Cabbage?

The only way I know how to make cabbage is fried, not so good for you drenched in butter, so um any other options on how to cook it?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Braised- you can do this in almost any cooking liquid.

I like it shredded in stir fries. Yum! Just a little oil and add cabbage, mushroom, some chicken, and any other veg you want/like.
  • This might sound weird, but I love just making my own broth with a lil chicken broth, water, lots and lots of spices and putting cabbage in it for a quick soup. Once its cooked I usually chop a cooked chicken breast in it for a protein kick
  • Stuffed cabbage... yum!! :D
  • I like it steamed, then just the barest tad of Smart Balance butter added, and salt and pepper. Yummmmmm. I also like it raw. :)
  • We love cabbage chopped and boiled with chicken bullion and a little sprinkle of Tony Chachere's. About 1-1/2 cups water and 4 chicken bullion cubes.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Lots of soups around for red cabbage
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Stir fry, soup, cabbage rolls...all diff ways really...u can do it without adding too much fat
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    If you like a little spice, I steam mine with a can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis.
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Stuffed cabbage... yum!! :D

I really want some stuffed cabbage now!!!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Boiled, steamed, stir fried with over veg but no need to use oil... Microwave for a minute or two without anything
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Colcannon! Boil cabbage and potatoes together [I skip the butter].
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    It's great in soups!

I made this the other night and it was quite tasty:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cabbage-soup-with-chicken-and-pork-5.html
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    I steam it , or eat ir RAW!! (YUCK) I never fried it
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    i have cut a head of cabbage in half and spread i cant believe it's not butter on it and seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc and bake it wrapped in aluminum foil. can do this on the grill too. :-)
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Cabbage rolls are my favorite way to eat it! You can find some great recipes on line. I also like it in soup. I make a cabbage soup with zuccini, carrots, onion, green beans and stewed tomatoes...it's totally delicious!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    oh wow, thanks! all these sound good... I'm trying to plan out my grocery list and I need to buy lots of green foods lol.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Boiled in enough water to cover it and a hunk of green pepper and onion on top to give it some flavor. When done, pour some vinegar over it.

Steamed in a veggie steamer with garlic and onion powder and pepper.

In soups!!!!

Cole slaw......grate cabbage and carrots and mix with some non-fat mayo or sour cream, and maybe some raisins.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Whats a good recipe for stuffed cabbage?
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Our family likes shredded cabbage on tacos, tostadas, etc. --- anywhere you'd use shredded lettuce.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 385 Member
    Boil it in a little water with Mrs. Dash with onion and bell pepper and you're done!!!!! Takes the place of fried cabbage. I actually cook all my meats like that if I am cooking them in a pan as well. Either a bit of of water or Pam if I don't grill it on my panini.