HRM

Options
My husband has said he'll buy me a Heart Rate Monitor for Christmas, and he's said to pick one, Although I would like something that works decent, we don't want to be spending alot on one.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

(I live in the UK)

Replies

• LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Shop online at Amazon or Ebay for a Polar FT4.

Mine was $70 instead of over $100
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it. I got it on amazon...wasn't too expensive and is simple.
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use the one from Lloyds Pharmacy - not too expensive, and does a great job!

:bigsmile:
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and i love it, i even wear it when i'm not exercising. I think it cost around £60.00 on Amazon. Not sure about as hubby bought for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT7 has a few more functions and you can change the battery yourself, but it costs slightly more than the FT4. Both are excellent and are pretty accurate.
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and love it! ordered mine through heartratemonitarsusa.com ....cost was just a little over $100. Lots of reviews on many styles/types/brands.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and i love it, i even wear it when i'm not exercising. I think it cost around £60.00 on Amazon. Not sure about as hubby bought for me.

Cals burned while wearing it when not exercising will not be accurate as the calculation embedded in the watch assumes a certain oxygen uptake that does not occur with a low HR (not pushing yourself)
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 from Amazon and love it!!! Simple and easy to use.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    FT7 can be had for under $80 if you shop around.
  • msannmarie
    Options
    I just ordered the Polar FT4 from Bodytronics yesterday - $61.88 (on sale) - no tax or shipping charges. Happy to see it is a popular model. Can't wait to get it!
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    Do the FT4/7 have chest straps?
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have the F7 in pink and love it. It has a chest strap. I'm not sure how this differs from the FT7, etc
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Cals burned while wearing it when not exercising will not be accurate as the calculation embedded in the watch assumes a certain oxygen uptake that does not occur with a low HR (not pushing yourself)

I wear mine as a watch without the chest strap not a HRM during the day (when not exercising). I love the Polar FT7. It works really well and the watch is comfortable enough to wear during every day activity. Being able to change your own battery is a big deal. I think I got mine for about $80. I also really like the fact that it communicates with the machines at the gym, so I don't always have to be looking down at my watch to get my heart rate.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Polar FT4, I've been very pleased with mine - great Christmas present.

Right now, Amazon are offering several colours at a discount, eg bronze or orange and black for under £55, which is a great saving. Base.com are offering all colours for £55.99. Both companies include free shipping.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-FT4-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B0037V01SK

http://www.base.com/buy/product/polar-ft4-heart-rate-monitor/dgc-sal-pol-90036752.htm

EDITED TO ADD:
    Do the FT4/7 have chest straps?
    Yes, all heart rate monitors worth having use a sensor mounted on a chest strap. The modern polar ones are made of cloth and are comfortable.