Not losing weight anymore

I've been the same weight for three months. I've been eating at or slightly above my BMR (1310 calories) and I workout 5-6 days a week burning 400 calories each time through carido and strength training. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I don't think I'm in starvation mode since I'm eating above my BMR.

I'm 120lbs and 5'4, and I know this is a healthy weight for me but I have a VERY small frame and would like to be about 110. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the weight just isn't coming off anymore. I was 108lbs in the summer, but I wasn't eating enough and gained that all back when I started restricting my calories less. Now I'm trying to lose weight the healthy way, but the weight just refuses to come off. Do I have to eat below my BMR to get to where I want to be? Help!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Eat back your exercise calories! Or at least 80% of them.
  • Maybe clean out your colon? Or see if your doctor can help shave off that extra 10lbs
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    I AM SO GLAD I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE WHO HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME MY WEIGHT HAS NOT SHIFTED FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS IT DOES NOT WANT TO KNOW I HAVE TRIED LOADS OF DIFFERANT DIETS AND IT WONT BUGDE I EAT HEALTHY AND EXERCICE MOSTLY WALKING NOW AS WINTER BUT DID 6 TO 8 MILE BIKE RIDES SWIMMING 25 LENGHTS EVEN DID GYM CANT AFFORD IT ANY MORE .I HAVE GONE DOWN IN SIZE FROM A 20 TO A SIZE 14/16 BUT ITS NOT SHOWING ON THE SCALES AND GETTING ME DOWN AS I NEED TO LOOSE ANOTHER 15 POUNDS .SOMTIMES I DONT KNOW IF MY BODY WANTS TO STAY AT THIS WEIGHT AND I SAY OK I WILL GO WITH IT IEAT LOTS OF FRUIT AND VEG LENTILS PASTA PROTEIN AND TRY TO CUT MY CARBS A BIT .SORRY I CANT HELP YOU MUCH OH AND I DONT EAT BACK MY CALORIES I BURN I THINK I EAT ENOUGH WITHOUT ADDING MORE YOU CAN ADD ME AS A FRIEND IF YOU BE WISH ME MAY BE ABLE TO HELP EACH OTHER ALONG THE WAY :smile:
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    You know what, I'd been stalled for months.. I just figured my body was at the weight it wanted to be at and I'd just have to settle. Refused to move myself into maintenance. Stopped getting on the scale, the other day I had a chance to do a body measurement thing at the mall so I figured why not.. I'd lost 1.5lbs and hadn't realized it. Just keep doing all the right things and your body will drop the pounds... We want to see the number on the scale but what's truly important is the measurements.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I've been the same weight for three months. I've been eating at or slightly above my BMR (1310 calories) and I workout 5-6 days a week burning 400 calories each time through carido and strength training. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I don't think I'm in starvation mode since I'm eating above my BMR.

I'm 120lbs and 5'4, and I know this is a healthy weight for me but I have a VERY small frame and would like to be about 110. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the weight just isn't coming off anymore. I was 108lbs in the summer, but I wasn't eating enough and gained that all back when I started restricting my calories less. Now I'm trying to lose weight the healthy way, but the weight just refuses to come off. Do I have to eat below my BMR to get to where I want to be? Help!

OK, so if you are eating 1310-ish calories, but burning off 400, then you are netting around 900 calories for the day. That doesn't sound like alot of calories to me. If I were you, I'd eat my exercise calories back, or at least enough to net 1200-ish for the day, but eat them cleanly- fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. Try that for a month and then see where you are. I stalled out on my weight loss for a month awhile back. I upped my calories by two hundred a day, and then the weight started flying off again. Good luck!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Ok,

Eat more - focus on your NET being 1310. What you're doing now isn't working, what have you got to lose from upping your calories and actually fueling your body?
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 749 Member
    Yeah eat more but I bet you're underestimating or overestimating calories somewhere...
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    OK, so if you are eating 1310-ish calories, but burning off 400, then you are netting around 900 calories for the day. That doesn't sound like alot of calories to me. If I were you, I'd eat my exercise calories back, or at least enough to net 1200-ish for the day, but eat them cleanly- fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. Try that for a month and then see where you are. I stalled out on my weight loss for a month awhile back. I upped my calories by two hundred a day, and then the weight started flying off again. Good luck!

I couldn't agree more! I also stalled for most of October and then upped my calories to make sure I was NETTING at least 1200 calories a day. The weight loss once again resumed.

Eat more to lose more.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    As soon as I see an "I'm not losing" post I know the bulk of the answers will be "eat more" and sure'nuff there they are.

Just try shaking it up a bit -- eat DIFFERENT foods -- have something you've been craving but don't dare eat normally. My husband & I both find that we don't need to eat more on a regular basis, but a few days (or even 1 day) of shaking it up & changing the routine will often kick off the next level of losing.

Neither one of us gained weight over Thanksgiving (it lasted several days with alot of company and alot of picking on foods we have basically try to avoid in our day to day eating), BUT after having eaten it and disturbed out normal routine, we have both seen new lows this morning.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    So to expand on why I suggested eat more calories, below are two good threads on eating more and losing more. basically, it's your BMR x your exercise minus 250 calories (you are within a few pounds of your goal). So if you workout 5 days a week

1310*1.55-250 = 1780

With this method, you don't eat back exercise calories but rather eat these calories every day even on days you don't workout. This is the Katch McArdle formula and it works great. I will say, it takes time to figue out your true caloric needs. If you don't lose weight, you increase calories by 200 (this is after monitoring the 1780 calories for a month). If you consistantly gain, you decrease by 200. What I mean by consistant, is every week for all 4 weeks. You can expect weight gain initially as your body needs time to adjust.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Eat back your exercise calories! Or at least 80% of them.

This... I was stuck when I was not eating back exercise calories and burning a bunck