Let's talk running shoes!

Options
So...runners...

What's your favorite running shoe?
Why do you love it?
How many pairs of running shoes do you have?

I'm an Asics 2100 series kinda girl. I love them because they are super comfortable, support my feet in all the right places and aren't too heavy. I currently have the 2150's but have my eye on a pair of 2160's on ebay....and I only have one pair because I'm too cheap to have more than that! :happy:

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh you're totally speaking my language.

Asics 2160s, Brooks Adrenaline 11s and Mizuno Wave Inspire Osakas (Special Edition) are my current 3. I have a few older pairs that I'll wear every once in a while, love, love shoes. Looking to get the Brooks ST Racer and Brooks Pure Cadence as well in the next few months...

2160s are my least favorite pair, just the fit isn't as good and they're the heaviest (or they appear to be) of the three.
    Adrenalines are the best shoes hands down for someone who overpronates and needs a moderate stability shoe. Lightweight, no cushion...ideal for me.
    And the Inspire Osakas are just a dream. They are gorgeous and the newest of my shoes with only 15 miles on them. They're a fabulous shoe to run in, so far!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Same shoes for me ... One 6 months old pair and one that's over a year old I keep for icky weather days!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Saucony Progrid Guide 4, but the 5 just came out and they are lighter!

I might have to upgrade.

I love them because it feels like I am running on clouds, except I don't fall through them.

(And I was seriously just browsing for shoes online. Weird that you just posted this.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What's your favorite running shoe? I am a through and through Saucony girl. Sadly my favorite running shoe is the Saucony Ride, however, being a neutral shoe, I have some problems wearing it. I moved to a Hurricane which works well for me, but I don't love it as much as the Ride.

Why do you love it? They feel nice, light, and always look better than the Hurricanes.

How many pairs of running shoes do you have? Um, I have a ton of pairs. How many do I run with, I rotate between two pairs mainly. I mistakenly bought the Saucony Guide instead of the Hurricane (both a stability shoe) and hated them, so I use them for my gym workouts.

As for being too cheap to buy more than one, I am too however, we generally do a trip to the US once a year. I head to the Saucony outlet store and usually get some really good deals on the shoes, allowing me to buy more than one pair. This trip I only got one though.
  • Salinat
    Options
    LOVED Nike LunarFly/Swift. Recently, I was examined/fitted at FitNiche and told I was over pronating. Brooks Adrenaline for now with orthotics! I LOVE RUNNING SHOES. I keep two brand new pairs stocked for emergencies. A little bit of a shoe fanatic. Great Topic!
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My first pair were Asics Nimbus that I got for $100 at out local Academy store. LOVE! Went to our local 'shoe' fitting/running store & got Brooks all-season (winter shoe) for $115. I don't love them more than my Asics but I think it's because they aren't as light but they will be a bit warmer for this winter.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love the Mizuno Wave Rider 15 and Wave Precision 12! These are the two pairs of shoes I wear most often. They are light and cushy! I just bought the Brooks Pure Cadence, but haven't run in them yet. I have tons of running shoes...mostly Saucony and Mizuno.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I have 2 pairs of Reebok ZigTech's. Love them because I am prone to shin splints and ever since I got my Zig's, I don't get them anymore! They are also super comfy!!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd pair of Nike Free 5.0's... love 'em! Also have a pair of Brooks Adrenalines, but they just sit in my closet, even on my long runs. Thinking of trying a pair of Vibrams out, but haven't yet summoned the courage!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    These are all in my closet:

1. Pearl Izumi Syncro Fuel (street)
    2. Pearl Izumi Syncro Feul XC (street-to-light trail)
    3. Pearl Izumi ISO Seek IV WRX (Light trail/ water resistant)
    4. INOV-8 Roclite 295 (gnarly trails)
    5. INOV-8 Bare-Grip 200 (gnarly trails- ultra light racers)
    5. INOV-8 Talon 212 (gnarly trails- ultra light racers - back-ups)

I run on a lot of various trails and terrains. I like to have the perfect shoe for every occasion, and yes, I pick my shoe based on my run.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I like my Mizuno Wave Rider 14 :heart: and I also like my Adidas SuperNova Glide 3 :heart: .
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    1. Pearl Izumi Syncro Fuel (street)
    2. Pearl Izumi Syncro Feul WX (street-to-light trail)
    3. Pearl Izumi ISO Seek IV WRX (Light trail)
    4. INOV-8 Roclite 295 (gnarly trails)
    5. INOV-8 Bare-Grip 200 (gnarly trails- ultra light racers)
    5. INOV-8 Talon 212 (gnarly trails- ultra light racers - back-ups)

And yes, I pick my shoe based on my run.

