Just ran my first 3 miles...mostly

Options
mauswood
mauswood Posts: 137 Member
A friend of mine convinced me it would be a great idea to run in a 5k THIS Sunday. I just found out about it this week. Running 3 miles, no problem right? Well, I'm not a runner. I was going to start about a month and half ago, then life got busy. And even though I had been working out all summer I suddenly became a slug and haven't been working out at all. So with a couple of days left before the 5K (all of which I am super busy), I decided to just go out and try to run 3 miles near my house. And although I walked more than I wanted to (running uphill in freezing cold weather tends to make my lungs freeze), I managed to cover nearly 4 miles in 30 minutes. I ran an extra eight tenths of a mile to make up for walking some of the 3. So although it may not be pretty on Sunday, and I might have to walk some of it, I know I'll be able to do it. Not having to run uphill half the time might help too. Anyway - I was just proud and felt like sharing. Now I remember why I wanted to take up running in the first place. And this Sunday is just a step in the right direction of getting me motivated again :)

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    No shame in walking some of it if that's what you need to do, trying to prematurely overdo it might lead to injury.

Congrats to you...and you should be proud! Hope you have a great time. :flowerforyou:
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    4 miles in 30 minutes is pretty awesome for being "not a runner'. - Great job! (you really are a runner!)
  • stajken
    Options
    You SHOULD feel proud! That is amazing! I've been training for 3 months and running even 2 miles still kicks my butt (even though I can run 4 if I "have" to). You should really put some training it--I bet you would be a really natural runner!! (very unlike me). :)

Staci
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great job...I've been a slug too lately, I'm not sure why because I always feel good when I get out and move. I think your time is excellent BTW! It'll be a lot prettier than my 1st 5K...I did (ran and walked) it in just over 41 minutes and was thrilled to have finished. I'm a Heavyweight Runner, but I'm a runner!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    4 miles in 30 minutes is pretty awesome for being "not a runner'. - Great job! (you really are a runner!)

^^^ Agreed!!!! That's a 7.5 minute mile! That's incredible!
    Get up near the front for that 5k - you could have a chance of placing in your age group! :D
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    4 miles in 30 min??? girl that is dang fast...especially if you are not a runner...you must have been super power walking....AWESOME
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    congrats. if your race is on sunday, i wouldn't run for the next few days, just to stay safe. no need in getting tired or injured. you can do the distance, so thats no problem. also, on saturday night you can allow yourself some carbs like pasta or something. don't over do it,it is only a 5k.

and on race morning, eat a normal breakfast, like you would any other day, and don't break your routine. good luck!!
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options

^^^ Agreed!!!! That's a 7.5 minute mile! That's incredible!
    Get up near the front for that 5k - you could have a chance of placing in your age group! :D

Umm yeah that's fantastic!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You did great! You will be just fine on Sunday, the race will pump you up and you'll do even better. Just don't go out too hard or too fast at the beginning!
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You did a 7.5 minute mile and walked part of it? Were you on a bus?
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You did a 7.5 minute mile and walked part of it? Were you on a bus?

HAHAHAHA!!!
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Was going to say I run all the time and my fastest 5k is 25 mins!! Well done you! You will easily do the 5k on sunday !! :-)
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So...how was it then? :-)
  • drizzella
    Options
    That is awesome! I am training for my first half marathon and it takes me about 45-50 minutes to go 4 miles so you are doing AWESOME! I think you are going to rule!! And I have been training for a couple of months. So you are fast.
  • drizzella
    Options
    That is awesome! I am training for my first half marathon and it takes me about 45-50 minutes to go 4 miles so you are doing AWESOME! I think you are going to rule!! And I have been training for a couple of months. So you are fast.
  • HealthyJenn0712
    Options
    Awesome! 4 miles in 30 is great! I am a runner too, and the feeling is soo addictive. Keep up the good work!
  • kybrandyb
    kybrandyb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Inspirational ! I would LOVE to be able to run a 5k. I was just telling my boyfriend that the other day. I have been walking at 4mph and throwing in some running at 5mph in my walk. Its so hard but it feels good after!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    So...how was it then? :-)

Indeed - how did it go?? Was it a big race? Hope you had fun!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!