Getting more fiber

Options
rem1979
rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
Has anyone had this issue before.............

Okay not to get to graphic but, since I started tracking my eating and excercise on this site 11 days ago, I found that I am only consuming on average 18 grams of fiber/day and I should be consuming 25 grams each day. I have also noticed that I am not having regular BM's. Had one today and last one on Sunday. I do not feel bloated or "backed up" though but before I would have one every day.

What kind of foods have people tried to get things "going" again? Would using a fiber supplement like Benefiber help?

Replies

• rem1979
    Options
    Has anyone had this issue before.............

Okay not to get to graphic but, since I started tracking my eating and excercise on this site 11 days ago, I found that I am only consuming on average 18 grams of fiber/day and I should be consuming 25 grams each day. I have also noticed that I am not having regular BM's. Had one today and last one on Sunday. I do not feel bloated or "backed up" though but before I would have one every day.

What kind of foods have people tried to get things "going" again? Would using a fiber supplement like Benefiber help?
  • tremmons
    Options
    I have been having a "problem" going quite often. Before I started making healthy coices, I was the opposite. I was into the Health store today in our small town and we were talking about this subject. She gave me 5 packages of "Hemp Hearts" and a brochure to read. Haven't got it all read but she said it is a natural "helper" and if taken regularily, you will be regular. If you have a Health store near you drop in and ask about it
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I read somewhere that if you increase the amount of fiber you should make sure that you drink enough water. I add Miller's bran to my cereal in the morning and it has helped.
    i found an article online that might be of interest.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/digestivesystem/constipation.html
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Oh wow.
    Yesterday I got 47g of fiber. :laugh:
    It's really not ideal to get THAT much, so don't think you should. It sort of happened accidentally. Anyway, I eat a TON of:

oat bran
    oats
    low-carb wraps/english muffins
    barley
    beans
    green beans/romaine

You really don't need much. 1 cup of cooked oat bran or 1/2 c fat free refried beans each have 7 g of fiber.

Oh yea, and drinking a lot of water is really important. This will form a bulk, which will keep your movements solid and regular, but if it's dried up...well then it's not going anywhere. :sick:
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had that proble.m and was not going regular any more and it caused me great pain when i needed to go. i was to the point i was backed up and had to go thru a CT scan to see what was wrong and i had diverticulitis
  • rem1979
    Options
    I drink at least 8 cups times 8 a day so I am getting alot of water. I think I just need to bump up the fiber intake a bit.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Same here, I drink plenty of water so I know it's not that......
    I've had this issue before when switching diets...it'll even itself out...hehe
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Switch everything from white flour to wheat flour: pasta, bread, etc.