Am I tweaking the machine right?

Options
I'm too broke for an HRM, so I need the machines to give me an approximation of calories burned. But they are notoriously unreliable, usually not in our favor.

So, I weigh 142 pounds. If I put in 132 pounds for the weight, will the reading be closer to accurate?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm too broke for an HRM, so I need the machines to give me an approximation of calories burned. But they are notoriously unreliable, usually not in our favor.

So, I weigh 142 pounds. If I put in 132 pounds for the weight, will the reading be closer to accurate?
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the machines most don't recognize a weight over 350 so I have to imput 350 when I weigh more, but I know when I borrowed my friend's HRM and then I went to a calories burned website I had to put in 250 lbs which was 140 less than I weigh to get that number of calories burned. I'm sure the difference wouldn't be as great for you.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My treadmill was right on the money last night for calorie & heart rate! Any way you could borrow a HRM from the gym or a friend just to test yours? I've never heard of putting in a lower weight to make it more accurate? Why would that work?