Protein: How much us too much?

Options
This is a very controversial topic amongst nutritonalists. For the average individual protein consumption should be only 22% of your daily calorie intake, but many sports nutrtionalist suggest 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, but some suggest the RDA amount of 22%. It takes longer for the body to breakdown protein then carbs and that is the reason why nutrtionalist and the food guide pyramid suggest carbs as the biggest food group from which an individual should derive there calorie intake from. What many people fail to see is that a balance between carbs and protein is best. Calorie intake is what the individual should be mostly worry about. Personal fitness goals must be calculated into the equation as well. If an individual wants to lose weight then the main focus should be calories intake. The reason why so many high protein low carb diets see good results in weight lose is because high protein diets make you lose water weight in general. That is why the individual easily gains back the water weight once the individual gets off the diet. High protein diets are great if you want to look good in that bathing suit at the beach or that concert where you know girls will be starring but if you want your goals to stay with you in the long-run I suggest you consume 55% of your calorie intake
from carbs, 30% from protein, and the rest from healthy fats, like flax seed oil (omegas; also found in fish). If you're planning on going to the beach plan your diet 2 weeks ahead and slowly start to decrease your percentage of carbs and increase your protein consumption. This will make you lose the water wright you have and also push water into your muscles which will make you look much leaner. Keeping High protein diets low carb diets for too long will cause your body to work harder to break down the food your consuming and convert it into energy. That's why people seem to have a decrease in energy when on low carb diets. An awesome diet to follow is the Abs Diet then when you want to whip out the bathing suit switch to the Atkins diet. Try that and see how you feel and look.

Everyones body is different and results vary but the majority of fitness models and do this. I should know my cousin is a fashion model and my brother is a fitness model. Me I'm just a health freak and love the fact that I know your body is a science experiment and have tried almost every single experiment there is (of course I mean when dealing with food and exercise).

Hopefully I answered your question and if you have any more questions or comment please feel free to reply. Well I wish you great luck in not only your fitness goals but life goals. Just remember before receiving any information or advise dealing from physical health to mental health, always have an open mind and objective mind. Know both sides to any argument and remember that knowing is not enough, but we must apply (I got that from Bruce Lee; know he's a fitness guri/philosophy person that everyone should read know about).

Replies

• ChimyWang
    Options
    This is a very controversial topic amongst nutritonalists. For the average individual protein consumption should be only 22% of your daily calorie intake, but many sports nutrtionalist suggest 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, but some suggest the RDA amount of 22%. It takes longer for the body to breakdown protein then carbs and that is the reason why nutrtionalist and the food guide pyramid suggest carbs as the biggest food group from which an individual should derive there calorie intake from. What many people fail to see is that a balance between carbs and protein is best. Calorie intake is what the individual should be mostly worry about. Personal fitness goals must be calculated into the equation as well. If an individual wants to lose weight then the main focus should be calories intake. The reason why so many high protein low carb diets see good results in weight lose is because high protein diets make you lose water weight in general. That is why the individual easily gains back the water weight once the individual gets off the diet. High protein diets are great if you want to look good in that bathing suit at the beach or that concert where you know girls will be starring but if you want your goals to stay with you in the long-run I suggest you consume 55% of your calorie intake
    from carbs, 30% from protein, and the rest from healthy fats, like flax seed oil (omegas; also found in fish). If you're planning on going to the beach plan your diet 2 weeks ahead and slowly start to decrease your percentage of carbs and increase your protein consumption. This will make you lose the water wright you have and also push water into your muscles which will make you look much leaner. Keeping High protein diets low carb diets for too long will cause your body to work harder to break down the food your consuming and convert it into energy. That's why people seem to have a decrease in energy when on low carb diets. An awesome diet to follow is the Abs Diet then when you want to whip out the bathing suit switch to the Atkins diet. Try that and see how you feel and look.

Everyones body is different and results vary but the majority of fitness models and do this. I should know my cousin is a fashion model and my brother is a fitness model. Me I'm just a health freak and love the fact that I know your body is a science experiment and have tried almost every single experiment there is (of course I mean when dealing with food and exercise).

Hopefully I answered your question and if you have any more questions or comment please feel free to reply. Well I wish you great luck in not only your fitness goals but life goals. Just remember before receiving any information or advise dealing from physical health to mental health, always have an open mind and objective mind. Know both sides to any argument and remember that knowing is not enough, but we must apply (I got that from Bruce Lee; know he's a fitness guri/philosophy person that everyone should read know about).
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you are saying about 55% and 30%.

1,118 154 20 83
    Your Daily Goal: 1,690 232 56 63
    Remaining: 572 78 36 -20

Here are my numbers from today so can you explain what you mean please.

