How much protein is to much

Options
I am within my daily calorie limit each day but some days I am over my protein limit. Will that slow my weight loss much. Without the protein I get real hungry so this way I am able to keep full feeling much longer. I am over already and I haven't had dinner yet.

Replies

• skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't know the right answer to this but I often go over my protein and I still lose. I think it just depends on your source of protein. Obviously lots of high calorie/high fat proteins aren't going to be as good for you as lean meats, nuts, legumes, etc. You can actually change your settings too and increase the amount of protein you have as your "goal." Just pick the custom option in the edit section instead of the recommended guided one.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    MFP's protein setting is way low. Aim for 1g of protein per pound you weigh and you'll be good.
    I know most people on here try to hit about 120 a day or so give or take so I'm sure you are fine
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein setting is way low. Aim for 1g of protein per pound you weigh and you'll be good.
    I know most people on here try to hit about 120 a day or so give or take so I'm sure you are fine

This or 30% of your daily calories in protein. You can go in and manually change it. You won't get too much, lol.
  • Jeckersaw
    Jeckersaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I believe registered dieticians recommend 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Protein is prob the best macro you can eat... I would eat most of my diet as protein of I wasn't running.... protein builds muscle, kills appetite, and regulates blood sugar.... in fact you can live on protein and fat alone without carbs while you can't just eat carbs...
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are eating too much protein as some say 1 gram per lb of weight and that is a lot.

Have you customised your goals mine are 40% carbs (probable too high) and 30% fat and protein, and I'm never on target but it does give me something to aim for.

Protein's great for building muscle if you are working out, and does curb hunger pangs. I use a 1/4 protein bar as a night time snack, stops me snacking on junk food and curbs my need for a chocolate fix.

you can add me as a friend if you like
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are eating too much protein as some say 1 gram per lb of weight and that is a lot.

Have you customised your goals mine are 40% carbs (probable too high) and 30% fat and protein, and I'm never on target but it does give me something to aim for.

Protein's great for building muscle if you are working out, and does curb hunger pangs. I use a 1/4 protein bar as a night time snack, stops me snacking on junk food and curbs my need for a chocolate fix.

you can add me as a friend if you like
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks I haven't adjusted any goals just gone with MFP set out. I workout a lot so I need the protein so that is good to know that they have it set very low.
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Extra protein as you're losing will ensure you're not burning through muscle (or HELP with that) but if you're not losing check what the bodybuilders do. They're a great source of info.