Gallbladder

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
Has anyone ever had their Gallbladder removed? Has that hindered your weight loss in any way? I am having mine taken out on Tuesday and I am very nervous!

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Removed? Yes.
    Hindered ANYTHING in my life? Nope.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i am gall bladder free :) it will stall your working out until the stitches/staples come out and for me i now have certain food i cant eat just because of that but honestly you will just get used to it and stick to your diet while you cant workout and all will turn out just fine. no need to be nervous dear :)
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    I go see the surgeon about mine tomorrow. My cousin just had hers out two weeks ago and is still doing well with weight loss. If anything, I think it will help in that you have to be more careful of your fat intake. She also said the surgery was a piece of cake. I saw her last week and she looks great -- getting around just fine! Good luck!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Had mine removed in 95. It hasn't hindered me in the least. In fact I would say it helped...I don't have to watch what I eat anymore so I can eat as spicy as I want.

My guy is having his out on Tuesday also! Good Luck!
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in April, and it was the best thing I've ever done for my health. My attacks were so painful before that I really couldn't exercise at all. The incisions were small and basically painless through recovery. After surgery I was back on track after my doctor gave me the go-ahead to continue working out. You'll be so glad you had it removed!
  • songbird1973
    Options
    I had mine out 2 years ago, and have no problem with weight loss. It helps that anything fattening goes straight through you for a little while. Always stay close to a bathroom right after eating because you never know when its gonna hit and when it does it hits hard. But you will be fine, was really not a big deal!
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    I had mine removed several years ago, hasn't hindered anythign that I've noticed. Best of luck to you with your surgery and recovery!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a year ago and I am SO glad that I did. I was getting horribly painful attacks! I has not hindered my weight loss one bit!! The surgery was a piece of cake...I was back to work in 4 days!. Don't be nervous, it's for the best!!
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    mine has been out for 3 years now, hasn't changed anything, just need to stick with the weight loss, I beleive I was told to stay away from fatty foods
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have had mine out for almost 2 years.
    They didnt do any staples or stiches, they used thats skin glue stuff.

4 ugly lil scars tho. "/

Agree with the top post... Stay near a bathroom until you figure out what you can & CANT eat.
    It changes ur eating habits for sure, so it probably helps with ur diet more then it hinders it.
  • bitzee
    bitzee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in february and took a 3 week break from the strenuous exercise, was worried id put weight on but i didnt. As soon as i started back the jogging it continued to drop as slowly as it always had done!! Stuck at a plataeu now but i think thats cos im so near goal, sure itll pass. I feel great now and dont get any discomfort from any foods but i dont eat much of the bad stuff anyway, think because it used to make me so ill when i had gallstones its put me off!!!!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last summer and I got very very very thin. My body wasn't able to digest anything properly for a couple of months and I couldn't keep weight on! Good luck with everything! Wish you the best!
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a few years ago and I am fine! in fact i lost all my weight after the surgery ! i am so happy i am pain free .. gallstones are the worst!
  • fitnhealthy21
    Options
    Has anyone ever had their Gallbladder removed? Has that hindered your weight loss in any way? I am having mine taken out on Tuesday and I am very nervous!

My was taken out when I was 19, a little over a year ago. I've lost 20 lbs in about 4 months, so I don't really think it has made any difference. I have had to change my eating habits though.. which is not a big deal though because I need to be eating healthy anyway! And like everything else, it gets better with time! =) Don't be nervous, because you'll be feeling much better in a few days.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just to tell you about my experience....

I was having horrible pain with my gall bladder a couple years ago. I was given a lot of pressure to do surgery by my doc, so got a second opinion. After the advice of another doc, I did a simple gall bladder cleanse and immediately altered my diet and managed to avoid surgery, thankfully! Haven't had any problem since! Of course, yours may be too far along to avoid surgery...so you obviousy want to do what is best. = )

I would search "gall bladder" in the forum and it will pull up a thread with a lot of responses with people sharing their experiences after surgery. Good luck!
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed abut 3 years ago. I struggled for a long time until this last summer when I finally learned how to eat right. Stay away from high fat foods, they will just go right through you. Don't eat too much fiber either, as soon as I cut back on my fiber I started losing weight, and I think that is because now my body at least gets a chance to retain some of the nutrients.
    Best of luck to you in your surgery, it is for the best though, you will no longer be in pain.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly.....but it's good to hear from all you 'gallbladder free' people! It's very hard to explain to people who have never had a gallbladder attack exactly how painful they actually are!!!! I used to pass out from the pain!! It's good to know there are people out there on MFP who can relate!!!!
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can relate all too well! My attacks started about a month ago. I see a surgeon tomorrow about having it removed. According to the test it's operating at 9%. I currently can't eat hardly anything that doesn't upset it. I have never looked so forward to surgery in my life. And after reading all your posts, I am even more certain this is the right thing to do. Pain free sounds amazing!!!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of your replies, I really appreciate it. You are making me feel much better!

I can't believe that so many of you have had this surgery
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly.....but it's good to hear from all you 'gallbladder free' people! It's very hard to explain to people who have never had a gallbladder attack exactly how painful they actually are!!!! I used to pass out from the pain!! It's good to know there are people out there on MFP who can relate!!!!
    I hear ya. Terrible pain, and so glad to have it out.