New scales blues

Options
My new scale is going to weigh me heavier (moan groan). I know that it is just a number and it doesn't make me think that I haven't really lost weight because my clothes fit better, my measurements are different and I can literally see the pouch in front shifting LOL. It is more my competitive nature showing itself and my not wanting it to look like I have gained weight where I am posting. So I am going to just leave my weight number alone until I am under it on my new scale. Probably take a couple of weeks since it looks like it is different by about 4 lbs.

Replies

• CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bought new scales 2 weeks ago and was so surprised : I weigh less than on the old one (1 lbs). A few days later I got my hair cut, from long to almost short. Another 0.5 lbs gone. Hahaha, this is what I call a real Scale-Victory :-)
    BUT: I am not happy with it because I lost more than possible and that confuses me and my maths ;)
    What I did? I am still using the old one
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a new scale arriving on Monday so I'm gonna be right there with you... I like my scale well enough but I'm afraid it's on the fritz so I have sent for another.

However you choose to do it, you'll be just fine.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Awww I'm sorry....I had to do that when I bought my new scale...It showed a 5lb difference. Not real fun when the new scale ruins the work you've put into it losing weight!

Don't let it discourage you.
  • artessa546
    artessa546 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have realized starting this that I also need a new scale, I'm curious to see how far off or on point I am.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Didn't post a weight last week because the number was up. Lots of non scale victories (especially when clothes shopping black Friday), but I can't bear to have it look like I'm backsliding. So I'll wait until there is a lower number to post. Best of luck!
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    remember that the scale is just a guide anyway. don't let the numbers on the scale dictate how you feel about yourself. I've been doing that for years and I'm trying to change my perspective a bit. Congrats on sticking to your plan. You're gonna do great!!
    -Andi
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    One thing that will help a lot is go by your doctors office and weigh then when you get home get right on the scale and weigh again. Yeah I know, dressed you weigh a ton more but who cares, you are just calibrating your scale. Would work if you weigh at a gym too. Just be sure to be dressed the same in both places. The scales available to us unless we want to spend a ton are an indicator and only accurate in a general tracking way but if you know what the difference is between yours and the doctors (which is calibrated) then you know where you are at for real.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I do the same thing. Didn't post a weight last week because the number was up. Lots of non scale victories (especially when clothes shopping black Friday), but I can't bear to have it look like I'm backsliding. So I'll wait until there is a lower number to post. Best of luck!

Glad to know that I am not the only one doing that!!!
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had this happen too; I had a really crappy scale that always read at 154 no matter what (was it a joke scale?) and then I brought home my trusty super-awesome digital scale (it even measures bone density and body fat %!) and suddenly I was 161. Yikes.

I have to recommend AGAINST not marking the gain. Don't you want to keep track of your weight progress, even if the number is higher than before? I personally fall off track if I don't keep tabs on my progress. I at first skipped logging a gain, but when the gain stuck around I just sucked it up and logged it, which I don't regret.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I should have said that the reason I got a new scale is that i realized the old one was really wonky. It used to be that if I weighed several times, it would start giving me the same number. But then it went to giving me 5 different numbers with a spread of 6 lbs between them! So not working at all really which means I don't really have a number for when I started. But the new one this morning gave me the same number three times in a row - woo hoo!!! I only wish I would have been a little more proactive and bought it to start with.

I really like weighing in once a week, first thing in the morning with the same amount of clothes and all so that I don't play mind games with the number. I don't care so much what the exact number is but I do want to know if what I am doing is working and the difference in the numbers is one way to measure.
  • SooZ1138
    Options
    I had the same thing to happen to me!!! My difference was 5 pounds!!!! I suspected my scale was lying to me (very kindly) when I went to the gym and decided to weight myself using their scale and noticed a huge difference. I bought a newer (more expensive) scale and low and behold! I was heavier than I thought (sad face). All wells! I'm living by my measurements now... not the scale (I just use it as an added bonus now).
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    yeah, why is it that the cheap scales make us weigh less, and the fancy ones make us weigh more? :'( not much incentive to get a fancy scale... lol.