Mickie's Test Kitchen: Jillian Michaels Making the Cut Recip

Options
Hey there!

Okay, in an ongoing effort to play food critic and share cost savings & shortcut ideas for Jillian Michaels Making the Cut meal plan...here's the latest scoop on the past two days meals:

Caribbean Salad: Not bad, not bad at all. I decided to forego the extra blending step...seemed like a time waster....so I diced the mango in small pieces. It was worth the price of shrimp and scallops.

Shrimp and Asparagus Salad---WOW! This was tasty...there are short cuts here too, I worked backwards and sauteed the onion & garlic first, then added in the asparagus, shrimp and beans to heat through...then added the chicken broth, etc. and poured over my spinach greens! YUM!!!

On tap for tomorrow: Shrimp Fajitas! I'm skipping the tomatillos, because there weren't any at the store I was at.

Replies

• Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Okay, in an ongoing effort to play food critic and share cost savings & shortcut ideas for Jillian Michaels Making the Cut meal plan...here's the latest scoop on the past two days meals:

Caribbean Salad: Not bad, not bad at all. I decided to forego the extra blending step...seemed like a time waster....so I diced the mango in small pieces. It was worth the price of shrimp and scallops.

Shrimp and Asparagus Salad---WOW! This was tasty...there are short cuts here too, I worked backwards and sauteed the onion & garlic first, then added in the asparagus, shrimp and beans to heat through...then added the chicken broth, etc. and poured over my spinach greens! YUM!!!

On tap for tomorrow: Shrimp Fajitas! I'm skipping the tomatillos, because there weren't any at the store I was at.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Shrimp Fajitas were fantastic!!! So good, that I'm planning to make them again tomorrow...again without the tomatillos...no need. :smile:

Something else I've been doign is switching around the meals during the week to take better advantage of the produce I have (so food doesn't get wasted), and time I have to prepare the meals.

Also, I find that her dinners are great but we sometimes have leftovers, so I use those for my lunches the next day....and I don't worry too much about her lunch menus....mostly salads anyway.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts--- 4 THUMBS DOWN!!!!!!!!

Okay...when you make this, piard the chicken, then marinate over night in white wine. The filling needs more spice...don't go salt, because you'll add toomuch sodium, but try to add some of your favotie spices, and go minced garlic instead of the garlic powder. Hopefully that will help give this recipe some life.

New RECIPE: Mickie's Zucchini Medally
    Heat
    Olive oil-1 -2 TBS in a saute
    Minced garlic-1 tsp---
    generous sprinkle of Italian Seasonings

Add & saute
    onion-chopped 3minutes
    zucchini-diced-2 minutes
    1/2 cup white wine-30 seconds
    1 can diced tomatoes-1-2 min

Crumble and melt 2 oz of goat cheese on the top, mix in. Serve----MUCH faster than a baked eggplant or zucchini, and delicious!!! Enjoy!
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Your zucchini recipe looks great!:bigsmile: I don't like eggplant- I did try, but still don't like. This looks like a nice substitute.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    what does piard a chicken mean? I cook but I'm not familiar with term:blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Hey Mickie, you're a Sweetheart for sharing these!:happy: Silly me I"m now wondering if that above was a simple typo and means 'pound' the chicken?.:laugh: :blushing: Silly me

FC:heart:
  • Mickie17
    Options

Hey Mickie, you're a Sweetheart for sharing these!:happy: Silly me I"m now wondering if that above was a simple typo and means 'pound' the chicken?.:laugh: :blushing: Silly me

FC:heart:
    Hey there, yes, Chicken Piard means pounded out chicken. :happy:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I made the Jambalaya. It was VERY good!!!! Definitely reccomend it.

I made a cold version of the Shrimp & Asparagus salad. No spinach, extra asparagus, and added red peppers. I used a low-cal, no oil citrus dressing. I also made the chicken crunch salad but used shrimp instead of chicken. Will let you know later today how they tasted as I made them late last night for today.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Chicken Soft tacos with sauteed chicken and apples. A WINNER!!! BUT......

