Calorie cheating

Options
How often is it ok to go over your calorie goal? Within reason of course, maybe like, ending with -100 net calories? How OK is that? I figure I won't gain weight, but I want to lose it!

Replies

• Figuringoutme
    Options
    bumpppp
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You would still be in a deficit, so once in awhile is perfectly fine in my opinion. :smile:
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    If you are only going over by 100, you will still lose. That is still eating fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight, so going over just a bit once in awhile is no big deal. You just don't want to cheat by not logging what you eat. The information you get from logging is worth a ton to your weight loss power! (maybe I should say worth a negative ton??)
  • jule_sea
    Options
    This will vary on how much you plan to loose per week. If you are set to loose one pound per week and if you figure that 3500 calories is equal to a pound, then going over every day by 100 calories would mean that it would take you a little more than an extra day to loose one pound. You can go over as much as you want it will just take you longer to loose the weight. Hope that helps.
  • Aroz25
    Aroz25 Posts: 40
    Options
    I think maybe once or twice a week if it was me, cos I know I do go over occasionally but as long as you are eating healthy foods instead of takeaways/junk food then it should be ok?
  • abbullar
    Options
    I've been going over by about 50-100 calories every day this week. Is that too much to see results?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your calories are, but if you're at 1200 you'd still lose if you went over by 100 ~ 200.
  • jamesmacvoy
    jamesmacvoy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    eating 100 over is nbd. most nutritionists say you should stick between 1200-1500 to lose weight. So yeah, you'll still lose weight.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, when you press the "complete this entry" button, MFP will telll you whether you will say you will lose weight in 5 weeks or not.