If my daily goal is 1,690 calories and you're saying that 55% of my calories should come from carbs then I should have 929 grams of carbs? I don't think that's right, I know I'm not getting it.

Thanks,

Barb
  • deanea
    Options
    55% of diet is carb grams which are not the same as carb calories....does that help at all? Or am I missing your question?
  • NurseBarb
    Options
    Well, I get that grams are different from calories. My problem is understanding how to convert that or to understand the advice above about the 55%. If all we can look at is grams then how do I know how many grams I'm supposed to have.

Do you understand my non-understanding? hahahaha
  • deanea
    Options
    Well, I thought I knew what I was talking about but now I too am confused......:laugh: ::laugh:
    We'll just have to wait and see what the others say.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well, I get that grams are different from calories. My problem is understanding how to convert that or to understand the advice above about the 55%. If all we can look at is grams then how do I know how many grams I'm supposed to have.

In one gram of carbs, there are 4 calories.

55% of your calories = 929 calories.

Divide the 929 calories by 4 to get the grams.

929/4= 232 grams.

If that still seems high to you, you can eat anywhere from 30-50% of your daily calories from carbohydrates. There is no fixed number, just a range at which you feel comfortable. Just make sure that your total ratios add up to 100% (so if carbs drop, protein and fat need to increase), and that fat doesn't fall below 20% (sorry to disagree Chimy, but for the normal population, and even for competitors in the off-season, 20% is the lowest it can go.) Fat is used for absorption of many vitamins as well as blood glucose regulation. The rest comes from protein. If you are feeling hungry, try increasing your protein and decreasing carbohydrates, as protein (and fat) promote feelings of fullness.
  • deanea
    Options

In one gram of carbs, there are 4 calories.

55% of your calories = 929 calories.

Divide the 929 calories by 4 to get the grams.

929/4= 232 grams.

If that still seems high to you, you can eat anywhere from 30-50% of your daily calories from carbohydrates. There is no fixed number, just a range at which you feel comfortable. Just make sure that your total ratios add up to 100% (so if carbs drop, protein and fat need to increase), and that fat doesn't fall below 20% (sorry to disagree Chimy, but for the normal population, and even for competitors in the off-season, 20% is the lowest it can go.) Fat is used for absorption of many vitamins as well as blood glucose regulation. The rest comes from protein. If you are feeling hungry, try increasing your protein and decreasing carbohydrates, as protein (and fat) promote feelings of fullness.

Thanks, the more I thought about it the more confused I got. Makes sense now.:flowerforyou:
  • sharondaley
    Options
    THANK YOU

Ive been trying to ask the same question but I dont think I was getting it across as well as you did.

Makes sense now. :smile:
  • NurseBarb
    Options
    Whew, thanks! Hey how about fat and protein what are the translations for those?

I seem to have trouble getting all my carbs in. I'm not on atkins or even attempting to be. I love carbs and understand they are important. I just seem to enjoy and eat more protein foods than I do carbs.
    I did manage to make some low-fat chicken and dumplings last night with fat free broth and chicken breast and some biscuits. That helped my carb intake for yesterday and then I got up this morning and was down a pound! Wooo Hooo

:happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Whew, thanks! Hey how about fat and protein what are the translations for those?

I seem to have trouble getting all my carbs in. I'm not on atkins or even attempting to be. I love carbs and understand they are important. I just seem to enjoy and eat more protein foods than I do carbs.
    I did manage to make some low-fat chicken and dumplings last night with fat free broth and chicken breast and some biscuits. That helped my carb intake for yesterday and then I got up this morning and was down a pound! Wooo Hooo

:happy:

Here are the 'conversions' for the macronutrients:

Fat 1 Gram = 9 Calories
    Protein 1 Gram = 4 Calories
    Carbohydrate 1 Gram = 4 Calories

So if you have 10 grams of fat in a food item, there are 90 calories from fat in it.
    If you have 10 grams of protein or carbohydrate in a food item, there are 40 calories from protein or carb in it.

You don't need to eat a lot of carbohydrate. If you are not diabetic and you eat healthy fats and lean meats, Atkins is perfectly healthy. Many people use it as an excuse to live off cheese and lunch meat:laugh: , but that is not what it's mean to be. If you don't want to eat that much carbohydrate, that's fine, just make sure that you are eating enough protein and fat to make up the difference. If you would like to prevent yourself from entering ketosis (which is safe for non-diabetics, but takes some adjustment and can cause fatigue) just make sure you are eating at least 60g per day.
  • NurseBarb
    Options
    Thanks so much I really appreciate the advice! I hope I can come to you with other questions!w

Casta
    :flowerforyou: