Pregnant(WOOOHOOO!!) and need exercise advice :)

Options
Hello everyone! I just found out a few days ago that I'm pregnant with my second and I'm super excited!!! After my first, I used MFP to help me get back to my old size....I LOVE MFP!!!! Since having my son, I have done Jillian's 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones and Killer Buns and Thighs. I have also completed a round of P90x, in addition to some jogging, walking and elliptical training. I am currently in better shape than I was prior to having my first child. With this new pregnancy, I'd like to keep up my current workout routine (a mix of Jillian dvds mostly) for at least the first trimester. During my second trimester, I'd still like to continue the same routine, but with modifications as needed (such as doing something else during ab moves, and major modifications during high impact moves). The third trimester is where I'm a little stumped.....
I know in the end of pregnancy I won't be caught dead trying to attempt a burpee or anything of that sort....Jillian's moves just aren't very accommodating to giant pregnant bellies lol! I'm thinking I might need to switch to something a bit easier on the joints. I am super addicted to tough workouts though so I need some advice please
I need something I can do at home due to an active toddler and time constraints. I want something that is still VERY cardio but lower impact. I would love to hear from anyone that has done Leslie Sansone's walking dvds. Are they good? Other suggestions are also VERY WELCOME!
And folks please understand, I am already aware that I need to listen to my body and not push myself too far, eat plenty of good food and all that good stuff. I already have the go ahead from my doctor to continue my normal routine for as long as I can comfortably do so....I am just looking for late 2nd and early 3rd trimester suggestions since I know I won't be able to comfortably continue my current routine throughout the whole pregnancy. Thanks bunches!!!

Replies

• AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    look online there are some great maternity fitness DVDs! 3rd trimester yoga is great!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    and congratulations!!!!
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say "congratulations"!!!! :D
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I just posted a topic looking for pregnant friends and then I saw your post!!! I have done Leslie Sansone walk at home and I really like it. I found that when I started wearing my HRM, my heart rate wasn't exactly where I wanted it to be the whole workout so I modified it by exaggerating the movements, but being pregnant you probubly wouldn't have to do that! I like pregnant yoga DVD's. That might be good for you in your 3rd trimester because its more low key. Good luck with your pregnancy and finding something that works for you!!!!
  • inspiration
    inspiration Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did yoga and power walked third trimester. I also took a prenatal aqua aerobics class and other water aerobics classes right up till three days before I gave birth. I exercised a ton but also gained 60 lbs! I think your body is going to do what it wants in pregnancy but good for you for exercising and making a plan. Congratulations!
  • Addicted2Fitness
    Options
    Congratulations. Go to momsintofitness.com. These DVD's are by lindsay brin and she is awesome. I am currently doing the post natal boot camp which is a 12 week program and I have amazing results. She does have DVD's for pregnancy and they are inexpensive. The workout I am doing has a mixture of workouts that I have seen in P90X and Insanity, but I am not sure about the pregnant ones. I do know when we decide on our 2nd child I will be ordering myself a workout from her. She's awesome! Check her out.
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm in my third trimester and I mostly just walk for my cardio. How fast and hard is just determined by how I'm feeling on any given day. Sadly the speed I walk these days is slower than what my cool-downs were pre-pregnancy and yet I'm still feeling my breathing get harder during the workout so I know I'm not working too lightly. I've stopped using an incline on the treadmill too since that causes me back pain these days. I'm looking forward to after I've had the baby and been cleared to exercise again and being able to step up the intensity and do interval training like I used to do.

Also, there is a Group for TTC, Pregnancy and Post Partum that has been formed, come by!
  • blueyeb
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Pregnancy was one of the most amazing experiences in my life :)

I like yourself, did many of my normal exercises with care during the first trimester. During the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, I began doing strictly prenatal exercise videos (below) and walking.

The Perfect Pregnancy Workout Vol. 1 - Karyne Steben
    More strength oriented but safe for use through 3rd trimester.

10 Minute Solutions Prenatal Pilates - Lizbeth Garcia
    Excellent because you can choose 1, 3 or all 5 of the 10 minute workouts depending on your schedule... also safe through the 3rd trimester.

Wishing you a happy & healthy 9 months and congratulations again! :flowerforyou:

Edited to say that you had me laughing out loud at the mental picture of a pregnant person doing a burpee, :noway: hehe! Yeah, no that's not good!
  • Addicted2Fitness
    Options
    She also has DVD's for each trimester
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, . I cant really offer you much advice on pregancy DVD's/exercises. Just wanted to wish you congratulations. When are you due?

Hopefully I can follow your lead in the next year x
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the congrats and suggestions! I am going to check out some of these suggestions, and hopefully I'll find something that works for me....I want INTENSE but SAFE so anyone else that would like to offer suggestions....PLEASE DO!
    It is still very early in the pregnancy...only about 5 weeks in. My due date is July 27th! So super excited!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hope it all goes well for you Dix x
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hope it all goes well for you Dix x

Thank you! :)