The pain!!!

Options
Just started working out again after a baby and of course in pain from doing JM's workout -- not the 30DS but another one on Comcast that is more cardio and goes 45 min. It hurts all day to move. What do you do...do you keep it up every day or do you alternate and do something else to let your body recover? It seems like this is always why I quit...it starts hurting and I take a break and forget to go back to it. ;-) Is it okay to exercise thru pain?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Your body does need time to rest, especially when you're just getting started. That rest is even more important after having a baby. Start out slow to ease your body back into things and try drinking a protein shake made with natural sugar (not artificial sweeteners) after to help your muscles recover faster.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I know for me personally, I need a day between really tough work outs for recovery. Especially when I start something new. I know my hubby alternates upper and lower workouts for the same reason though he will exercise everyday. I alternate days when I do something like JM's workout and then do either a different focus or walk the next day.

Good Luck
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You don't exercise through pain.. but you do push through 'sore'. Pain stops you from proceeding, it's a defense mechanism that lets you know something's wrong. Sore is just muscle breakdown, push through it.
  • CurlyQTee
    Options
    I rest my body on the 4th day. I workout through the pain but, I've done this for years. I never work out the same muscle groups two days in a row. Are you drinking enough water and stretching after each workout. I do yoga after my work outs. Hope this helps
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Well, I should have said I didn't "just" have a baby...he's almost 11 months old. So I'm not really recovering from that anymore. Thanks for the tip. I don't seem to have time for outdoor walking/running because of the temps here right now and needing to take baby along, so it's just a matter of finding another activity indoors during the one time slot I have in the day (baby's morning nap).
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Just started working out again after a baby and of course in pain from doing JM's workout -- not the 30DS but another one on Comcast that is more cardio and goes 45 min. It hurts all day to move. What do you do...do you keep it up every day or do you alternate and do something else to let your body recover? It seems like this is always why I quit...it starts hurting and I take a break and forget to go back to it. ;-) Is it okay to exercise thru pain?

Make sure you are stretching out really, really well. That build up of lactic acid after a workout is what makes you so sore. Increase your protien intake after workout too.

Today it will be too late for the stretching to work it all out. So take some advil and a hot bath, and just work your way trough the soreness. You will feel better in a day or so.
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started doing 30DS, and I get sore after too. I try to take some Advil, stretch, and take a warm shower. That really helps a lot. Its just your muscles strengthening. I have noticed that if I push through and keep working out even when I am a bit sore that it goes away faster and I feel like I have more endurance quicker than if I baby it along.

Then again, I have started this up three times now, and always end up stopping for one reason or another. Maybe 4th time's the charm?? Good luck to you!!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the encouragement. I went ahead and did my exercise again today and even made it through the whole thing (a big deal for me)! The soreness went away as I exercised. You know, I quite early the last couple of days to make sure I could take a shower before the baby got up, and I missed the cool down. Big mistake! You'd think I'd know that by now. ;-)