Trying to get pregnant

Options
Is anyone out there dieting/exercising, yet trying to get pregnant at the same time? I've got som many questions!!! I know that being in better physical condition is good for you, but does the limited calorie intake affect your changes of conceiving???

Replies

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight before I try to get pregnant (possibly next year). I figure one major life changing event at a time... but life doesn't work that way most of the time.

I don't have much advice except that if you are trying, start taking prenatals and folic acid now...
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I would eat a "maintaining" level of calories. Then up it by 300 when you find out you are pregnant (not DOUBLE like so many people think.)

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/preconception/jf15.htm

According to this ^^^, lower calorie consumption can affect whether or not you ovulate.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I conceived while logging, but not yet exercising.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I would eat a "maintaining" level of calories. Then up it by 300 when you find out you are pregnant (not DOUBLE like so many people think.)

You actually don't need an extra 300 per day right from the beginning - it's an average of 300 extra per day throughout the pregnancy. You can actually add a smaller amount in the beginning, around 300-ish extra during the second trimester, and a bit more than that for the third. A straight 300 per day regardless of timing would be easier to keep up with, but tiny baby in the first tri doesn't need as much extra as weight-gaining baby in the third. :-) Just depends on which method is easier for someone to keep up with I think. :-)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options
    OP - as far as actually conceiving goes, how much do you know about your cycle? There is this 'average' that gets taught but not every woman is exactly 'average'. There are some great websites that can help you track your cycle and help you predict your ovulation so that you can make sure you have intercourse at the right times for the best chance at conception. Check out www.fertilityfriend.com or there is a really amazing book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility - those resources can teach you a ton about how to figure out your individual cycle and spot signs that point toward impending ovulation.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I am going to try soon. I just went off my birth control about a month ago. I am letting my body get back to normal. But I am going to continue to log and exercise. If/when I become pregnant, I will just make sure I no longer have my 250 calorie deficit and get a heart rate monitor to make sure my heart rate isn't too high. You can always talk to your doctor as well. Add me if you want :)
  • erinbart
    erinbart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to get pregnant and still wanting to lose around 15 pounds. I have talked to my trainer and my doctor. Right now I'm trying to stick to 1250 cal diet and will up that when I find out that I'm pregnant. I hope to continue to workout through out my pregnancy, I heard it makes labor easier. If you want to add me as a friend we can exchange advice as this go along. Good luck!
  • addiebaby
    Options
    My goal is to lose the weight and then start trying. I've heard that it's hard to conceive if you're overweight. And also I need to focus on one thing at a time so losing weight first and then baby.
  • cpar621
    Options
    Good for you! Being healthy and fit before pregnancy will help with back and joint pains, ease labor, and make it easier to drop the baby weight after you've delivered. I'm not sure how exercise and diet affects your ability to conceive (only severe deficits will affect your ovulation, so if you've been having normal cycles, your diet isn't too extreme) but I do know that if you exercise regularly before pregnancy, you will be able to do more during pregnancy because your heart rate won't spike like it might if you weren't regularly exercising. You can do pretty much any exercise that is comfortable for you during pregnancy as long as you keep your heart rate (and thus the baby's) under control. Start recording your active heart rate, then have your doctor compare it to your resting heart rate, then she'll be able to tell you what range you should stay in during the various stages of your pregnancy. A woman finished the Chicago marathon and gave birth the same day a few months ago....maybe you'll be the next one we hear about on the news!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

According to this ^^^, lower calorie consumption can affect whether or not you ovulate.

Thanks for that link!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OP - as far as actually conceiving goes, how much do you know about your cycle? There is this 'average' that gets taught but not every woman is exactly 'average'. There are some great websites that can help you track your cycle and help you predict your ovulation so that you can make sure you have intercourse at the right times for the best chance at conception. Check out www.fertilityfriend.com or there is a really amazing book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility - those resources can teach you a ton about how to figure out your individual cycle and spot signs that point toward impending ovulation.

I know more about my cycle than I ever wanted to- we have been in fertility treatments, done artifical insemination, and just found out that I am actually getting pregnant every month, but miscarrying before 5 weeks.... the Dr. knows I am working out and trying to lose weight and is supportive of my efforts (fortunately, I was only about 20lbs overweight to start with- nothing too drastic) but she hasn't been specific as far as calorie intake and such... I know I can't go to boot camp during the two weeks between ovulation and my period, which sucks, but not as bad as repeatedly miscarrying!

I guess I am just concerned about the low calorie intake-
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    diet unrelated - anyone trying to conceive needs to be getting extra folic acid... taking prenatal vitamins while trying to conceive isn't a bad idea. Good luck!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Is anyone out there dieting/exercising, yet trying to get pregnant at the same time? I've got som many questions!!! I know that being in better physical condition is good for you, but does the limited calorie intake affect your changes of conceiving???

I've heard point of entry is more important that calories when it comes to conceiving.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    accuracy helps.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    Options

I know more about my cycle than I ever wanted to- we have been in fertility treatments, done artifical insemination, and just found out that I am actually getting pregnant every month, but miscarrying before 5 weeks.... the Dr. knows I am working out and trying to lose weight and is supportive of my efforts (fortunately, I was only about 20lbs overweight to start with- nothing too drastic) but she hasn't been specific as far as calorie intake and such... I know I can't go to boot camp during the two weeks between ovulation and my period, which sucks, but not as bad as repeatedly miscarrying!

I guess I am just concerned about the low calorie intake-

Ah, gotcha. I'm sorry for your losses.

I'm no expert on early miscarriages, but if it were me I would probably do some research on body fat percentages related to fertility, and if your dr. hasn't already tested your hormone levels at various points do that to see if you have any specific problems (although I'm guessing they probably have since you've gone through fertility treatments - I don't know all of the testing and whatnot that goes on since I've never had FT's). Have they tried giving progestrone strategically after ovulation or anything like that? I'm not even sure if right after ovulation is the correct timing for that, just thinking out loud as I have several aquaintances who have had issues with preterm labor/miscarrying and have been given progesterone injections or suppositories to try and help. You probably know a lot more about this than me since you've actually gone through it, so I'm sorry if I'm not saying anything helpful or if I'm getting things wrong. I hope you and your dr. can figure something out and I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. :-(