How much cardio?

Options
How much cardio are you doing daily?

I just started almost 2 weeks ago (when I bought my treadmill) and am now doing 40 min per day at about a 3.5 brisk walk (almost a jog). It works out to just a little over 2km/day, which I think is probably pretty good. I do it 6 days a week (I take Saturdays off)!

So how much "should" I be doing? Or am I doing enough?

Replies

• Mommy2Girls
    Options
    How much cardio are you doing daily?

I just started almost 2 weeks ago (when I bought my treadmill) and am now doing 40 min per day at about a 3.5 brisk walk (almost a jog). It works out to just a little over 2km/day, which I think is probably pretty good. I do it 6 days a week (I take Saturdays off)!

So how much "should" I be doing? Or am I doing enough?
  • Samanimal83
    Samanimal83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    well- it looks like your loosing weight, so I say your doing plenty! You'll have to kick it up a knotch once the weight stops coming off... but congrats for coming this far!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I do 3 hours a day, some days more.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    THATS GOOD FOR NOW BUT YOUR BODY WILL GET USE TO THAT AND YOU WONT LOSE WEIGHT, YOU WILL HAVE TO UP THE TIME, DO INTERVALS, AND ADD OTHER WORKOUTS AS WELL. MAYBE SOME DVDS UNLESS YOU GO TO A GYM. I NORMALLY DO ANYTHING BTW 2-3 HOURS OF CARDIO, PLUS I DO WEIGHTS.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

is that because you are a trainer and do it at work? awesome...what is the schedule like?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    What you doing is fine. You will know when what you're doing becomes easy and like hibber22 said you can kick it up a knotch. I do 2 hours daily but I do it for the extra food:happy: !
  • fitchick99
    Options

is that because you are a trainer and do it at work? awesome...what is the schedule like?

well....from 9-10 am....cardio scuplt class, 10-11 am, switches btw step and flex step, 11-11:30, core 1000, I have one on one clients from 12:30-2:30, then I teach a circuit class, all on the machines 3-4pm..............on weekends I teach step,cardio groove, ab class, done by noon, and sundays triple threat 1.5 hour class, and spin class 45 minutes, I teach Zumba two nights a week, and combat one night a week, then in there I try to get my "own" workout in..:tongue: I love raquetball and tennis, so I try to take on 2 games a week, once the nice weather returns I can strap on the rollerblades again, I adore rollerblading :smile: there's nothing better then being paid to be int he gym, motivation at it's best, I think anyone can do it, if you're going to be at the gym anyhow, why not get paid.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

well....from 9-10 am....cardio scuplt class, 10-11 am, switches btw step and flex step, 11-11:30, core 1000, I have one on one clients from 12:30-2:30, then I teach a circuit class, all on the machines 3-4pm..............on weekends I teach step,cardio groove, ab class, done by noon, and sundays triple threat 1.5 hour class, and spin class 45 minutes, I teach Zumba two nights a week, and combat one night a week, then in there I try to get my "own" workout in..:tongue: I love raquetball and tennis, so I try to take on 2 games a week, once the nice weather returns I can strap on the rollerblades again, I adore rollerblading :smile: there's nothing better then being paid to be int he gym, motivation at it's best, I think anyone can do it, if you're going to be at the gym anyhow, why not get paid.

awesome..you are lucky or fortunate or both
  • RhondieJFB
    Options
    I had mentioned here before that 2 years ago I was in the best shape of my life. To get that way I ate better and did 1 hour of cardio kick boxing 5 days a week. I went from a size 12 to a size 4. I am nothing but a couple years older, and don't do cardio kick boxing because of my health, so this time it might come off much slower.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Lucky!

As great as that is, I wouldn't recommend this for anyone training for less than a year. People new to training should stick to 3-4 days per week of about 60 minutes of activity. It helps prevent overreaching and overuse injuries.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started five weeks ago and started with 20 min cardio and have kicked it up to 40 minutes. I usually do 4 days a week sometimes 5, but I also work 60 hours a week, so it is not easy to find the time, but I try to jog or do a step program while I watch a show to make the time go by quicker. I have hit a plateau, so I know next week I am going to kick it up to 60 minutes.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do between 60min and 120min- 6-7 days a week.
  • fitchick99
    Options

Lucky!

As great as that is, I wouldn't recommend this for anyone training for less than a year. People new to training should stick to 3-4 days per week of about 60 minutes of activity. It helps prevent overreaching and overuse injuries.

I totally agree with you on that one, i've been at this a really really long time...yes i'm THAT old!
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I can only get to the gym on certain days, so I don't do daily cardio. I can do Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun only and I do about 30 mins on those days. Granted, I'm in daily ballet class (apart from Friday, when I go to a PT to put my body back together! :laugh: ), including those cardio days.

I wish I could do more but the schedule won't allow it. I now do interval training with that time, so I'm hoping my metabolism will kick back into higher gear that way.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I do it everyday! and I weight train 3-4 days a week.

Keep doing what your doing! In time you may need to increase your time
  • Mommy2Girls
    Options
    THATS GOOD FOR NOW BUT YOUR BODY WILL GET USE TO THAT AND YOU WONT LOSE WEIGHT, YOU WILL HAVE TO UP THE TIME, DO INTERVALS, AND ADD OTHER WORKOUTS AS WELL. MAYBE SOME DVDS UNLESS YOU GO TO A GYM. I NORMALLY DO ANYTHING BTW 2-3 HOURS OF CARDIO, PLUS I DO WEIGHTS.

I wish I had the time to do more, but it's not that fesable. I have 2 babies at home and a husband that works around the clock....So maybe I will add some jogging into my workout now to increase my HR and see what happens.
  • fitchick99
    Options

I wish I had the time to do more, but it's not that fesable. I have 2 babies at home and a husband that works around the clock....So maybe I will add some jogging into my workout now to increase my HR and see what happens.

You can definitely work around two kids.....there's lots just around your own home you can do....skip rope, 15 minutes is 135 calories run up and down your stairs for 15 minutes and you'll burn around 130 calories for a 120 pound woman, power squats while their eating dinner, put em in a stroller and go running...walking...rollerblading, dance with the girls, if really young, put em in a front carrier when you do light housework, I have a client who wears ankle and wrist weights while doing daily chores, and it works, you burn calories.....I'm a real big believer in there is always time for your health...there's always five minutes here and there that you can steal even in a busy household to take care of your personal health, and your kids pick up on it, my littlest ones now run up and down the stairs to The backyardigans music, one song they make 9 runs, then they try to beat it, little do they know they're exercising, to make it even better, I make them chase me!.....you can add it in, just have to get creative...and I got six kids, and a doctor as a hubby, who is NEVER home...always a crisis, always a mommy ready to have a baby.....and I also work, trust me it can be done.
  • nevertellen34
    Options
    I try to get in a hour of cardio each day if I can.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You do have time you just have to find it or make it. I have two little kids myself plus I work fulltime and I have a needy husband lol who works as well- So add those tasks on top of housework and homework, baths, dinner, and my sanity I have to fit exercise into the equation I used to say I didn't have time but- If you wait for time it will never come-

Workout at home there are plenty of DVD's that are awesome, Taebo amped (cardio/strength training), 30 Day Shred is good too and that one is only 20 minutes long, Gym's have childcare as well, Take long walks for at least an hour- If your kids are small enough to go into strollers that would be perfect or if they are old enough to ride bikes or scooters it would be a good activity for them as well.
    Put on some rollerskates and put the kiddies in the stroller and hit the street- Just some ideas