I would love to live close to gnarly trail running :smile:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    ... Thinking of trying a pair of Vibrams out, but haven't yet summoned the courage!

Ah yes! The barefoot runners! I tried some on but just running around the store, they seemed really primitive for my needs at the time.

The lady at the store said that she attended a conference where it was recommended that folks work these into their running schedule 1-2 times per week rather than going "gung ho". I was looking for a core pair of shoes so couldn't justify getting them to kind of work my way into barefoot running.

They are the coolest looking shoe, though!

I'm loving seeing what everyone uses...it never occurred to me to pick a shoe based on my run! I feel some upcoming shoe fever taking over any budgetary prudence...
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    ... Thinking of trying a pair of Vibrams out, but haven't yet summoned the courage!

Ah yes! The barefoot runners! I tried some on but just running around the store, they seemed really primitive for my needs at the time.

The lady at the store said that she attended a conference where it was recommended that folks work these into their running schedule 1-2 times per week rather than going "gung ho". I was looking for a core pair of shoes so couldn't justify getting them to kind of work my way into barefoot running.

I'm loving seeing what everyone uses...it never occurred to me to pick a shoe based on my run! I feel some upcoming shoe fever taking over any budgetary prudence...

I've got VFFs, and they are terrific. Yes, definitely ease into them, with only 5 minutes of running at a time. You'll feel it in your calves for sure. It will always make it painfully clear if your form sucks. They're good for helping your correct your poor running form, while simultaneously building stronger feet and lower legs.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Well, the Nike Free 5.0s are minimalist shoes and I've been wearing them throughout my marathon training; my plan was to wear the Adrenalines for my long runs, but they just seem heavy and clunky after wearing the 5.0's for so long. The Vibrams would definitely be another step towards barefoot, so I'll have to tread carefully (punny, punny) if I decide to take the plunge, but I'm hoping my quality time in minimalist shoes has prepared me.

Now if something could only prepare me for the looks I'll get at my strange-looking footwear... :laugh:
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I've got VFFs, and they are terrific. Yes, definitely ease into them, with only 5 minutes of running at a time. You'll feel it in your calves for sure. It will always make it painfully clear if your form sucks. They're good for helping your correct your poor running form, while simultaneously building stronger feet and lower legs.

BTW...like a pp said, I'd love to do some "gnarly" trail running!

But...speaking of form, she also said something about the shorter steps, higher knee lift when wearing the VFF's. Do you do that and do you transfer that form when you wear your other shoes? I tried to do this but it felt so unnatural and I ran slower...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really really would like to go minimalist and VFF but I am too nervous. I know it is supposed to strengthen your weakness, but like I said above, I have problems in neutral shoes and have no issues with my stability shoes.
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Since finally being properly fitted for running shoes about 10 years ago, I stick with New Balance (currently 940's). Plenty of stability for my pronating and as far as I know the only running shoes that come in widths (I have wide feet).
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I wear NB 1123. I'm big and need all the extras like stability, motion control and arch support. I love them.
    AND they come in 14 4E!
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

BTW...like a pp said, I'd love to do some "gnarly" trail running!

But...speaking of form, she also said something about the shorter steps, higher knee lift when wearing the VFF's. Do you do that and do you transfer that form when you wear your other shoes? I tried to do this but it felt so unnatural and I ran slower...

I can only speak for myself. The biggest gain in form you'll get from these shoes is that they force you to land mid-foot (proper form), and not heel strike (poor form). This may be what that person meant by "shorter steps". Proper form prevents running-related injuries where biomechanics are concerned. I'm not sure about the "knee lifting" though.

I'm a mid-foot runner anyways, so it's easy for me to switch from regular shoes to the VFFs. I don't wear them on rocky trails or anywhere I'll be hauling *kitten* down hills. It's too painful on my feet to run hard with them (stone bruised). I haven't tried them off of the trails though. So your mileage may vary.