Dang - this is tough!

Options
So today is around day 3 of me starting the MFP plan and I am totally bummed with today. it is only 2:00pm and I've almost already eaten all my calories for the day, I don't think I'm going to make it to the gym today (I hadn't really planned to anyway).

I have 1200 for the day and I had breakfast, a snack, a 1/2 sandwich for lunch (puhleeeze!) and another snack. All of those "meals" I was really hungry for them, not just eating to eat.

So, I am definitely going to go over today and I am bummed. I haven't even had anything fun today.

What does everyone do? How is it possible to stay in the calorie range on a non-workout day?

TIA!

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    what did you have for breakfast? Just gotta make smart choices if you're not going to work out, watch the bread, cheese (sandwich) go for lean meats, stuff to keep you full. Even if you didn't go to the "gym" doing 20 minutes of jumping jacks and pushups in your living room can earn you another snack!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Are you sure 1200 is the right target? That's considered the worst case bare minimum for small females.
    How much do you weight, how much are you trying to lose. What is your height, age, and activity level?
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    make good choices......look for healthier alternatives
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What is your weekly weight loss goal (0.5 to 2lbs)? and how much do you have to lose? You weekly goal may be too aggressive with the amount you have to lose. that being said you can go over and not gain weight, you will just lose slower than you intended.
    Here is a guide to healthy weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • goquiltersgo
    goquiltersgo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Drink a full glass of water before you put any food in your mouth. It really helps with the cravings you get...besides sometimes you are thirsty more than hungry.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies! It's very tough at first (I can relate, I just switched back down to 1,200 after being at 1,800 for race training). But, lots of veggies and lean proteins. Keep your portions small. Also, what helps me when I'm switching back to lower calories is gum. It keeps me from feeling completely starving lol look for things high in protein as well - hardboiled eggs make fabulous snacks!!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for breakfast, apple for mid-morning snack, yogurt and string cheese for lunch, big salad for dinner with plenty of calories left for other snacking if I want. You just have to learn how to 'spend' your calories wisely :wink:
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with making better choices. However, if you are really hungry, maybe you should eat more. Find out what your BMR is, and calculate 500 calories under that. Also, remember if you're under you're still losing weight, it just may take longer. Maybe try adjusting your goal for how much you lose a week. It is better to loose slower than to give up.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would not go that low, at least to start with. If you are starving then you aren't likely to stick with it. Give yourself some time to adjust gradually.

But what are you eating that you've used up almost 1200 calories already? You must have had a pretty large breakfast.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So today is around day 3 of me starting the MFP plan and I am totally bummed with today. it is only 2:00pm and I've almost already eaten all my calories for the day, I don't think I'm going to make it to the gym today (I hadn't really planned to anyway).

I have 1200 for the day and I had breakfast, a snack, a 1/2 sandwich for lunch (puhleeeze!) and another snack. All of those "meals" I was really hungry for them, not just eating to eat.

So, I am definitely going to go over today and I am bummed. I haven't even had anything fun today.

What does everyone do? How is it possible to stay in the calorie range on a non-workout day?

TIA!
    So during your breaks take a brisk walk around your office do some lunges and squats. When you get home get in some relaxed clothes and do 100 jumping jacks, 20 sit ups, 20 push ups and make sure you add it to your MFP..if you go over a 100 to 200 calories don't sweat there is always tomorrow. Drink LOTS of water also.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I think it takes some adjusting whenever starting a new routine. 1200 calories is the bare min. for women, so I am assuming this is quite an adjustment from your old habits. Try to make healthier choices - have a wrap instead of bread, use mustard not mayo, light cheese...it's amazing how quick a sandwhich can add up. Have lots of fruits and veggies, and TONNES of water. Whenever I want to snack I always have some water to see if it passes.

I eat 1200-1300 cals a day and have no problems doing so. I aim for 250 cals for breakfast, 150 for a snack, 250 for lunch, 100 for a snack, 350 for dinner, and 100 for a snack. Obviosusly this varies.

Once you get going you will start to stock your house with healthier options, just don't give up! I also don't eat back my exercise calories but may just use them as a buffer if I need too.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don't go over your calories (unless you really have to). Clean the house, and use the exercise calories. If the house is spotless (I wish!), scrub the floor or the skirting boards, clean the windows too!!!

And have something light in calories for dinner - an omelette will fill you up.

You can do this ...
  • PhotographyChick
    PhotographyChick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree, I'm 136lbs and my calorie goal isn't that low... I think you need a higher goal.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1800 and I do some exercise everyday cardio r strength r both. I could not make it on 1200 either I would be bummeeeddddd out as well...I get 300-500 per day extra for exercise as well. Re check your goals don't sound right...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your breakfast and snacks were but if those and 1/2 sandwich put you at 1200 calories they must have been pretty high calorie foods. Eat more vegetables and less high calorie foods would be my suggestion.

I often go over on non-workout days. It usually evens out since some days I am under when I exercise.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I agree with making better choices. However, if you are really hungry, maybe you should eat more. Find out what your BMR is, and calculate 500 calories under that. Also, remember if you're under you're still losing weight, it just may take longer. Maybe try adjusting your goal for how much you lose a week. It is better to loose slower than to give up.

Don't go that far under you BMR. BMR is not the same as maintenance you need to eat less than maintenance not BMR to lsoe weight. You will lose weight eating BMR calories, as BMR is what you burn if you were in a coma, the moment you wake up, eat, move, sit, you burn more than BMR..
  • erickirb
    Options
    Don't go over your calories (unless you really have to). Clean the house, and use the exercise calories. If the house is spotless (I wish!), scrub the floor or the skirting boards, clean the windows too!!!

And have something light in calories for dinner - an omelette will fill you up.

You can do this ...

There is nothing wrong with going over now and again, it just may take an extra day to lose the goal amount of weight for that week.
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    I just opened my food diary if anyone is willing to look. I am 141 and would like to get down to 130. I am a SAHM and chase a 2 year old around all day and keep my house.

I just started with a trainer this week so I took today off b/c I'm pretty sore. I may still decide to go later and jump on the treadmill just to get my muscles moving.

Thanks so much everyone, this site ROCKS!
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I completely agree - eat when you are hungry, but eat the right things... Maybe try: sandwich meat rolled up with a low fat string cheese stick (no bread, try heating it up for a more satisfying lunch), drink water 30 minutes before eating because sometimes we think we are hungry when we are thirsty, aim for getting thru the AM without a snack... just things I do when I am burning through my calories to quickly...
  • Schmoopy11
    Options
    Oh, and my breakfast shake seems high in calories but they are all "good" calories.

Scoop of Mercola Whey Powder
    Water
    1/3 banana
    1/2 C. frozen berries
    1TBSP Oil
    2C. Spinach
    tsp. cocoa powder
    2TBSP flax powder