All aboard the Rollercoaster

Options
I feel like I have been on a weight loss rollercoaster for the last 18 years of my life. I have tried everything including phentermine which actually worked while I was taking it but as soon as I stopped I gained back all the weight and about 20 pounds more. I am extremely motivated for the first month or two when I decide that it's time to make a change but when I don't see the excitement in my family I start to lose steam and go back to my old habits.
I am a wife and mother of 4. Our kids range in age from 18 to 13 and they all lead very busy lives that I try to keep up with. With sports and church activities I am lucky to be home a couple of nights a week and it makes dinner time hard. I don't like eating when I get home because it's usually late so most of the time I end up skipping that meal which I know isn't good for me. Our daughter has decided to not participate in Basketball this year so I decided it was a good time to try to change my eating habits and lose weight once and for all. Our second daughter will graduate in 2013 and it is my goal to be at my ideal weight by that time. I have 100 pounds until I get there and I know it's not going to be easy. I have tried so many times that my family has all but given up on me, they are supportive at first but it seems at my first "slip-up" they all figure "well she's done with that now so we can go back to normal". I need to find a community of friends with a common goal that can keep me motivated and also someone that I can share my excitement with.
My turning point in wanting to do this once and for all was when I played JUST DANCE with my daughter and after we were done and I was all proud of myself she started laughing and said "wow, I can't believe you were once a cheerleader". I know she didn't mean anything by it but it really stung and made me realize that something needs to change.
I would appreciate any help that anyone is willing to give AND even though my daughter can't believe it, I WAS a cheerleader and a pretty good one at that so if you need a cheerleader on your side I will be there for you.

Replies

• Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have also been on a weight loss rollercoaster for a few years! I have three kids ages 10, 8, and 4 and a full time teaching job (45 minutes from my house). We barely have time for supper anymore as someone is always working , going to karate or what not. I have found success with this site! I wasn't a cheerleader but I was on Poms! lol! We could always use a good cheerleader so feel free to add me if you want! Good Luck!!
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the same motivation problem. This past year, I lost 40 pounds (still have 130 to go), but mid-year I lost motivation, gained 6 pounds back (I am proud I kept most of it off) and have not been able to start again. I need someone else to hold me accountable. So, I'm doing that now and meet with a personal trainer tomorrow. We will have meetings/training sessions twice a month and she'll review my progress and suggest changes. I've debated the expense, but I am worth it, and this is what I need to do to get healthy. I don't buy pre-packaged diet foods or pay for a weight watchers membership or anything like that, so this incremental expense ($40) is worth it. I'm sure I'll more than pay for it through eating out less ;0). Feel free to reach out if you need encouragement. I'm more of a brass tacks encourager than a cheerleader, though.