High Intensity Training and an exercise bike

mrandolph69
mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
edited October 5 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been riding my recumbent exercise bike religiously since August. I started on 8-22 riding for 15 minutes and I managed to go 3.3 miles for an average of 13.2 mph. I am currently up to riding for 60 minutes (3x / week) for about 19.5 miles (i.e., 19.5 mph.)

About a week ago I started doing a 1 minute sprint every 10 minutes in an effort to get some high intensity into the routine. I would like to try incorporating a more formal HIT routine into my ride at least 1 day out of the 3 days a week that I ride. In other words, I am thinking about doing a HIT routine 1 day a week rather than a sustained 60 minute ride. My primary goal is to change up my routine a bit and in so doing, push myself a bit more (I also would love to get in at least one shorter ride a week.)

Can anyone suggest what type of HIT routine I might use on my bike? I am seeking thoughts on what my goals should be in terms of how intense each set should be (I have a HRM), how long each set should be, how long I should rest between sets and the number of sets I should be aiming for.

Thanks.

Replies

• Hit the tense to the hardest you can for 30 seconds, then east the tense for 60 seconds repeat until for 8 counts of the hardest tense you can.. I actually started at 30/60 for 4 count then repeat until you hit 8...then do a 30:30 or 1:1 ratio...it will blast fat
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    After warming up try doing 30 second sprints followed by 60 second recovery at 60% of the intensity or speed, repeat for 15-20 minutes. If that is too easy sprint faster at a higher intensity or do 60 second sprint followed by 60 second recovery 1:1.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    I do this one:
    http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/cardio

The "levels" are your perceived exertion - from an easy stroll at level 1 to "I'm gonna puke" at 10.

Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.