Lost my motivation ---

Options
BAH

Hi Guys,

I lost my motivation so badly - i used to work out 5 times a week and now i am lucky if it's once !

I love working out part - i enjoy it a lot :) it's to get to the gym - how can i pass this - and when i don't go because i am lazy or feeling blah i feel guilty and i already packed 4 pounds - i need to get back on track

what do you guys do ?

Any ideas ?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BAH

Hi Guys,

I lost my motivation so badly - i used to work out 5 times a week and now i am lucky if it's once !

I love working out part - i enjoy it a lot :) it's to get to the gym - how can i pass this - and when i don't go because i am lazy or feeling blah i feel guilty and i already packed 4 pounds - i need to get back on track

what do you guys do ?

Any ideas ?:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I make a commitment to someone to meet them there. I've been introducing myself to people at the gym and talking to them and seeing if they want to meet to work out together sometime. And I'm normally a very shy person! But that's what I need for days I don't want to go.

Also, maybe you're bored with what you're doing. Take a class, do something totally different. Make it exciting.

If all else fails, make a commitment to someone online and have a partner you can be accountable to for going to the gym, etc. If you make a commitment to someone to go, you're much less likely to flake.

You can also change up when you're going to the gym. Don't feel so motivated going after work? Get up early and do it first!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    yea..that is tough sometimes...get naked ..stand in front of the mirror and just do a 5 minute workout...it will turn into a longer workout usually
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Start out small. Make a mini goal.

Tell yourself to hit the gym 3 days a week.
  • phern55
    Options
    For what it's worth here are my 2 cents ...

Stop beating yourself up.
    Tomorrow's a new day.
    If you are thrown off your 5 trips to the gym a week routine, maybe it's gotten too routine.
    Maybe go at a different time of day. Different type of work. You know what I mean.
    If you get there once or twice next week, and then maybe 3 times the week after you will be on your way back to what you are looking for.
    Hang in there, stick to your goals, but see the big picture and that you may be off track a bit but there are people out there facing bigger issues.
    Don't despair.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do you have or can you get a workout buddy? It's really helped me. Like you I enjoy working out but sometimes I lack the umph or I *think* I'm too busy to get to the gym. But I started doing a strength training program with a friend of mine and it has really helped me stay on track. We are committed to following the program and if one of us doesn't show, the other one has to do it alone, and that's no fun.

I used to think I liked to run/ work out alone, that it was a solitary activity for me, but actually I've come to really appreciate the constant presence and support of a friend.

So that's what I'd recommend. Good luck.
  • Julie837
    Options
    Hi, this happens to me too. I love working out, but sometimes the hassle to get started is overwhelming. Now I think 60 minutes a day, regardless of where or how I do it. If it's the gym, great, if not, I go for a walk, or stay home and do sit ups, etc...Even if i can't stay on a diet, or I'm stalled, I can at least work out. It's for your heart!! The weight is secondary.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I make sure I work out in the mornings.. this way I can get my workout in for the day and eat healthy throughout the day. If I left it until the evenings, I would find every excuse not to work out.. but that's just me! :laugh:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one - back to normal
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am routinely ran over by my wagon....
    Whether it is exercise or food....

The only thing one really can do....
    Get up....swear at the damn thing and run it down.
    :flowerforyou:
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I go first thing in the morning
  • imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I try to remember the good feeling I had after my last workout and how it feels better than the guilt of not going. I've heard when you don't feel like praying, that's when you need to pray the most. I think it's the same with exercise. I've never felf bad that I exercised when I've finished a workout. Good luck!
  • brmeese
    brmeese Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree that you might want to try switching your routine up some. Go 3 days a week every other day or even 2x a week. Change what you do...treadmill, elliptical, weights...mix it up and try to have some fun with it. You have a great goal and you have done a GREAT job...Keep up the good work. Remember one day at a time and move on! We all have bad times just the like the good times. You will make it back look outside the box. Trust me I have done this too my biggest problem is that I continually beat myself up over it. It is a lifestyle that we have to train ourselves for. We are human and we will fall down...just get back up and brush yourself off. :smile:
  • renayeb
    renayeb Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some workout equipment for home. I also have a gym membership and am too lazy to go. I say I am waiting to become smaller and maybe gain some strength back. Anyway, I get on my home treadmill 2x a day and stepper. I also use my husbands punching bag and cord weights. This stuff is sitting right in my livingroom and diningroom so I can never have an excuse not to use it. As for a Partner or Friend I use this website for my motivation. The people on here really care about each other so think of it as not only disappointing you but unmotivating to others on this site
    .:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Keep the moral high. We know you CAN do it so get to it girl. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I work out at night after I get home from work. The first thing I do is go upstairs, change my clothes from the day, and put on my workout clothes, Then I grab something to eat and do not sit on the couch. That is key for me! Then sometimes I meet someone at the gym, sometimes I take my son with me. But I go, 5 times a week!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? They help you to motivate to burn calories. Add some new songs to you Ipod, switch up exercises. Even dancing, long walks or try something new! I'm here for you. I'll get downstairs for a workout at 9:00pm if I've put it off that long. I just ask people on this site to give me heck and make me go! Once I start, I'm sooo :happy: :drinker:
  • melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I am so touched ! I went back to my muay thai it was a good work out yesterday - i can't walk today because of it - i hurt but it's a good kind of hurting...

last week i gained 2 more pounds ? i think i am going to ignore the god damn number for a week or two and work out and see what happens !

and every time i don't feel like working out i will read this thread

this is so wonderful - thank you for all of your support

so many beautiful people here

hugs and kisses to you all