My BMR is below 1200

I have a question. My BMR is 1126, I'm very small, at 4"7. So is it okay for me to eat 1126, below the recommended 1200 calorie intake? I mean I know I'm a 'woman' but I'm as small as a kid! So maybe that 1200 guideline isn't applicable to me?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Have you figured out what your TDEE is? I would figure that out and deduct your deficit from that vs trying to eat your BMR. Your BMR is the amount your body burns if you were in a coma. Once you get out of bed and start moving around, you'll need more calories.
  • I agree with chevy.
    How many calories do you get to maintain your current weight? I would subtract 250-500 from there and you are golden :]
  • You can eat less than 1200 and still be very healthy, especially at your height. Don't worry about it. 1200 is just a number.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Your instincts are telling you right. Eat 500 calories below your BMR, and screw MFP's "guidelines".
    All bodies are different. I hate blanket statements and I really hate blanket caloric guidelines...
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Your instincts are telling you right. Eat 500 calories below your BMR, and screw MFP's "guidelines".
    All bodies are different. I hate blanket statements and I really hate blanket caloric guidelines...

Why would you eat 500 kcal below BMR? Sure that's fine if you sleep all day long and don't move at all. And it's funny how you hate blanket caloric guidelines, yet spit out "eat 500 kcal below". 500 kcal below shouldn't be used in every case.
  • chevy88grl

Eat 500 calories below your BMR?

Um. This may work for you - as we are all different, but I don't recommend this for everyone. If the OP eats 500 calories below her BMR - she will be in the 600 net calories range. I would be cautious about consuming so few calories for an extended period of time.

I stand behind my original post of figuring out her TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and deduct your deficit from THAT and NOT from your BMR.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    The real reason that 1200 is recommended as a minimum is that it is very hard (almost impossible) to work out a diet that has all the nutrients recommended (vitamins, minerals, protein and essential fats) on less than 1200 calories per day. It isn't really about calories per se, though it is important not to go too low on that, either (i.e. not less than 500 below what you are expending daily). This does make it difficult when you are small - which means it might be a good idea to consult a nutritionist if you want to lose weight, to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need.
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    My TDEE is only 1351, because my day consists of sitting at my desk both at home and at work. But I aim to burn 600 calories a day, 5 days a week, at the gym. I've been eating 1200 calories up until now, but have only lost 2kg in a month, so I'm thinking thats too high for me.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I think it's fine to eat at your BMR. But I do recommend double checking that you still meet your vitamin/mineral RDAs
  • chevy88grl
    My TDEE is only 1351, because my day consists of sitting at my desk both at home and at work. But I aim to burn 600 calories a day, 5 days a week, at the gym. I've been eating 1200 calories up until now, but have only lost 2kg in a month, so I'm thinking thats too high for me.

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, it is possible that you aren't eating enough. As odd as it sounds, you have to make sure you're fueling your body properly in order for it to be comfortable enough to lose weight. If you're consuming 1200 calories and burning 600 at the gym, but not eating any of them back -- then you're only netting 600 calories a day (or so).
  • baybeejulia
    I don't eat back my calories.. The thing is, what's the point of exercising if I'm going to eat back my calories? Why don't I just eat more and work out less? The thing is, I'm comfortable eating 1200 or less.. I don't eat very large meals and only eat foods that are low carbs, but I still get full. In saying that, I still want to avoid putting my body in starvation mode.
  • chevy88grl
    I don't eat back my calories.. The thing is, what's the point of exercising if I'm going to eat back my calories? Why don't I just eat more and work out less? The thing is, I'm comfortable eating 1200 or less.. I don't eat very large meals and only eat foods that are low carbs, but I still get full. In saying that, I still want to avoid putting my body in starvation mode.

Well. If you're eating 1200 - 600 = 600 net. For most people 600 net calories simply isn't enough food. If your BMR is 1126 and you're only netting 600 calories, your body will eventually go into starvation mode. It isn't getting enough food to properly fuel itself. This could be the reason you aren't losing much weight.

You want a deficit (that's why Sunshine and I said to deduct 250 calories or so off your TDEE and NOT off your BMR) but too large of a deficit is going to cause your body to rebel against losing weight. It isn't receiving enough fuel to perform basic functions - it surely isn't going to want to lose any weight.

I would suggest NETTING 1200 calories or so and see how it goes for a few weeks. You may see a slight weight INCREASE as your body adjusts to more calories, but it is temporary and will come back off.
  • Chevy explained it very well :]

We exercise for many reasons other than weight loss keep that in mind! Mfp has a built in deficit, creating weight loss completely through diet.

The tough part about this is your height! at 4ft 7 you could get away with 1000 net calories.
    The problem with going any lower is that you will have a harder time getting your macros/micros if you are not eating enough. Have to feed the body what it needs you know :]
  • baybeejulia
    thanks for the help guys :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Exercise is for improving fitness, not losing weight.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member

2 kg in a month is a fast clip for someone with a TDEE of only 1351.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member

Why would you eat 500 kcal below BMR? Sure that's fine if you sleep all day long and don't move at all. And it's funny how you hate blanket caloric guidelines, yet spit out "eat 500 kcal below". 500 kcal below shouldn't be used in every case.

Haha, pwned.
  • sinobaako82
    sinobaako82 Posts: 43 Member
    doesn't this site tell you that if you eat way under your calorie allowance for the day it would slow down your metabolism, cause your system will go into starvation mode if you consume too few calories. i think eating back at least half of your exercise calorie would be a good idea.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    doesn't this site tell you that if you eat way under your calorie allowance for the day it would slow down your metabolism, cause your system will go into starvation mode if you consume too few calories. i think eating back at least half of your exercise calorie would be a good idea.

Well if you eat below your caloric needs, your body attacks the amino acids in your muscles for a fuel source which in turn decrease lean muscle mass and finally will slow your metabolism. Since lean muscle mass is a direct determinate for your metabolism, it's best to minimize caloric deficits to reduce muscle loss. This is why when people get closer to their goal, they reduce the deficit as well as your bodies fat stores don't have enough extra give and fight to protect the fuel in the stores.

Also, there is a reason for the 1200 figure. It's not just the nutrients you need for a healthy system, it's the caloric requirements for your organs and brain to function. So eating less than your bodies requirements will just cause your body to freak out. Below is a pretty good thread with some information that can explain it more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results