Training for 10K

Options
Hey everybody, I am planning on training for a 10K and I am looking at a training program on runnersworld.com and wondering how many mph I should be "running?" If anyone knows it would be great to find out! Thanks!

Replies

• scrappy11
    Options
    Hey everybody, I am planning on training for a 10K and I am looking at a training program on runnersworld.com and wondering how many mph I should be "running?" If anyone knows it would be great to find out! Thanks!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just wanted to say way to go on training for a 10K. I am hoping to run / powerwalk a 5K this coming fall.
  • scrappy11
    Options
    Thank you! I am excited..I love running so I think this will be a good fit and good goal for me! :tongue: Good luck!! :bigsmile:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half in April and eventually the chicago marathon in October. I think that running about 6mph is a good place to be, at least for me. I am still waiting for this weather to break (snowed again!) to see what I can really do outside. I got a Garmin Forerunner 305 for Christmas...definitely a geat training tool, I don't think I use more than 20% of its capabilities, it's hard for me to understand, sooo much to learn. But congrats on running! I absolutely love it!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The average runner, runs 125 metres a minute and completes 10k's in around 80 minutes, people who train on a regular basis though run this much quicker, it all depends at which level you're at, i've run it in 68 minutes which I thought was kinda slow...lol, but I haven't run competitively for quite a while due to knee surgery...i don't know if this helps you much, i'm canadian and don't do "miles" :laugh:
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just wanted to say way to go on training for a 10K. I am hoping to run / powerwalk a 5K this coming fall.

I am training for a 5k right now.. I ran 4.5 km this morning (I am British/Canadian).. it's been tough going, but I love it at the same time! Good luck on your 10k, I am aiming for this next year, but I want to get my 5k down first :laugh:
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I run a 10k in about an 8:30 mile pace. When I started running I was doing 10 min miles but picked it up as time went on.
  • Sheri4MS
    Sheri4MS Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running. I would start at 5.5 mph on the treadmill and see how that feels and increase .1 mph intervals as you feel ready. A lot of runners will start with a run walk approach until they get comfortable. We are currently in our 5th week of training for the half marathon. Most of our runners are now doing 10 1/2 minute miles or better.

Let me know if you have other questions or need more help. When is the 10K?

Thanks - Sheri
  • Redbug
    Redbug Posts: 41
    Options
    I ran 6 miles yesterday wearing a Polar F6 heart monitor and after we finished the results showed that my average HR was 178 (103%) with a max of 193 (113%). During the entire run I was able to talk (maybe not in whole sentences) but pretty much carry on a conversation and not terribly out of breath. Just trying to figure out if it's me or if others have had similar experiences.
    I ran a half-marathon in December and currently training for a half-marathon in April but just started using the HRM which told me my HR was functioning at above 100% for most of the run based on my age, weight and height and zone set by the HRM.