could use some opinions/confirmations/suggestions

Options
before i begin, i'm not posting this so that people will reply with, but oh you look great! i really just want to know if anyone else is going through this and how to get past it.

i have never considered my body an enviable shape. i went from 162 on a 5'4" frame to 130 and am now maintaining between 130-134. my old clothes do not fit anymore at all. the clothes i wear now are new or my "skinny" clothes from before the weight loss that now hang on by a belt or just droop. i know i lost a lot of weight and i know i'm smaller now. but for some reason when i look in the mirror all i can see is the chubby girl that i was, just in a smaller version. not sure if that makes sense. all i tend to see are the soft spots and the jiggly bits that i still have and its getting harder the longer i maintain to see the newly fit and skinny body that i saw at first when i lost the weight.

how do you get past that way of thinking? or do i just need to keep up with a good workout plan and hope that the toning will ease this mindset? i appreciate all the comments i know i'm going to get, everyone has always been so helpful!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I think we all struggle a bit with our reality versus what we think we see.

Take some professionally done pictures.

I'm sure some days are better than others. This too shall pass.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    You are not alone. I have lost all my weight and am now maintaining at 180. I set a new goal to get rid of the remaining flab to 170.
    Is that reasonable? It is to me.

I know I still have at least 10 lbs of fat to lose. However, I am not really worried about losing the weight so much as I am toning up.

I am seeing results, albeit slowly, but I still see myself as a little on the fat side. I know I am not, but, well, there it is.

Bottom line, your not fat, but you are not yet satisfied with your shape. I suggest continue to focus on a good exercise regimen for strength and toning.
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are at your goal weight but your aren't toned and these are all the jiggly bits that you see.

I am 800 grams from my goal weight and now concentrating on strength training. Might be worth looking into if that is the case.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This is probably not the forum to bring up Dr. Phil... but a few years back he wrote a book on weight loss and established the 7 keys to weight loss freedom. Key #1 is right thinking.... maybe its worth a read.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice! i think i'm going to just stick with toning until i'm either satisfied that i have given it my best, or that i'm rocking a more tone physique. :)
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Anyone who has ever had a problem with weight will struggle to see past what we are used to seeing. You see it a lot in those who have anorexia or bulemia where all they see is how fat their mind is making them think they are when in actuality they are underweight. I think it definately has something to do with the way you are thinking, but you may need to do some toning. Try swimming or a weight lifting class. I am not sure if you belong to a gym or if you are interested in going to one, but look for a class called body pump (weight lifting to high intensity music) or body combat (basically kickboxing/martial arts to awesome music). I LOVE these classes. They are fun and the teachers are usually really motivating and push you in a nice way. But all in all, take a couple minutes a day and look at yourself in the mirror. Focus on what you have acheived more than what your mind is telling you that you still need to work on. We are all works in progress, whether we have the perfect body or not, we all need to work on something. Reward yourself for what you have acheived and set rewards for next achievements. If you start taking a class or lifting weights, make an attainable, but not simple, goal to work for and reward yourself with a mani/pedi (or whatever you want that isn't food) when you get to that goal. The best advice I ever got was to not reward yourself with food when you are trying to lose weight. Keep at it!