sleeping immediately after exercising

Options
Strange question but I recall often in college having a habit of working out and then getting back to my dorm/apartment and wanting to crash in my bed to just sleep. I was told by a Physical education professor ( I was a PE Major) that doing this pretty much cancelled out all of my hard work and it was as if I never worked out. Does anyone know any truth to this? I am no longer in school but I still get this urge to want to take a nap after cooling my body down and stretching after a hard workout...I often resist because of this fear that the exercise wouldn't "count"....please tell me any thoughts....Thanks!

Replies

• Mickeycs
    Options
    The logic doesnt make any sense, unless you are sleeping during times when you would normally be awake. For example, if you take an afternoon nap, the total calories burned during the nap would be less than if you were awake, moving, talking, etc... So if your awake 14 hours each day and spend one of them working out it shouldnt matter when you sleep.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I work shiftwork. I often have to get a workout in then nap for backshift. Or by the time my 12 hour shift is over and I make it to the gym, I am ready for bed shortly after I get home.
    I don't know for sure what effect it might have, but I honestly do not believe it "cancels out" my entire effort. My body still burned those calories before I slept. At worst, I figured it may slow down my after burn, but I am not even sure of that.
    I have still had results, so...
    I am interested in other answers.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I always work out in the evenings and it has never adversely affected me. I even read somewhere that you get a greater burn during sleep if you did HIIT. Last year when I lost so much weight, I was always working out and then going to bed within an hour and it didn't hurt anything
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I would if I had the time! Sounds positively blissful!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out first thing in the morning, but I can't do it. Not if I want to be able to function at work.

It's simple. Working out makes me sleepy. I workout 7pm or later, go home, eat, get ready for bed then pass out.

I always have my best nights sleep on the nights I work out. I don't feel like it's cancelling itself out when I do this, but whatever.

At the end of the day, I've still worked out so, really, how much damage can sleeping after you've taxed your body be??

Until someone can show me scientific proof along with studies that sleeping post-workout is truly a hinderance, I'll do what my body prefers me to do.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Both sleep and exercise are great for your overall health and well being! I get as much of both in whenever I can! I'm thankful if I get enough of each of them in.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    3 nights a week I work out at 10:00PM or later and then go to bed after my shower. I still get results so I see no truth in what you were told.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    While I'm not sure and do not have research to back this, I would believe that this is COMPLETELY FALSE. I mean the logic of it doesn't make sense at all. Your muscles will still need to be repaired (in which sleep helps tremendously), you will still need to burn calories for organ function, not to mention the after burn you will still get from a workout.

The only thing I can say is that I am not usually sleepy after a workout. My heart rate is usually high and I may be physically drained, but will not be able to sleep. I've seen others mention this and site this as a reason for not working out late. If you can sleep after a workout, more power to you:)
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. That doesn't make any sense.

Of course you're going to burn more calories if you continue walking, moving around, etc. than if you're lying motionless in your bed. But does that mean the calories you burned during a workout somehow go back onto your body... uh, no.
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    I was told by a Physical education professor ( I was a PE Major) that doing this pretty much cancelled out all of my hard work and it was as if I never worked out. Does anyone know any truth to this?

Well, it's understandable that you are exhausted from your exercise like myself but the professor did not expound on why. It may have something to do with replenishing your body after exercise. You should be eating nutrient rich food within 45 minutes after your workout to replace the good nutrients lost in exercising for a prolonged period of time. I got this information from a 20-year fitness coach. Hope this helps.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've read some research about how, after an intense workout, some people will decrease the amount of activity they do the rest of the day, so their total calorie burn is less than if they hadn't worked out (effectively negating the workout). However, if taking a short nap gives you enough energy to do your regular stuff for the rest of the day, then you're fine. Or if you nap when you'd normally be sleeping. But if you do a great workout--hard or intense-- at 8 am, then nap the rest of the morning away, and watch tv all afternoon because you're too tired to move, instead of your normal activities (of course, if these are your normal activities, you aren't negating your workout), I could see how that could be twisted into "negating" the workout. At least in terms of total calories burned.
  • echandle12
    Options
    This is a really interesting questions, because on my weekends I will workout, nap and then go along with my day. I typically work out at 6 AM during the week, so I LOVE my naps. I wonder if there is research on this?? I don't think its true through, you still burn and move on with your day. I figure a nap is your body getting what it needs.

Good Luck Everyone!!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I always work out in the evening around 7....after I'm done I eat dinner and after that I just crash. It has never had any adverse affect on me
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- I think you help put my mind at ease. I never asked the question because I thought I was strange for questioning it myself. I appreciate the feedback:) Napping here I come!
  • fish_liver_oil
    Options
    Actually.. On the contrary... I was wondering about sleeping right after cardio... But both times it worked in my favor.. I've been running every morning for about 2 months... My weight drops but at a steady rate. Yesterday, like any other day, wake up, hit the treadmill, HIIT style, come home and continue my day... Of course using the fitness pal calorie counter to make sure I stay within my weight goal. Yesterday morning before my treadmilling, I weighed myself and then again after treadmilling, then again yesterday night before bed, then again first thing this morning before treadmilling. The scale showed the same weight, and my omron showed that I was 22.8% body fat. However this morning, after my HIIT on treadmill, I got home showered and then went back to sleep for about 45 min before it was time to get ready for work. I haven't eaten yet... I stepped on the scale and the weight seemed to have dropped quite a bit.. Like half a pound... My omron also dropped to 21.2 % body fat. I'm not sure why? Could it really be the after burn after HiIT is better during that 45min nap ? I'm gonna try it this new routine for the next couple of weeks to see if it was just an anomaly or if it having that nap really have an effect.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    That's why I have so much trouble getting into a regular, rigorous workout program. When I work out hard I want to rest afterwards.

Enjoy it if you can.
  • Jesysca
    Jesysca Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same question as yours. I have no time for a day since working and studying and got back home for 10. So I did 30 minutes workout (weight lifting /dumbell) then I sleep :(
  • Dalnurse
    Options
    Today I was WIPED after HIIT and controlled fatigue training.... Just wiped... Yeah, I napped.... There's no science that says it's "undone". Work is work... Although I'll probably be up all night... (btw, I have a baccalaureate in human sciences). I think maybe the professor was alluding to the fact that in the long run, we should be energized by our fitness, not tired. However, it's about listening to your body... I overdid it...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    OP, your PE professor is an idiot. Full stop.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    OP, your PE professor is an idiot. Full stop.

Truth.

If I had to hazard a guess at the why you crash, I'd say that your body is seeking sleep as a form of 'recovery and repair' following exercise. Repair muscle damage, metabolize energy more effeciently...etc.

I won't hazard a guess as to why a College Professor presumably with a PhD is so blatantly stupid.