Have you ever read a book that CHANGED your life(style)?

Options
Hi my fellow MFP'ers!! I just got a Kindle Fire and have been really excited about reading lately. I have been looking for some good health/fitness/nutrition books and books about motivation. However, a lot of what I have read is not really that motivational or life changing. Have you ever read a book that just lifts you up or makes you feel good or ready to fight the fight? It doesn't even have to be a health book...just a book that changed you? Please share!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Derv
    Derv Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes! Tom Venuto The Body Fat Solution
  • DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I read The Game by Neil Strauss.

A controversial one but, yeah, changed my life. I met my Fiance while running game on her, if I hadn't read that book and gained the confidence to speak to the pretty ladies I always wanted to speak to but never did, maybe we'd never have met...

Incidentally, I met Neil Strauss early this year and inadvertently he changed my life again. The picture I got taken with him at his book signing was (and is) my 'oh crap I'm fat' picture. You know, the one you look at to remind you why you're getting in shape...

Jay
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it changed my life, but Born to Run was very inspiring. It was a very fun read.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The Bible
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    "Are you there vodka, its me, chelsea"

chelsea handler
  • carolyntas
    Options
    The Gracie Diet book!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

It's not about weight loss but it has every other life lesson in it. It's one of the best selling memoirs of all time.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Celestine Prophecies, and A Brave New World
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have to say, this all started when I read "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. Some of the info is a little dated at this point, but it set me on the right path. I still recommend it to total newbies to fitness/weight loss.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" (by Robert Pirsig) also had quite an effect on me.

As did "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (Douglas Adams)

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" (Dale Carnegie) is also very good, despite it's very self-helpy title that may put you off.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Coming back stronger.....about Drew Brees....Amazing person
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    The Holy Bible
    The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
    The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
    Are you there God it's me Margaret? - :laugh:
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Playboy!! :bigsmile:

For the articles of course!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Carle ROCKS!!!!!
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Diet for a New America by John Robbins.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm enjoying "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" it's been on my "must buy" list for a while and I found it at a used bookstore the day I cancelled my gym membership.
    I read a lot of self-sufficiency books or "how to's" it's really helped with the understanding of how things work / go together which has been a big boost in coming up with alternatives (instead of buying yet another magic bullet / ninja for food prep I checked yardsales for an old style blender that the base screws off and will attach straight to a mason jar.... $2 later I've got as many custom drink cups as I could ever need thanks to my mason jar collection)
  • whiskers101
    Options
    The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, love them both:happy:
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Not read that one but I read '5 people you meet in heaven' which I think is by the same author... Good read.
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    HOW TO EAT TO LIVE .BY eLIJAH MUHAMMAD ..I read this book as a child and find myself referencing it today,it's plain comon sence with backup of why we shold eat wholesome foods