Multi-vitamin?

Options
Roni_M
Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
I'm only about 4 weeks in and notice that I'm only getting about 25% of my iron and 50% of my calcium daily. I have psoriatic arthritis and a bleeding disorder (ITP) and have had iron deficient anemia in the past. I'm not having any issues at the moment but would like to start taking a multi-vitamin to prevent developing a problem. I will check with my doctor on Tuesday when I go but am looking for suggestions on brands that are higher in the vitamins I'm missing (iron and calcium). I'm also wondering if I should add an omega 3 supplement. I tried looking online but apparently there are 50 billion companies selling vitamins that cure arthritis!! LOL

Anyone out there have any knowledge about multi-vitamins? I'm in Canada and would prefer to get something I can pick up locally at the drug store or health food store.

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I think most vitamins have 100% of the daily iron requirements, but calcium you need to watch out for! I am taking one that is a mere 16%.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I take a Women's One A Day multivitamin. It says that it has 100% of your daily value of iron and 50% in calcium. I too have low iron this is why I started taking a mulitvitamin. But check with your doctor to make sure first.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    That's what I've been finding... And I don't know how crazy I am about adding several pills to my regimen just to get the basics covered!
  • nikkijay25
    nikkijay25 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I take a women's one a day multivitiam.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    Your body only absorbs around 50% of artificial vitamin supplements, so you should dose twice a day if you go that route.

Almond milk has a higher calcium content than milk, so do dark leafy greens like kale. Spinach is iron rich, as is sea weed. Try consuming as much of your nutrients from food as possible for best absorption. Also, if you drink soda it will leach the iron out of your body, so avoid it. Omega 3's are amazing for your body and skin, once again I would eat them. Flax, walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, chia seeds, salmon. Don't forget you need Vit D to absorb the calcium, so get lots of sunlight.
    Buying a juicer helps - you can "hide" fresh spinach, kale, beets, carrots, etc by blending them with fruit.
  • nbaxter1104
    Options
    I am taking a prenatal (but no i am not trying to get pregnant) it just has more of everything that i usually miss out on.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I take women's one a day because I've always been low on iron too! For calcium I take Viactiv Chews.
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You should be good with a multi vit. Try womens one a day or centrum (not sure the spelling) thats what I take.. it will certainly help you out

:-)
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Thank you! The one-a-day brand is probably available at the local drug store. I'll mention that one to the doctor when I go. (I don't take anything without clearing it first just to be sure!)
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Thank you! I am a spinach fan and have been looking for almond milk but haven't been able to locate it at my local grocery store. I don't have a very big appetite so am still trying to adjust to 3 meals a day. I'm working on getting a bit more variety into my diet. (i used to drink a lot of calories and only eat a big dinner once a day). The omega 3 is tough for me because I'm not a fan of most foods that are rich in them. I'm hoping to find something delicious with omega 3!! LOL
    Your body only absorbs around 50% of artificial vitamin supplements, so you should dose twice a day if you go that route.

Almond milk has a higher calcium content than milk, so do dark leafy greens like kale. Spinach is iron rich, as is sea weed. Try consuming as much of your nutrients from food as possible for best absorption. Also, if you drink soda it will leach the iron out of your body, so avoid it. Omega 3's are amazing for your body and skin, once again I would eat them. Flax, walnuts, extra virgin olive oil, chia seeds, salmon. Don't forget you need Vit D to absorb the calcium, so get lots of sunlight.
    Buying a juicer helps - you can "hide" fresh spinach, kale, beets, carrots, etc by blending them with fruit.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options

Just curious, but how does soda (and what kinds of soda?) leech iron from our bodies? What component in soda is doing that?
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options

Just curious, but how does soda (and what kinds of soda?) leech iron from our bodies? What component in soda is doing that?
    Couple of reasons:

To begin with, Phosphoric acid and ph balance. The ph balance in soda oxidizes whatever it comes in contact with. Plus, when your body is too acidic its easier for disease to set in (cancer has been linked to improper ph levels in the body, so has arthritis, liver disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, and hypothyroidism).
    Supplements use iron in a salt form, versus a protein form. It is broken down and absorbed through the duodenum by enterocytes.Our bodies rate of absorption depends on iron stores, the rate bone marrow is producing red blood cells, and the oxygen level in the blood stream - soda (whether diet or regular) depletes oxygen from the blood stream. Vit C helps aid iron absorption.

