, right? I want this to be the LAST time I try to lose this weight, and I know if I starved myself to lose part of it fast, it would just come back with a vengeance as soon as the weigh-in was over.

What are your thoughts? Would you try something like this, or is 1+ pound a day just ridiculous even for a short term diet supervised by a trainer and dietitican?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A local radio station was taking "contestants" this morning for a weight loss challenge. They were using some BMI charts to pick the "heaviest" contestants, figure out a lofty but "safe" goal, and if they reach their goal by Dec 22, they get $1000.

As tempting as it was, I just kept thinking that yeah, I COULD do it, but that doesn't mean I should try to lose 25 lbs in 22 days, right? I want this to be the LAST time I try to lose this weight, and I know if I starved myself to lose part of it fast, it would just come back with a vengeance as soon as the weigh-in was over.

What are your thoughts? Would you try something like this, or is 1+ pound a day just ridiculous even for a short term diet supervised by a trainer and dietitican?

No, this isn't even a good idea for a short term diet supervised by a trainer and dietitian. Here is a guide to safe and healthy weekly weight loss goals:
    if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely (2.5-3.0 depending on how much you have to lose)
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    1 pound a day is not a good idea. The only way that would even be conceivable would be if it person was hospitalized and had constant monitoring. I can't imagine that it would be healthy any other way.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    No freaking way - its stupid, its unsafe and why take the risk of making things WORSE?!?!? Its damn stupid... sorry.... Ive dropped 66 pounds in just about 6 months, I have another 65-70 to go, and would rather be the smart individual who does this the right way. That $1000.00 can easily be earned on my own....and they take less taxes out of me via my paycheck, than they do for winning a competition...
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race.
  • RachelRunner78
    RachelRunner78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Nope...I might of before I made this last commitment to a lifestyle change...before I always looked at it as a diet and have Yo-Yo dieted for years.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'd do it for a million and no less :bigsmile:
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Just to be honest, I am with you all on this...I was listening briefly this AM and was half-interested until they ask someone who was the same height as me (5'9") and weighed 210 if she thought she could lose 25lbs by Dec 22 and she was like "well, I would hope so".

I was kind of sitting there with the same reaction as you, like how is that safe?
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    $1000 is not enough to do something like that, but the question is how much would be? Keeping in mind that there is no guarantee you would win.
  • baileysmomma922
    Options
    no it doesn't seem very healthy and I don't fully agree with the BMI chart because it isn't accurate.
  • sbehe
    sbehe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, a loyal Bob and the Showgram listener must be. I heard and thought the same thing. He was originally talking 35 pounds by Dec. 22. Even after the dietician told him 5-6 pounds in three weeks, 10 max still did not want to hear. Had to go to work before they found a Dr., wonder what he/she said. I love 'em, but they need to be careful to not hurt someone. AND, Bob saying you would not even notice if a really heavy person lost 35 pounds, that made me a little angry, but that is what Bob does!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Ahhhh, a loyal Bob and the Showgram listener must be. I heard and thought the same thing. He was originally talking 35 pounds by Dec. 22. Even after the dietician told him 5-6 pounds in three weeks, 10 max still did not want to hear. Had to go to work before they found a Dr., wonder what he/she said. I love 'em, but they need to be careful to not hurt someone. AND, Bob saying you would not even notice if a really heavy person lost 35 pounds, that made me a little angry, but that is what Bob does!

No kidding...and ever seen a picture of Bob? I considered emailing him and saying that I would do a challenge versus him...if I lost more weight than he did by Dec 22 I get the $1000.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I would, but only because I could really really really really realllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy use 1,000! LOL.
  • sbehe
    Options
    I like the "Bob" challenge. You should do it, but he would just say he is happy being fat and not do it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I would, but only because I could really really really really realllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy use 1,000! LOL.

Ditto. I'd do riskier things than that for 1k right about now.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A $1000 isn't worth your health. Slow and steady to lose the weight and keep it off long term.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I like the "Bob" challenge. You should do it, but he would just say he is happy being fat and not do it.

Done!

Bob,

I am 32, and a full time working mom who is 5'9" and currently 242 pounds. I've also been a loyal listener since the she-who-remains-unnamed days.

Since we all know that it is dangerously unhealthy and nearly physically impossible to lose 25 pounds in less than 4 weeks, I would love to ask you to join a weight loss challenge with me.

If I can lose more weight than you (weighing on your scales, obviously) by Dec. 22, I get to keep the $1000. I would use it to pay for the ridiculously expensive wellness center fees as I continue my long-term weight loss journey over the next year. (Seriously, I need it, it's like $90 a month for a family membership.)

From one of your P1s,

Me

I'll update if I get a response!
  • sbehe
    Options
    Love it! Hope to hear him talk about it in the morning!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    did he ever respond?
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    One pound a day isn't realistic, doesn't sound like.

Spread the weight loss out and plan for realistic "bad days", so you don't get discouraged if you fall off the wagon.

I'm not an expert, just trying to use common sense, but I may be wrong about the whole thing.

katie