frozen spinach ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I have frozen (i froze it from fresh baby spinach i bought from costco) and i have no idea what to do with it! Any ideas? I have used some of it before for not so healthy dishes .. problem is, once i take it out of the freezer and it defrosts, its pretty wilted and soft and decreases a lot in size.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    I make this quiche and eat it for breakfast. It freezes and reheats really well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/340911-spinach-onion-feta-quiche?hl=spinach+feta+quiche#posts-4586607
  • I add it to speghetti sauce....extra veggies for us and the kids!
  • _SusieQ_
    Also, you can mix the spinach with fat free ricotta cheese and mozzarella, stuff large manicotti shells, cover with marinara sauce and bake.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Use it in a spinach dip. Try Knorr's spinach dip.
    http://knorr.com/Recipes/6200/1/Knorr-Spinach-Dip.aspx
  • Rheatheylia
    Rheatheylia Posts: 53 Member
    Add some to a fruit smoothie to make a green smoothie, super easy way to trick yourself into getting more veggies!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Also, you can mix the spinach with fat free ricotta cheese and mozzarella, stuff large manicotti shells, cover with marinara sauce and bake.
    This is what I do and it's delicious!
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    I add frozen spinach to enchiladas..

use the green enchilada sauce and add black beans and spinach. Great with pepper jack cheese and fresh chopped green onion and a jalapeno!!!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Mix it with a few egg whites, some cottage cheese, a little pit of parm and spices. Bake it and you have yourself a delicious spinach pie!
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Spinach stuffed mushrooms, spinach stuffed chicken, spinach on top of salmon, spinach omelet, lol I love spinach
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    I put defrosted spinach in spaghetti, enchiladas, lasagna, etc. I also like to just heat it and eat it with deli mustard or sautee it with a little onion and garlic.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member

i did the same thing except i stuffed chicken breasts and made pasta noodles to serve with the chicken.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    All great ideas! I love to add it to scrambled eggs, eat it plain with some hot sauce, or cook the spinach, add some diced chicken, wholewheat pasta, diced tomatoes, jalepenos, & homemeade alfredo sauce..mmmmm
  • JenHollandsworth
    JenHollandsworth Posts: 25 Member
    I like to saute spinach with onions, mushrooms, olivio, and spices. Then, I use it as filling in burritos and enchiladas.
  • _SusieQ_
    I add frozen spinach to enchiladas..

use the green enchilada sauce and add black beans and spinach. Great with pepper jack cheese and fresh chopped green onion and a jalapeno!!!

*swoon* I think I'm crushing on you. :love:
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Saute spinach, tomatoes, onions - sprinkle with a little italian seasoning & parmesan or feta cheese

I also dump frozen spinach into stews that are slow cooking overnight with lots of veggies like turkey vegetable chili or curry black beans & chicken
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    I'm going to add a box of frozen spinach to my lasagna soup tonight. But I love spinach.

OR:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/spinach-lasagna-rolls.html

OR:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/creamed-spinach-lightened-up.html

OR add it to eggs, soup, stuff chicken. Spinach ideas are endless!
  • WOW :happy: thank you all for these ideas!! Definately going to give them a try!!
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    I like it with scrambled eggs and salmon :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    cook some red lentils with some chopped onions and carrots and garlic. When the lentils are mushy and you have soup consistency. add the spinach and cook for a few minutes. Add salt, pepper and lemon/lime juice to taste. YUM!
  • I add frozen spinach to homemade Italian wedding soup, vegetable soup and spaghetti sauce.