Tea also inhibits iron absorption.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    It's the tannins in the tea that inhibit absorption. BUT they inhibit plant based iron, not meat based iron.
  • Roni_M
    Options
    Well luckily I'm not a tea or soda drinker! but I was big on soda when I was iron deficient...maybe that's the reason. I used to drink a ton of milk...good because it kept the calcium up but bad because of the fat and calories! I've completely switched to flavored water and occasionally a G2 (40 calories in a bottle). I am a coffee lover though...2 cups every morning =)
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I have coffee every morning as well :) I really like it blended with cocoa powder, coconut milk, cinnamon, a scoop of protein powder, and ice.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    It's the tannins in the tea that inhibit absorption. BUT they inhibit plant based iron, not meat based iron.

Thank you for that post, it was very informative. :)

It makes me wonder then if my green tea extract pill is prohibiting my body absorbing iron from my multi-vitamin, then? I can't stand the taste of tea, so I don't drink it.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    You're welcome :)

It very well could be. Tannins in general are good for you (they are the antioxidant polyphenol properties in tea), but if you have problems with anemia then it is best to steer clear of tea and soda.
    The anti-oxidants in tea are also found in cocoa, in higher doses. You can also take elderberry extract (is very bitter, I recommend mixing it into something like pineapple orange juice).
  • Roni_M
    Options
    That must be why "they" say a small square of very dark chocolate a day is good for you. I'm actually not a chocolate fan either. I didn't realize I was so fussy until I started trying to eat healthy! Luckily I love most veggies so adding those has been easy. Fruit has mostly been bananas, cantaloupe and strawberries. Occasionally an apple or pear.

Carbs are something I'm having a harder time with...at least by the ratio they give. When you eat 2 cups of broccoli with a teaspoon of becel...your calorie intake from fat is really high and carbs are really low. I've given up trying to keep my ratio as recommended and now just make sure my fat is under the daily recommended amount. It would take buckets of veggies to get your carbs up. I don't eat much bread or pasta (such a waste of calories to me!!) LOL
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I am also from Canada. For Omega's we take Barlean's Omega Swirl (made from fish oil). It's a liquid that you take on a spoon. Don't worry it acutally has zero fish taste and tastes like Lemon Pie. Yum! My wife (who doesn't really like fish) and kids take it with no problem.

I also add whole hemp seeds (from Costco) or whole flax seeds to my daily smoothie. Smoothies are a great way to get more Spinach and Kale in your diet. My daily smoothie has actually replaced my daily morning coffee. I now only have one cup in the afternoon.

If you don't see Kale in the produce department, then ask someone as they always have it in the back for the garnish around the deli and seafood departments. I was told that they don't always put it out in the open as is wilts quickly.

The tastiest Kale Smoothie (I found and adapted it from www.mamainthekitchen.com)
    - 1 cup no sugar added pineapple juice or passionfuit juice
    - 6-10 ice cubes
    - 1 whole orange
    - 4 stalks of kale including stems

Remember that in Canada in the winter, even on a sunny day, your body cannot make enough Vitamin D. Take a supplement, although it is in Milk, and the Omega Swirl.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Thank you! I am a spinach fan and have been looking for almond milk but haven't been able to locate it at my local grocery store. I don't have a very big appetite so am still trying to adjust to 3 meals a day. I'm working on getting a bit more variety into my diet. (i used to drink a lot of calories and only eat a big dinner once a day). The omega 3 is tough for me because I'm not a fan of most foods that are rich in them. I'm hoping to find something delicious with omega 3!! LOL

When you eat your spinach make sure you are getting vitamin c at the same time, it helps you absorb the iron in the spinach. Iron is also one that I struggle getting enough of. Lentils are also a good source of iron apparently.