Reduction in Resting Heart Rate: How Long Did it Take for yo

Options
Hey guys. I've been working out a lot and would really like to see a reduction in my resting heart rate. It's considered "healthy" but the closer I get to 60 bpm, the more efficient my heart will be. It fluctuates from 75-95 at the moment...my heart rate takes a long time after a workout to get back down too...

Just wondering if any of you achieved a reduction in lowering your resting heart rate?

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It is not as linear as that, HR depends on factors other then just how hard you workout.

With time and a sustained and incremental training regime you should see a drop in RHR and your HR should return to normal values quicker as you get fitter but it is very hard to say in any specific case how long it will take for something like that to happen.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Well, I started on Jan. 1, 2011. I have no idea what my RHR was at that time, but it had to be through the ceiling. I did a lot of time walking on the incline treadmill during the first half of the year, working myself up to where I could walk at 15 degrees for an hour straight. I'm now down 90 pounds and my RHR is 44 (11 months later). I have no idea what my RHR was at any time prior to July (upper 40's).
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I haven't been aiming for it specifically, but I've noticed that my resting heart rate has dropped from around 60 at the start of my diet (January) to around 50 as of the last few days. I've been exercising around 2 hours per day, so I guess it's that and the weight loss that have brought it down.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly in shape, but I think mine is lowish. I was sitting on the floor switching out dvds before my workout when I turned on my hrm and it was in the 60s, not sure what my resting heart rate is though. But ya, I'm not really in great shape either so idt it's always an indication of that.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly in shape, but I think mine is lowish. I was sitting on the floor switching out dvds before my workout when I turned on my hrm and it was in the 60s, not sure what my resting heart rate is though. But ya, I'm not really in great shape either so idt it's always an indication of that.

Your RHR is best measured in the morning just after waking up and before any activity. The fact that you're sitting down doesn't necessarily mean it is a accurate RHR.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

Your RHR is best measured in the morning just after waking up and before any activity. The fact that you're sitting down doesn't necessarily mean it is a accurate RHR.
    I know, that's what I was trying to get at. I would assume it would be lower than when I was sitting.