Heart Rate Monitor Watch vs chest strap

Hello again! (I know, I'm full of questions...)

I went and bought a wrist HRM and I'm finding that it is not calculating my calories correctly AT ALL!! I have been told that a HRM with a chest strap is much more accurate.

Any opinions?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member

I went and bought a wrist HRM and I'm finding that it is not calculating my calories correctly AT ALL!! I have been told that a HRM with a chest strap is much more accurate.

Any opinions?

Yes. The versions with the chest strap will always be more accurate. Polar HRM models seem to be the most reliable of all brands.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member

Any opinions?

Chest strap is the best. It's sitting right over your heart. It's the best way to get an accurate reading. And some cardio machines at the gym sync with it so you can get an accurate reading on your machine as well. But definitely wearing a chest strap is the most accurate.
  • toyachanty
    toyachanty Posts: 7 Member
    I recommend HRM with the chest strap. This gives you the advantage of switching from running to walking to dancing to weight lifting and still have your calories being counted. Chest strap definitely is the way to go.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 926 Member
    I had the watch type. It told me I burned 2-3x as many calories as my Polar FT4 with chest strap. I was eating those calories back and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing anything.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    don't dis the walmart hrm. it works good enough people....haha
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    You can get a more accurate reading with your wristwatch if you take your pulse at frequent intervals. I was able to get it to work by taking my heart rate about 30sec after I switched intensity levels in the workout.

The caveat- I only know that it was accurate because I was wearing the chest strap version I bought.

You'll be more accurate with a chest strap because you are getting continuous HR measurement, but if you are aware of shifts in your level of exertion, you won't be way out of the ballpark. The reality is none of this is exact.

While I primarily use my chest strap, I still use my watch version when I'm not in the mood to strap up.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    The wrist ones are OK if you frequently update the heart rate by using your fingers. It's more of a manual, points in time thing that the calculator averages out, whereas the chest strap sensors are constantly monitoring.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    I can't be too far off I guess because I'm losing pretty dead on to what my goals are and I eat back ALL (:drinker: ) of my exercise calories!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    I have a Mio strapless wrist HRM that I have used. It is accurate as far as measuring heart rate goes, but you need to religiously recheck your heart rate every time you change intensity and therein lies the rub because the watch often won't reliably take your heart rate while you are running or moving vigorously. So you have to stop to get a reading, which makes your heart rate drop and throws your calorie reading (and your workout) off. On top of that I'm not sure if the software it actually uses to calculate calorie burn is very effective. Even when I could get the thing to work well my calorie burns seemed unrealistically low.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    I use a chest strap version and they are known for being more accurate. But, aside from that, everyone here that I know who uses the watch style dislikes it. They have to continually stop their workout and put a finger to the monitor on the watch. Just even having to think about that would make me crazy.
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    You can get a Polar FT4 at Amazon for as low as $63 with free shipping. Good price!

I have not ordered one yet because I'm curious about my needing the smaller chest strap in just 3 inches or so. ARGH! LOL
  • fvincentelli
    fvincentelli Posts: 15 Member
    Chest strap monitors are much more accurate for two reasons: first, they have a much larger contact area with your skin, and second, they are much closer to your heart, which makes it easier to pick up the electric signals that trigger its contractions.

Polar makes good units and they are almost universally compatible with gym cardio equipment. They also make a Bluetooth-enabled transmitter that you can sync up with your smartphone (there are apps for iPhones/iPods and for Android phones) which let you track your workout much more closely and get better information.

If you want the watch type, the FT4 mentioned elsewhere in this thread is a great model. I own one and swear by it.