Luckily, April gave me the heads up on this recipe, so, here's how I revised it to have more flavor and still be quick to make:

2 large chicken breasts
    Generously sprinkled with: CUMIN, CORRIANDER & slight sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper

Microwaved about 2 minutes, then flipped over and repeated the above seasonings.
    Microwaved again until done.

While microwaving I sauteed the thinly sliced onions and granny smith apple, added about a tsp of minced garlic.

Chopped up the chicken and added to the mixture....VOILA! It was really different, but good!
    I did dollop with fat free sour cream and a 1/4 of an avocado. YUM!!! I will make this again...I think it would make a great spring dinner. :happy:

We had fat free refried beans on the side...It's been over an hour and I'm still full...on ONE taco!!! Amazing!!! I love how certain healthy foods really fill you up!!!:happy:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Mickie,
    Great ideas on the modification! I'll give the extra spices a try! Sour cearm and avocado! Yum!:love:
    I've had to break from the plan the past day, and tonight. Hubby just back from London. My son INSISTED on lasagna. I plugged everything in- 500 cals per serving!!!:grumble: :noway: I had 1/2 a serving and a large salad, plus 2 moderate glasses of wine. Tonight, going out to dinner. Although I'll attempt to make good choices.... Tomorrow's a new day. The treadmill calls!!!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Mickie,
    Great ideas on the modification! I'll give the extra spices a try! Sour cearm and avocado! Yum!:love:
    I've had to break from the plan the past day, and tonight. Hubby just back from London. My son INSISTED on lasagna. I plugged everything in- 500 cals per serving!!!:grumble: :noway: I had 1/2 a serving and a large salad, plus 2 moderate glasses of wine. Tonight, going out to dinner. Although I'll attempt to make good choices.... Tomorrow's a new day. The treadmill calls!!!
    I LOVE your attitude April!!! Have a grat time with your husband!!!! I'm planning to break with the plan starting next weekend...I had to go to a funeral today, Irish, and I was proud of myself for abstaining...I really MISS a great glass of wine with dinner!!!!

Tonight I'm making the Chicken Mole...have you made that yet?
  • Mickie17
    Options
    HOLY MOLY, Chicken Mole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGosh....4 thumbs UP!!!!

Yumm-o! This was really good and a fun new dish for my family, who all said it was a "KEEPER.":happy: I didn't do any variations, but we did have my faux refried beans on the side (1 can of chili beans...NOT chili, and 1 can of pinto beans---both drained, mixed together, then mashed with a potato masher---very high in fiber and protein).

It was good and filling! Oh...and tangerines for dessert (and 2 mini red velvet cupcakes). :happy:
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Mickie,
    I LOVE your attitude April!!! Have a grat time with your husband!!!! I'm planning to break with the plan starting next weekend...I had to go to a funeral today, Irish, and I was proud of myself for abstaining...I really MISS a great glass of wine with dinner!!!!

What self-control!! Had a great dinner!:happy: Did my best to log in the food- non-chain restaurant, so no calorie contents anywhere. Came under what I had allotted!!!!:drinker: I start week 2 tomorrow. Will substitute the Chicken Mole for the lamb.

Have you been making many substitutions? I've made quite a few- either due to ingredient availability or personal preference. Does it really make that much difference as long as you're using the recipes for your metabolism- i.e. balanced for me??:huh:

I have to say, I feel great, so that's a plus!:bigsmile:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Mickie,

What self-control!! Had a great dinner!:happy: Did my best to log in the food- non-chain restaurant, so no calorie contents anywhere. Came under what I had allotted!!!!:drinker: I start week 2 tomorrow. Will substitute the Chicken Mole for the lamb.

