Too much water??

FunkyGranolaTree
FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 363 Member
edited October 5 in Food and Nutrition
I know that you can get a headache from being dehydrated.... but can you get one from too much water?

Replies

• I'm very curious about this too.
  • nicolealison
    nicolealison Posts: 27 Member
    You can drink too much water. Recommended is usually half your body weight in ounces. So ... if you weigh 200 lbs, you'd need to drink between 64 and 100 ounces of water. A gallon is the minimum recommended amount.
  • dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    This is what I learned in the Army.

You can drink too much water. When you do, it will flush the salts out of your body. That would be a BAD THING. However, getting to that point is VERY difficult. If you tank up on water for days and don't eat anything, I'm sure you could do it. But, if you're eating food and just drinking as much water as you can handle (at least your recommended amount), you'll be fine. It's not even something you should worry about.
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    I have heard of overhyrdration, where you are flushing too many salts and electrolytes out of your body. are you eating enough as well?

kind of unrelated, but college students who partake in hazing, such as drinking gallons and gallons on end, have died because of overhydrated, the body simply cannot handle that much fluids.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    You can drink too much water. Recommended is usually half your body weight in ounces. So ... if you weigh 200 lbs, you'd need to drink between 64 and 100 ounces of water. A gallon is the minimum recommended amount.

Where did you find this info? I have 105ozs. (i was actually really thirsty today) I have seen the recommendation of half your weight in ounces, and I would need to drink another 18 ounces for that..
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    This is what I learned in the Army.

These are the things that I have heard also... I thought it was like 4 gallons before you got into trouble. My calorie goal is 1320 and yesterday and today I have been right on target. I am wondering if it is just that I really jumped up the amount today. Yesterday I only drank 71 ounces.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    I have "read" about too much water and the consensus has been that the amount of water that it would take to be a danger to our bodies is almost physically impossible to consume.....not sure about headaches though.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member

But it doesn't say how much is "too much." Like I said before, I've always read that it's very difficult to get this as an "average" person.

I consistently drink 2.83 Liters of water (96 oz ie 12 cups) of water a day and have no issue. I currently weigh 137lbs
  • Ernestern
    Ernestern Posts: 34 Member
    I have "read" about too much water and the consensus has been that the amount of water that it would take to be a danger to our bodies is almost physically impossible to consume.....not sure about headaches though.

It's not physically impossible. You really got to try and drink that much water, but it can be done.... see related articles regarding death by water intoxication:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12053855
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1770067/
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    I drank 25 cups of water one night (Beer pong without the beer)

I woke up with a hardcore hangover!

X_X
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    This is what the Registered Nutritionist told me when I called you can drink how much ever you want when u start throwing up water and becoming dizzy and sick and have to be hospitalized then u have gone too far...I drink 6 liters a day and have been for the past 2 months..the first 2 months on my diet I drank 128 oz when I started I was 268 I am now 215.8 I just like drinking water so I drink 1 litre with every meal 6 times a day...I'm not dead nor have I flushed out all my salt and electrolytes I am also monitored by my doctors while on Medifast because I also take in way few calories 800-1000...so I don't think you drink more than I do most of.my friends can barely get in 64 oz;) But consult a registered nutritionist or dietician
  • amuchison
    The only way to drink too much would be chugging gallons back to back...I have chugged 2 liters back to back to hurry n finish my intake before bed and got light heeded n felt like I was preggo with a water baby...definetly don't recommend doing that your body will let u know when u have had enough...listen to it;)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    A gallon is the minimum recommended amount.

I never drink neat water..ever...i must be dead then.

And yet, I've never felt stronger, fitter, healthier. Why? Because i get my water from other sources! A gallon is not the recommended amount of pure water you need to drink. It's the amount of water you need to consume, from ANY source. Tea/Coffee/Juice/soda/milk/fruit/veg etc.
  • amuchison
    My fitness calculator...will calculate exactly what u need to drink according to your weight;) there Is an app too
This discussion has been closed.