Should I or shouldn't I?

Options
emergencytennis
emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
Every day I drive past a very overweight lady walking from the station. She walks a good kilometre up from the station and over a moderate hill whilst wearing a good-sized back pack.. On the other side of the hill she catches a bus on to the university, I presume. Sometimes as I pass she has stopped for a breather on the hill.

I have been passing her at various stages on her journey for at least 6 months now, and every time I pass I want to jump out and tell her how well she is doing and how much I admire her persistence - it has been very hot for the last three weeks. I wonder if I should stop and give her the thumbs up she deserves? I am a slim person so maybe she would actually hate it, especially if she knows I pass her every day?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    That would more than make my day! I told someone at my old gym that once. Their face was so bright :]
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do it....she will appreciate you noticing and taking the time to congratulate her!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    is there any way you could be walking with her ever? that way you could ease into a conversation. i'm not sure how the logistics of trying to compliment someone for fighting the good fight while passing them in a car should work...good luck!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i agree i think it would make her day i know it would mine...
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Last year while I was jogging a woman yelled out to me from her front porch (I passed her house every morning) that she sees me running every day and thinks I’m doing a great job. I was having a crappy day and was just going to give up and walk the rest of the way home but that gave me the motivation I needed to keep going.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and tell her. Its so nice when someone you dont know comes along and gives you a compliment. I would be made up with this. You are a lovely person for wanting to do such a thing. I salute you x
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    yeah, if you could find a way to walk alongside her and start a convo like "god this hill is so bad in this weather, so deed, I've seen you walk up here quite a few times, pretty impressed tbh" type thing
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Do it. Worst case she gives you a dirty look. Best case is that you make her day.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Print out some info about this website and pass it on, but be careful not to offend.
    Maybe this community could help her set and achieve some goals.

B
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Do it! Any act of kindness will not go unnoticed. I saw a heavy lady out jogging when I was on my walk. She looked like she was going to die so I gave her a thumbs up...she got a big smile and picked up her pace. Sometimes that is all someone needs!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay. I had a lady that lives nearby, but that I had never talked to, stop me to comment on my weight loss. When I started out I used to go walking once or twice a day so I would pass by her house a lot. It was kind of nice, even though I felt a bit embarrassed about it.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    keep in mind, maybe she is not walking for health at all, but out of necessity, so she may be even confused by you saying she did a good job. Maybe she doesnt own a car? I agree though, no harm done in a "way to go!"
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I think that might bring a smile to her face. I say might, because I don't know her, but it would make me smile. What could it hurt?
  • silverfox678
    silverfox678 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it would make her day knowing that someone noticed how she is improving her health by simply walking...
  • VICKYORTIZ
    VICKYORTIZ Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Righto.

I hear the people saying you can't just jump out of your car. All I am doing is dropping my kid at the station, so it will be very easy to stop the car somewhere and walk up with her.

God, too cocky, I am assuming I can catch up with her! Stay tuned.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Do it do it and let us all know how you went on!!! :O)
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    keep in mind, maybe she is not walking for health at all, but out of necessity, so she may be even confused by you saying she did a good job. Maybe she doesnt own a car? I agree though, no harm done in a "way to go!"

Good point, thanks.

I see her walking from the station, up and over the hill. She stops and waits at the bus stop just over the hill. That bus goes either to the university or to the golf club. If she caught the bus from the station I think the fare would be the same, i.e., one sector. I think she is walking for health, not money.