Exercise without being on my feet?

Options
Hi, y'all!

So I've always had problems with my feet (arches, mostly) which has stopped me from running, so I mostly walked as exercise. This weekend, though, I found out that my right foot is developing a bunion, and that I need to stay off my feet and keep my feet out of my shoes as much as possible so as not to irritate it, since I'd like for it not to get worse. But I was wondering... are there exercises I could without standing on my feet to help lose weight? Does pilates actually help?

Replies

• Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well, swimming could be great, and I love Pop Pilates on YouTube. Also, you might consider wearing "barefoot" style shoes in the future, which allow for a natural splaying of the toes. Maybe someday you can get back into running!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    cycling

if you use a stationary bike you can go barefoot. If you go outdoors its only minimal 'on feet' time
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    oh my there are so many things you can do...wt lifting, pilates, chair dancing... Richard Simmons has a sweatin tape for people in wheel chairs...lots of upper arm stuff. arm bikes. even bicycling shouldnt hurt your bunion.....take it from someone who started exercisng right after acchillles heel tendon surgery and was non wt bearing for MONTHS...you can do A LOT with out having to run or walk...
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Hi, y'all!

So I've always had problems with my feet (arches, mostly) which has stopped me from running, so I mostly walked as exercise. This weekend, though, I found out that my right foot is developing a bunion, and that I need to stay off my feet and keep my feet out of my shoes as much as possible so as not to irritate it, since I'd like for it not to get worse. But I was wondering... are there exercises I could without standing on my feet to help lose weight? Does pilates actually help?

Pilates and yoga help for strength and flexibility, but its not usually a huge calorie burn. Its hard to get that heart pumping burn with out being on your feet, but you can do weights while seated and take a spin class or stationary bike. Hope your feet feel better!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    The first thing that sprang to mind was 'adult fun time'. It's a great workout if you're on top. XD

Now for a more serious suggestion, cycling. That should be okay with your bunion. Swimming is also very good.