Have you been making many substitutions? I've made quite a few- either due to ingredient availability or personal preference. Does it really make that much difference as long as you're using the recipes for your metabolism- i.e. balanced for me??:huh:

I have to say, I feel great, so that's a plus!:bigsmile:

How funny...I just logged back in! (I was looking up new exercise dvds...got any you would recommend?) I should post that??? Hmm...

The one thing I subsitute is tilapia for all the white fish...oh I also substituted a tri-tip roast for the lamb, because I had it in the freezer and didn't want it to go bad...PLUS, it saved me $$$. I'm glad to only have one week left....but thrilled to have some new recipes to add to our Monthly Menu. I really did like those soft tacos and was absolutely astounded that we all like the chicken mole tonight. I've been really passing the fruit around the table after we eat, to try to get my kids to eat one more serving of something healthy, in case they are still hungry...so I'm noticing we're going through a lot more fruit these days. This is something I wish I would have started 16 years ago! I think one thing I've learned is that during the winter, our family tends to eat less vegetables...so I need to be more mindful of that in the future. I love that I crave healthy foods now, instead of all junk food. However, can't beat that urge to have some wine and cheese! I re-read about that tonight in the book...and refreshed my memory on why we're supposed to do it...I had forgotten about the estrogen release stuff...It makes sense, but I really want a glass of wine! :tongue: (Truth betold, I was jealous :laugh: that you got to go out tonight and splurge...so I had to remind myself of why I wasn't...DUH me, my husband didn't just get home from London:happy: We're planning a Pink Slip Party for next weekend anyway...so I'm supposed to save my splurge for then!:happy: ).
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that this is a new cookbook ( or old) that is out on the market. Please let me know.....from what you have posted so far, the receipes look great!
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume that this is a new cookbook ( or old) that is out on the market. Please let me know.....from what you have posted so far, the receipes look great!

It;s from jillian Michael's 'Making The Cut' 30 day workout program. It goes day by day of the workout routines and it gives what you should eat during the time. It has MANY recipes. Most of the ones I have tried so far are good, and Lo-Cal. The program is not for the beginner as the workouts are pretty intense, but well worth it. I am liking the program, I have tried some recipes, but I am not following her meal plan as the one I have been on is similar, so why change now. Take care.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

It;s from jillian Michael's 'Making The Cut' 30 day workout program. It goes day by day of the workout routines and it gives what you should eat during the time. It has MANY recipes. Most of the ones I have tried so far are good, and Lo-Cal. The program is not for the beginner as the workouts are pretty intense, but well worth it. I am liking the program, I have tried some recipes, but I am not following her meal plan as the one I have been on is similar, so why change now. Take care.

Thanks for the info!

Like that photo with th 14!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Morrocan Chicken with a healthier twist!

Okay it was back to this recipe again tonight, so we kicked it up a notch! Instead of rice, etc, My husband made "Big Salads"...all healthy stuff. Then I made the chicken...but I did it in the microwave and flipped every 3 minutes until done. Sliced up and served on the salads! YUMMMM!

So we got our healthy protein plus several servoings of healthy veggies!!!
  • aprilvet
    Options
    Had 2 great dishes today!! Lunch was the California Chicken Salad with Avocado and Mango!!! Fantastic!!!!!:drinker: I had some leftover chicken so just re-heated it with some of the sauce instead of grilling fresh. Added some arugula to the greens. YUMMY! Dinner tonight was the Tomatillas with Shrimp. I added the green salsa- spicy- after I served the kids. Everybody really liked this!! However, my corn tortillas fell apart.:grumble:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Had 2 great dishes today!! Lunch was the California Chicken Salad with Avocado and Mango!!! Fantastic!!!!!:drinker: I had some leftover chicken so just re-heated it with some of the sauce instead of grilling fresh. Added some arugula to the greens. YUMMY! Dinner tonight was the Tomatillas with Shrimp. I added the green salsa- spicy- after I served the kids. Everybody really liked this!! However, my corn tortillas fell apart.:grumble:

Ooooh yum, Iliked those too!!!! Did you use the tomatillos???