PCOS

Options

Replies

• glo_79
    glo_79 Posts: 37
    Options
    3000 per day is a lot. I am on 850 2x per day and my BC is NuvaRing which is a fav of my RE.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was on the patch a few years ago and was able to keep a steady (but still 40 lbs overweight) weight. I'm curious about the IUD since it's something that will be consistent and long term. Thoughts?
  • JULIUSKITTY
    JULIUSKITTY Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1000 mg is not enough even for someone with borderline pcos. I would join that webiste mentioned earlier. The ladies there have really good info... but also.. sounds like you need a new dr. Im only saying this because Ive never heard of metformin causing bloating thats so silly. I felt more bloated without it honestly.. but maybe find out if thats true on that website. I just rememered the name of my dr if you want to see him he is great - his name is Gordan Park at Westridge Clinic.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    I hated the Nuva Ring. Ha, I've been on pretty much every bc out there... I want to stick to one consistently. Just got to find one I like I guess. Sorry I added wrong everyone. I used to take two 500mg pills twice a day, now I take one 500mg twice a day. So used to be 2000mg, now I'm doing 1000mg.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    Where is Westridge again?
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    the mg on metformin is determined from teh blood test. It is quite normal to be started on 1000 mg so your body gets used to it then 1500 for most pcos woman and higher for those with levels even father off the chart.
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    Westridge is on 4700 s 4000 w a block east of bangeter hwy. I love the staff there, there all very freindly.
  • glo_79
    glo_79 Posts: 37
    Options
    Unless its a hormonal iui like Mirena it's not likely to help....even a Mirena which I believe contains progesterone (hormones similar to the mini pill) probably isn't the best for a pcos'er.
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    He graduated from the University of Utah one of the best places for medical.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    That is RIGHT next to where I live!! This is incredible. I'll definitely give them a call after the first of the year (for insurance purposes) and see what he can do for me. I would love to have a consistent doctor who knows what he/she is talking about so that I'm consistent and can trust the doc, you know? Thank you so much everyone.
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    lol we dont live very far from each other. Im in Taylorsville too... such a small world lol. Let me know how it goes, when you do. In the meantime a low carb wouldnt be such a bad idea to help control the insulin deal.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    So I'm assuming a protein and vegetable diet? Limit fruits and of course all grains, pastas, etc? Is it ok for your body to be on such low carbs since that's what the body burns to function?
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    It is okay to be on a low carb diet. I have done it before and it did work very well. I also did the atkins diet but that is such a strict diet and not recomended. I would just like you said, limit pasta's, fatty foods like chips, potatoes, white bread, etc.
  • rachelboddy
    Options
    I was so excited to eat potatoes too! LOL. Last time I went on a very restrictive carb diet I went through withdrawal I guess, and got bad headaches. Did you ever experience that or been told what to do?
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    If your getting headaches dont push it.. its because your body is going hay wire wanting more and more carbs.. making them. craving them but not seeing them unless you eat alot... the metformin will fix all that hay wire stuff.. if it makes you sick without it I wouldnt eliminate it just limit it.
  • JULIUSKITTY
    Options
    I dont remember ever being sick not having them, but my sister has pcos and she has.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from the evil IUD. My best friend is on it and her testosterone is through the roof. She has terrible acne flare-ups and is experiencing hair loss. Paradoxically though, she has lost a ton of weight since she's been on it. You should try Yasmin or Safyral first because you can easily stop taking it if it doesn't relieve your weight gain problem. The IUD is much more of a hassle to remove if problems arise.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    So I'm assuming a protein and vegetable diet? Limit fruits and of course all grains, pastas, etc? Is it ok for your body to be on such low carbs since that's what the body burns to function?

Actually, there are several different ways that your body can get energy. One way is by burning carbs. Carbs provide "instant bursts" of energy, which are useful if you have to hunt down your dinner, or if your insulin & carb processing systems work just fine. But neither of those apply to us. :smile:

But carbs are NOT the only way to get energy. We people with metabolism challenges do much better if we avoid carbs. This forces our bodies to get energy through a different chemical reaction: burning fat & protein. If no carbs are available, our bodies are forced to switch over to using these other energy sources, which are more steady and slow-burning and let us avoid the constant spiking and crashing caused by carbs. And the great thing about this is that the chemical reaction requires 3 parts fat to one part protein. So if you eat few carbs and plenty of protein, you can force your body to burn fat in this way.

Yes, some people who are "carb-addicted" do go through some withdrawal symptoms, including headaches and minor fatigue, for the first few days / up to a week. Drinking lots of water will help, because when your body switches over from being fueled by carbs to being fueled by protein it can cause minor dehydration. But in my experience, it's over quickly and SO worth it in the long run! If you find a low-carb doctor who can guide you through the process, that is a big help.

Once I got through the first week, I've had more energy than ever before. I used to go on a carb binge, then get really tired & depressed once they wore off, and then I'd crave them again in this vicious cycle. Now I just keep my body constantly fueled & working steadily with the protein, and it's wonderful.
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sorry if you go back a week or two before Thanksgiving you can see a twoo week period where I actually kept track of my journal. I skip once in a while because I'm so consistent that I am pretty aware of what I'm eating. Yes, they've tested me multiple times for all of those tests, and the last person I talked to was my gyno, I've had the ultra sound done and they counted over 14 cysts on each ovary easily. My gyno told me I would be fine with a normal diet of carbs protein and fats. She didn't say there needed to be any special diet. That's why this is so frustrating.

I was DX with PCOS when I ws 19, I too had the "string of pearls" about 12-14 on each ovary. I was put on met and provera I took myself off of both the met because of stomach issues and the Provera because that is a horrid drug they should have kept on the shelf. I balloned up 100lbs to 415 over an eight year period... Around 2008 I started watching what I ate and cut fast food down to almost never then I started losing weight fast over the next yr and a half I lost about 95lbs started Zumba and got pregnant (after 9 yrs of TTC) So now my son is 9 months old and I am back on the bandwagon to continue my weight loss and I'm going back to my low Carb, low sodium mostly home cooked meals diet.

There is a wonderful PCOS website http://www.soulcysters.com I learned so much there over the years and have made some great friends from the site... Its worth a look if nothing else, there is a lot of great info on there.