Muscles that running works?

Options
Quick question, does running work ab muscles? Just wondering...... What are other muscles it specifically works, besides the calf muscles.

Replies

• ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Abs, calves, thighs (both inner and outer) gluts (butt) and it also works those back muscles...at least for me that is true...total all over workout in my opinion, blessings !!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't know the specifics, but it is one of the best whole body exercises you can do. And yes, it does work your core which includes your abs.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not a professional, but it depends on your stride and the the incline, I think. Can work thighs, calves, glutes, core...
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Running works nearly every muscle in your body to some extent, if done properly. The primary muscle worked is the heart, hence the name cardiovascular exercise.
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    It depends on the type of running you're doing.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    After a really long run, even my biceps can be slightly sore because they are flexed.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • billdelong
    Options
    It can work most muscle groups. Your arms get work because they're pumping to help you move forward in your stride. Obviously, your legs get most of the work, but your core is engaged (or should be), plus it improves your cardiovascular abilities and is a great fat-burner. Good luck & keep those sneakers laced up! :happy:
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    "ANSWERS.YAHOODOTCOM: Can you tell me every muscle used in running and its spicific function in running?
    like maybe the calf is used to push off etc. etc.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

it would take a lot of writing to answer this question completely because you use nearly every muscle in your body to run so I will focus on the major ones

your calves are for pushing off the ground; your quads on top of your upper leg are to stabilize the leg upon contact with the ground, your hamstrings behind the upper leg are to propel you forward, your abdominal muscles (abs) are to stabilize your torso from the impact forces, three little known muscle groups in your pelvic region, groin, and far lower back support your spine, your pectorals, triceps, and biceps as you pump your arms help your legs move in sync, there are probably more but these are all i can think of off the top of my head"

If you keep your back straight, it is especially good for your core & back, because it's working to keep you from hunching forward as you get more tired.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Quads, hamstrings, glutes. Depending on posture, form, and surface incline you'll hit some of these more than others. It will work the abs, but I think it's best to work both the abs and low back in addition to running to keep your form from collapsing on longer runs. On longer distances your upper body will start to hunch over if you're not strong through your core.
    Also good for the back to be worked in addition to the abs to ward off imbalances that can cause injuries.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    deleting double post