Too much stress!

Options
Hi all!

I am under constant stress, and to be honest... I don't even know when I have not been stressed. Even as a child, I was always stressed out! My parents favorite saying was "you worry too much, calm down!"

I was just wondering if any of you have tips on how to stay "stress free"?

I would really appreciate the advice!

Replies

• jen_ferrante
    jen_ferrante Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have had my battles with stress recently. If you try to change the way you think about stress you may be able to overcome some of the anxiety that comes along with it. When I feel myself becoming overwhelmed because of everything on my mind, I stop, look up, take a deep breath and tell myself I'm making it harder than it has to be. One thing at a time. Prioritize things and take things as they come at you. See if that helps. :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Try googling "Type A personality" and see if you fit the profile.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I too also deal with stress normally relating too not having enough time.

I juggle like most people; family, work, school, and personal time.

A big thing that most people forgot and find hard to do is... ask for help.
    Second thing we always forget... do things to make ourselves happy.

These two things really help make stress melt away and make us happier.

Ask a friend to watch the kids a night. Try having the kids help cook dinner so they are enganged rather then bother you while you are trying to get your task done.
    (read your profile after and saw you don't have kids so this won't help but oh well)

Sorry, I have many ideas but without knowing exactly what is causing the stress I can't really offer you a way to deal with it. If you want to send me a private message I would gladly offer a few suggestions ^.^

Good luck!
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try googling "Type A personality" and see if you fit the profile.

Sadly, that's me in a nutshell! ::noway:
  • californiansun
    Options
    I too also deal with stress normally relating too not having enough time.

I juggle like most people; family, work, school, and personal time.

A big thing that most people forgot and find hard to do is... ask for help.
    Second thing we always forget... do things to make ourselves happy.

These two things really help make stress melt away and make us happier.

Ask a friend to watch the kids a night. Try having the kids help cook dinner so they are enganged rather then bother you while you are trying to get your task done.
    (read your profile after and saw you don't have kids so this won't help but oh well)

Sorry, I have many ideas but without knowing exactly what is causing the stress I can't really offer you a way to deal with it. If you want to send me a private message I would gladly offer a few suggestions ^.^

Good luck!

I have no idea why I am so stressed. I just got out of a LTR where kids were involved(not mine), a lot of deaths in my family, etc. I just need to RELAX! haha.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ish sending you a message >>
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. I lived stressed out for the first 14 years of my life and walked around with my stomach sucked in, my shoulders tense, and nearly daily stress headaches. One day I took a deep breath and something inside me "let go" and all my muscles relaxed - I realized for the first time in my life that I had been spending every waking hour, day after day, year after year, stressed and tense. It was as natural to me as breathing. But I now make a conscious effort to try and relax, though I still sometimes struggle with it.

I realized a few years back what the cause of it is - it started with physical and emotional abuse when I was little and my body and mind became tense as a survival mechanism. Even though I haven't been abused in years it still effects me. I'm now 32 and still get stressed out easily when conflict enters my life. I have to make a conscious effort to focus on relaxing my mind and body. At least now I can control it more. It's not an every day thing like it used to be. Over time it's gotten easier and easier to be relaxed. I can now go months without being stressed or tense.

You do have to become aware of it though, once you realize where the tension and stress lives inside you can work on releasing. Thank it for keeping you safe and helping you focus but then let it go. It doesn't belong in your body any more.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps me a ton. I live a pretty high stress life too. When I can't take it any more, I get up, close the door to my office, take a few deep breaths, and do 5 - 10 minutes of stretching. Then it's back to work. It gets me through the day. Then at night... I do a full yoga work out when I'm not lifting. Best thing ever.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Yoga!

I'm a major Type A, running a company at 24, dealing with all kinds of person/family related issues, so I know a bit about stress. I swear Yoga is what keeps me sane. Also, don't be afraid to just stop for a second and breathe. Sometimes when I'm majorly stressing I just sit down with a cup of green tea and breathe, listen to some music and get away for a bit. It really helps to take a step back from the immediacy of whatever is going on.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am between Tyoe A and B...
  • californiansun
    Options
    Yoga helps me a ton. I live a pretty high stress life too. When I can't take it any more, I get up, close the door to my office, take a few deep breaths, and do 5 - 10 minutes of stretching. Then it's back to work. It gets me through the day. Then at night... I do a full yoga work out when I'm not lifting. Best thing ever.

Ive always wanted to do yoga, but I do not have a gym membership!
  • californiansun
    Options
    Yoga!

I'm a major Type A, running a company at 24, dealing with all kinds of person/family related issues, so I know a bit about stress. I swear Yoga is what keeps me sane. Also, don't be afraid to just stop for a second and breathe. Sometimes when I'm majorly stressing I just sit down with a cup of green tea and breathe, listen to some music and get away for a bit. It really helps to take a step back from the immediacy of whatever is going on.

Yeah, I drink tea and listen to music a lot, but after it's over I go back to being stress or I keep saying "I have so much to do, I have so much to do!!"
  • californiansun
    Options
    I am between Tyoe A and B...

I hate being a type A! Glad I'm not alone!
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    Be compassionate with yourself first and foremost. View your feelings with compassion instead of wanting to "get rid of them". You actually cause yourself more stress/tension by trying to get rid your feelings than accepting them with a relaxed and open mind. You are battling a battle... imagine what it would feel like if you just let go. =)
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym membership. There are DVDs, Video Games, Netflix and Youtube have Yoga Videos, or you can just make it up as you go along.

Everyone has stress in their lives. The key is to learn how to deal with that stress in healthy ways. Exercise, hot baths, and reading are a few healthy ways people use to cope with the stress in their lives. If you really can't deal with it, there are medications that can help you.
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    Yoga!

Yeah, I drink tea and listen to music a lot, but after it's over I go back to being stress or I keep saying "I have so much to do, I have so much to do!!"

You have to retrain your brain how to relax. It takes A LOT of work, time, and patience. You've been this way for how long? It's gonna take a while to view things with a different perspective. Your brain and body have made a habit of holding onto tension, you have to learn how to let it all go and do it over and over and over again. That is the ONLY way you will learn how to relax and not respond the stressors the way you have been.