Toast--what to put on it???

Options
As I track what I eat, I've been evaluating each item...trying to determine if I should continue eating it or perhaps reduce how much of it I eat. In the morning I like toasting my 100% whole wheat bread. I'm looking for suggestions for what to put on my toast. I like butter but am avoiding it due to the saturated fat. Margarine is ok but (after a thorough reading of ingredients at the store recently) I haven't found one that doesn't have either partially hydrogenated oils or preservatives I'm trying to avoid.

I'm not asking which is better...butter or margarine. I'm also not asking if I should continue to eat wheat or toast.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone found a margarine that doesn't have partially hydrogenated oils or preservatives?

2) Are there other (more healthy) alternatives you have found that you enjoy on toast?

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i love laughing cow cheese light spreadable cheese wedge on my wheat toast.

my favorite is french onion 35 cals a wedge 1 wedge covers two peices of toast
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is not poison. Butter is far better and healthier than any margarine.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I put 1 Tbsp peanut butter on my toast, or fry up an egg and eat on my toast like an open-faced sandwich.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    roasted red pepper hummus, or sugar free jam are faves for me.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i do just jelly or spray butter :) good luck
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Margarine is one of the worst things you could put in your body. It's basically plastic. Go with organic butter from grass-fed cows!!

I love peanut butter (the one where the ingredient is only peanuts and no additives) + banana on my toast :) YUM!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    Margarine is fake, stay away from it!

Butter, peanut butter, jelly, eggs, almond butter... there are a lot of choices for what you can put on your toast.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Butter is better for you than margarine...but I can't remember why! I did research it once.

I like applesauce on my toast. Peanut butter is good to if you want some protein in the morning. I put scrambled eggs on toast for my kids in the morning.

Experiment and find what you like. : )
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Are there other (more healthy) alternatives you have found that you enjoy on toast?
    Butter!!! Much better for you than the fake stuff. :wink:
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    I like butter...and my homemade jams and fruit butters...but just a bit...I used to plaster both on toast to where you could not even see the bread now I just lightly "stain" the bread with either of those...
  • JamieWILLBEFIT
    JamieWILLBEFIT Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I go for "i cant believe its not butter"
    and a
    sugar free jam like: Fit & Active (Aldi) - Reduced Sugar Fruits of the Forest Spread (that's how its stored on mfp database :)
    hope that helps
  • appleskye
    Options
    Maybe try a nut butter - just make sure you find an all-natural one. My favourite is hazelnut butter, it tastes like Nutella but it's so good for you... good luck! Sounds like you are focused on making the healthiest choices you can, which is great.

Edit: adidrea has just reminded me how good banana is on toast. Mmmmm
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I put half a tablespoon of peanut butter. yummy.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This may sound wrong to ask, but why not consider making a Sandwich with the toast?

I love eating a Ham sandwich with wheat bread in the mornings, with a glass of milk,
    Ham is 2 slices.
    I normally add a small tomato in slices, and this is about 500 calories total.

I don't know your calorie targets, but for my 2000 calorie target the 500 calories during breakfast is perfect !
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    1) Not that I know of - can't recall if Soy Garden brand has partially hydrogenated stuff or no.

2) I really enjoy peanut butter, PB & jam, or just plain jam on [Ezekial] toast.

Come to think of it, PB or almond butter is a nice butter substitute.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! We use Smart Balance light sometimes. Not sure if that qualifies for what you are looking for, but my son is allergic to milk and the product is dairy free!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is not poison. Butter is far better and healthier than any margarine.

YUM!

And...has anyone tried PB2? either plain or chocolate?
  • dropofhope
    Options
    I would go with butter. It's real. Margarine's chemicals come from what? I personally love peanut butter and banana on 9 grain toast. It is a lot of calories but it is real food and it's satisfying...

Good luck!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    I haven't used butter or margarine on my toast for years, way before I started my healthier habits. I just put peanut butter on it. It's what I have for breakfast pretty much every morning.
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! As long as you're using it sparingly (like not having PB & J for lunch every day, too), peanut butter is super good for you. And PB on whole wheat is a spectacular food before a workout or a race. Almost all the runners I know eat that before a race (including myself).