how many of you are grammar nazis?

Options

Replies

• VinVenture
    Options
    where i should

Capital I please, capital I. You were just called out on it and attempting to correct yourself... So close...
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    *weeping*

Yes. As a Literature major it makes me crazy.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks away from completing my Ph.D. in linguistics and I think that prescriptive grammar is one of the most boring topics on Earth.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've become less and less concerned about it online. Some people haven't had the best education, aren't fluent in English, or simply don't care... And I'm OK with that ;)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    self proclaimed grammar nazi.

punctuation, capitalization - meh. i refuse to use capitalization simply for aesthetic/superficial reasons.

but i have turned down potential suitors and hook ups based on bad grammar and/or spelling. those of you who know even a little about me know how serious an offense must be for me to turn down sex... just to put everything in perspective lol.

edited because i have fat fingers and accidentally added a letter to the end of a word without realizing it. many thanks to the person who deigned to admonish me on my "egregious" error.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I cant be.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

When I have to shorten words to make my thought fit in a "tweet" I am secretly ashamed at myself for butchering the english language.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    especially when it comes to online dating--bad grammar, poor punctuation, or a general lack of respect for the english language (besides writing in lowercase, which is what i do when i'm informal) are MAJOR dealbreakers.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It only bothers me if the lack of grammar/spelling makes the post hard to read. As long as I can read the post and understand the point/question, then I'm good.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

punctuation, capitalization - meh. i refuse to use capitalization simply for aesthetic/superficial reasons.

but i have turned down potential suitors and hook ups based on bad grammar and/or spelling. those of you who know even a little about me know how serious an offense must be fore me to turn down sex... just to put everything in perspective lol.
    I love that you think you are better than people who don't follow the rules, but only the rules that you like.

Oh, and it's "for", not "fore", since you're so into spelling.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    especially when it comes to online dating--bad grammar, poor punctuation, or a general lack of respect for the english language (besides writing in lowercase, which is what i do when i'm informal) are MAJOR dealbreakers.

this. this is why i love you. yes. lower case "i".
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's a deal-breaker for me in online dating, too. If her profile looks like it was written by a junior-high kid sending a text message, she's off the list.

NEXT!!! :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

but i have turned down potential suitors and hook ups based on bad grammar and/or spelling. those of you who know even a little about me know how serious an offense must be fore me to turn down sex... just to put everything in perspective lol.
    I love that you think you are better than people who don't follow the rules, but only the rules that you like.

let's not turn this into attack mode. yeesh.
  • Navmachine
    Options
    I've become less and less concerned about it online. Some people haven't had the best education, aren't fluent in English, or simply don't care... And I'm OK with that ;)

I forgive my 2nd language friends a great deal when they talk to me. I only correct them when they say something in that questioning manner, as if to ask "am I saying this right?". One of my schoolmates from Brazil said "I have to learn better english. I am so tired of americans yelling when they talk to me; I'm Brazilian, not def!" :laugh:

(edited because everyone is going to jump on my *kitten* for not capitalizing my I's again. :P)
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i hate to admit it, but i think i'm definitely a grammar nazi! though, i value spelling more so over punctuative grammar, or knowing when to use where, and were...so i'm not as bad as others. But i cant help but think that my boss is an idiot if he cant spell correctly in a simple memo, or if someone is a self-proclaimed up and coming entertainment professional, and "spellz liek diz. N thinkz U R sum1 who should B takin seriuzly when U make fb posts liek diz." the great poets and literary masters would surely revel at your grasp of the written language... -_-

i typically dont say anything about it, hell, i'm definitely not perfect...but it does irk me, and make me weep for the future generations who will soon have no idea that the sentence "R U sum1 I no?" used to be spelled "are you someone i know?"

"I"? Or isn't a capital I part of your grammer and spelling when you're speaking of yourself. I was taught way back in 1st grade, when you speak of yourself, the I should be capitilized.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

let's not turn this into attack mode. yeesh.
    If you proclaim yourself a worshiper of spelling, you need to spell things correctly. How stuck-up does someone have to be to refuse to date someone because of bad spelling, when she herself writes like this?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Grammar and spelling Nazi!!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Oh, this is absolutely the case for me *LOL* If it's not idle online banter and something you are actually drafting for repeated reading, I will go Nazi :)
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    (Raising my hand and waving it wildy.)

Poor spelling, poor grammar and poor punctuation are HUGE pet peeves of mine. In fact, it boggles my mind when I see so many people screwing up there/their/they're, your/you're, etc. And on this site, I couldn't even guess how many people want to "loose" weight.

You're not alone. :)

This. HUGELY.