P90X Question

Options
I'm really sorry if this question has been asked before- I did search it but there is so much on P90X I couldnt get through it all.

I've done insanity before and loved it, and decided to try out P90X as a new workout routine. I'm really interested in the strength training aspect of it that Insanity didn't have.

Cardio has to be a huge part of my workouts for me to lose weight- I've discovered that before while trying things like 30Dshred. I just need the hardcore cardio. I'm on my last 10-15lbs.

I was looking at the P90X schedule, and I noticed that there are many days when you will just be doing something like, for instance, chest and back, and then legs the next day...and only cardio/plyo a couple times a week.

My question is- do these workouts (chest and back, etc) actually burn pretty good calories, or will I need to include extra cardio with these workouts?

Replies

• hotshot1987
    Options
    Yes; the strength-training workout does burn calories. You gonna need them to go through Cardio and Plyometrics a lot easier. I'm currently at my second round of P90X, and boy I tell you, those strength-training exercises really pay off. So yes; those exercises also burn calories.
    Now if you want, there is a schedule you can follow called the Classic Doubles, where you are mostly doing the Classic routine in the morning. In Phase 1, you're just normally doing the Classic schedule, but In Phase 2 you add P90X Cardio in the morning on the first, third, and fifth day. And in Phase 3, you add Cardio on the first, second, fourth and fifth day (I think.) The only week that you do not add Cardio to the workouts are in the recovery weeks, which is the fourth, eighth, and twelfth week of the program.

Hope this helps.
  • paleochora
    paleochora Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think 'Hotshot' answered your question pretty comprehensively. I would just add that strong muscles burn more calories so you will not be 'wasting' your workout. You will get very good results with the P90X, you will be able to change your figure in a way that only cardio cannot do for you. On the weights days as mentioned you can add 45 min brisk walk, swim, cycle, elliptical etc. But the Core Synergie has cardio in it. Good luck :)
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Since I did Insanity, I found that the Plyometric workout to be very intense but totally doable, so I wonder how much more strength training could add to help me with that workout. I am definitely interested in adding it in there, but I worry that I'll be spending too much time doing strength training when I should be spending it on cardio (I still have weight to lose).

I'm totally willing to give it a try- and I am waiting for my HRM in the mail so that will help too-- I just can't imagine doing an hour workout without really having real cardio in there.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have experience with just using the strength dvds with no cardio on those days and still lost weight?