Can I trust it?

Options
A report on my new HRM and calories: At the end of my normal, interval workout, the machine usually reads about 320 or so calories burned. My HRM read 382.

I use(d) MFP's calculations for the weight training, etc. but at the end of the weight session, and abs and stretching, the total cals burned read 604 on my HRM.

Can I trust it?

Just wondering....

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    A report on my new HRM and calories: At the end of my normal, interval workout, the machine usually reads about 320 or so calories burned. My HRM read 382.

I use(d) MFP's calculations for the weight training, etc. but at the end of the weight session, and abs and stretching, the total cals burned read 604 on my HRM.

Can I trust it?

Just wondering....
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is probably the most accurate count of the calories you are actually burning because it's taking into consideration details that are specific to you.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is probably the most accurate count of the calories you are actually burning because it's taking into consideration details that are specific to you.

Yes, I agree! :drinker:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A couple of folks were saying yesterday that the MFP calories burned calculator is waaay higher than what you'd actually burn.
  • slieber
    Options
    I'm not so sure. It appears my own calorie burning is higher - ever so slightly higher, actually - than what MFP is showing.

I programmed the thing, of course, but can't remember now what it was it asked. I don't recall it asking for an age, but that doesn't mean it didn't (I programmed the watch, plus did an online calorie thingy that someone here had posted, so might be confusing the two!).

I did find it rather amusing today at the gym that when the person next to me took their hands off their own machine's HR handles, my stats showed up. I wonder if the person was a bit confused! :-)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    machines aren't accurate nor is MFP they are all rough estimates that's why its best that you use a HRM (especially if you eat your exercise calories)

Go with what your HRM says.

Good job on your calorie burn.

FYI- On my days at the gym when I do cardio and weight training I just log it all under cardiovascular I added it under exercises not listed and just enter the time my HRM says I worked out for and how many calories. Instead of breaking it up. But thats just me.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    one more thing when your really pumping and your heart rate is high you burn more calories.
    I aim to burn 10 calories a minute.
  • slieber
    Options
    Today, between my cardio (interval 30 mins- range 120-150 bpm evenly distributed) and an hour and a half ballet class, my HRM said I used 1095 cals. 515 was for the cardio plus a bit extra, and the rest with ballet class. :-)

When I plugged in the time in MFP's dance whatsitthingy, it was very close to the HRM's version. Only the cardio was off.

I'd like to break it up myself.

Now, I heard something somewhere, or read it on here, that we should subtract the basal cals from the HRM's one and use that for our exercise calories. Can someone please refresh my memory on what to do?
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    machines aren't accurate nor is MFP they are all rough estimates that's why its best that you use a HRM (especially if you eat your exercise calories)

Go with what your HRM says.

Good job on your calorie burn.

FYI- On my days at the gym when I do cardio and weight training I just log it all under cardiovascular I added it under exercises not listed and just enter the time my HRM says I worked out for and how many calories. Instead of breaking it up. But thats just me.
    I do this as well.. it is just eaiser to log the total minutes and calories burned. Also... my polar 6 HRM states that I burn many more calories than my treadmill read out. I'm sure that it is due to my weight and age.. I love my HRM!!! It keeps me in the zone.
  • slieber
    Options
    My ballet teacher is sure that I would burn a lot more cals in the class I take with her on Wednesday, so now I'm charged with making sure I'm wearing it for that class. It's a much tougher class (I can't even get through the whole barre without a rest!). We shall see.... :wink:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I love my HRM it makes me push harder. Because I set my own personal calorie burn for when I workout

I even have my sound on so if im not in my target heart rate zone it will Beep like crazy or if Im pushing too hard and I went above my max it will Beep.

Its a great guide